Dr. Kathryn Hirst MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry Encinitas, CA

3.9

May 31st, 2016
best mental health Dr.
She is the only psychiatrist I have found that I like. She is smart, compassionate, and really helps.

February 27th, 2015
Post Partum help
She is one of the best in her field and I don't know what we (my family) would have done without her.

August 11th, 2014
Do not recommend
Dr Hirst needs far more practice. She is arrogant and not as good at what she does as she might think. She pulls at a random bag of tricks attempting diagnoses and in turn makes patients worse & creates more problems you never knew you had (and dont exist). I do not recommend seeing her.

March 29th, 2014
Horrible Experience
Dr Hirst is not experienced enough to give the advice she gives. During my post-partum period, her very abrupt harsh comments and comments that were grasping at straws to figure out what I was thinking sent me spiraling into places I've never ever been in my life. Suggesting far more problems (that were in accurate) than I ever imagined anyone could create. I am now seeking so much more help to correct the damages she created. She needs to be much more sensitive to the sensitive nature of her patients as they come through her door in vulnerable states. I would caution anyone going to see her. She is relatively new in her field and it shows. I also agree with the other reviewer about her front desk staff leaving a lot to be desired.

July 25th, 2013
I adore Dr. Hirst!
I started seeing Dr. Hirst last year and she has been so very helpful. She;s gotten me through some hard times, even so more recently, and never makes me feel bad about what's happening. She's a fantastic listener and always has advice for me. I will say though, the people working the reception desk leave something to be desired, Don't hold them against Dr. Hirst.

October 26th, 2012

August 9th, 2012
Dr. Hirst helped me get out of the darkest time in my life and did not give up until we found the right medications to relieve my post partum depression. I trust whatever her recommendations are because she is so smart and thorough in her profession. she is highly recommended by her peers in the maternal mental health network in San diego and by obgyns as well. She was so kind and gentle and genuinely cared for my well being. She welcomed my daughter to visits and treated her to toys in her special chest. She always remembered where we left off without having to look at notes and knew every detail I had expressed without having to look it up which made me feel like she was always listening to me no matter how silly I thought things were to say.

February 24th, 2012
Dr, Hirst is FANTASTIC!
She is kind and caring and goes above and beyond to do what is best for her patients. The best care I have ever had has been with Dr. Hirst. She even has toys in her office for children to play with during appointments. I highly recommend her.

December 1st, 2010
Dr. Hirst is a wonderful psychiatrist - especially for pregnant women
I cannot overstate how wonderful Dr. Hirst has been as a physician to my family and I'm very surprised by the negative review on this site. My wife has suffered from depression for years and it has generally been well controlled with therapy and medication. We recently underwent fertility treatments and my wife's fertility doctors and psychiatrist decided it best to take her off of her medications. My wife's depression was quickly showing signs of worsening and taking her in a dreaded downward spiral. Her psychologist and primary physician were very concerned and her primary referred her to Dr. Hirst. In addition to presenting us with research demonstrating the safety of particular medications in pregnant women, she provided us with alternative treatments that had never before been presented as options. She was extremely knowledgeable of fertility procedures and depression in pregnant women. She stayed with us well over our allotted time during our first session to discuss the issues. Throughout the pregnancy, Dr. Hirst consulted and followed up with my wife's other physicians. Through collaboration with Dr. Hirst, our fertility clinic has changed its approach to depression in fertility patients. Dr. Hirst closely followed up with my wife and called to remind her of upcoming or missed appointments and kept up with my wife's care by other physicians, calling us each time she saw a change in the progression of the complicated pregnancy. She conducted phone sessions when my wife was placed on bed rest and visited us at the hospital after delivery. We were in a bad position when we first met Dr. Hirst and she provided the intensive and personalized support we needed. Dr. Hirst continues to be instrumental in helping keep my wife and baby healthy.

October 15th, 2010
The worst Therapy session EVER!
Dr. Hirst was dude, unprofessional and lacked the skills of even a mediocre doctor. After a 5 minute conversation she tried to push prescription drugs while offering NO other alternatives. When I questioned her thought process she became defensive and seemed uninterested in the appointment. So yes I DO tend to be anxious and yes I ask lots of questions but does this warrant pushing pills on me in the first meeting-NO WAY!!!! This really puzzled me so I I asked for second opinions and it turns out others within in her field who are much more experience had to laugh and just say what a joke. She is the type of Doctor that gives us all a bad name.Please be sure if you choose to visit her that you have a back bone and are ready to defend as she doesnt approach you with a calm demeanor.