Kathryn Simmons MD, FAAP Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

October 22nd, 2015
BEWARE: Do not take your newborn to Dr. Simmons
BEWARE: New parents, do NOT allow your newborn to be seen by Dr. Simmons for their first visit (or for any visit). We brought our daughter in for her first doctor visit when she was about 64 hours old (a bit early because it was a Friday and the alternative was bringing her in later than the normal schedule for baby's first visit). My wife's milk had just started to come in that morning, and our daughter had actually just had her first very successful feeding while we were in the room waiting for the doctor. Upon entering the room, Dr. Simmons told us that we should end her nursing session because, "after 10 minutes of nursing, there's nothing left for her to drink." This statement is contrary to every piece of published breastfeeding information we could find as well as the advice of the lactation consultants at TMH. Dr. Simmons proceeded to tell us that our daughter had lost 10% of her birth weight (completely normal at that point for exclusively breastfed babies) and gave us formula samples with instructions to feed her two ounces every two to three hours for the entire weekend. These instructions would have resulted and a virtual shutdown of human milk production and ended all chance of success at breastfeeding our daughter. When we explained to her that my wife had only just begun to produce milk and that it was very important to us that she be exclusively breastfed, Dr. Simmons told us that if we didn't immediately start feeding her formula we would be taking our daughter to the ER by Monday. She also added that her own children drank formula, and our children would happily do the same and be just fine. Dr. Simmons then left the room before even finishing a complete checkup of our daughter or answering the list of other questions we had brought with us. Luckily for us, we immediately called and made an appointment with the lactation consultants at TMH (Miss Liz is a godsend), and our daughter has been breastfeeding well ever since. She is now in the 85th percentile for weight and thriving. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life. Although this is medically the best food that can be given to a newborn, Dr. Simmons made every effort to undermine our ability to successfully breastfeed our child. Other people we know have had identical experiences with Dr. Simmons, and I can't imagine how many new mothers have switched to formula after receiving her terrible advice.

June 11th, 2013
average doctor..terrible office
I had o.k. experiences with Dr. Simmons but Tallahasse Pediatrics was such an awful experience for me. I have three kids and gave it a couple years but I do not believe they cared about my children's health only money and insurance! wrote them a letter about one of my worst experiences when my son had the flu and 105 degree temp and sent him home TWICE and we ended up in the emer. room and they sent me a letter back saying that I was lying about taking him to the emer. room because they didn't have a record of it!!!!

May 17th, 2013
Nightmare
Absolutely HORRIBLE doctor!! I had a nightmare visit with her today! She is the worst doctor/person that I have ever dealt with in my entire life!!

May 13th, 2013
Anyone BUT her
I always check every name on the sign in sheet except for hers when checking my children in for their appointments. My kids have been patients at Tally Peds since their were born (7 years) and I have had to deal with her 2 times - and that was enough. Impatient - terrible bedside manner - rude and aloof. Why on earth this woman chose to go into pediatrics I have no idea - she is terrible with children. Every other doctor there is wonderful - just stay away from her!

May 10th, 2013
Dr. Simmons is inpatient with parent questions and responds with a condescending tone. I will never bring my children to her again. There are other doctors at Tallahassee Primary Care Associates that are wonderful, Dr. Simmons is not one of them. Dr. Simmons has a terrible bedside manner.

October 26th, 2009
Kathryn Simmons is a wonderful doctor! I request her every time either of my children goes to the doctor's office because she is friendly with parents and children, takes time to answer all of my questions, addresses my concerns, and makes me feel as if she enjoys her job and enjoys being around kids. I highly recommend doctor Simmons! The only thing I don't like about this Doctor's office is the long wait to see a doctor if you don't come first thing in the morning.

April 12th, 2017