Surgeons
5353 Balboa Blvd
Ste 202
Encino, CA 91316
818-789-9449
Locations and availability (4)

3.0

|  LONG wait time, every time  |  show details
Dec 21st, 2013

Seems to work well with a teenager. However, waiting for up to two hours in the waiting room, then 1.5-2.5 hours in the exam area is utterly unacceptable. The first visit we thought it was a one-off. But the second and third visits were the same. I have to take an entire day off work to take my kid to see a back doctor?! Insane. For a 6 minute visit. In top of that no validated parking so it's $15 to park to boot. The loss of a day's income to wait for a doc plus parking and the maximum copay? A loss for six minutes of a doctor's expertise. He's a nice guy but that means nothing when it comes to care. The place is packed, standing room only all day long.

by Laura B. on Jul 19th, 2013

I called in the morning to see if I could get my 2year old in after a horrible experience at the hospital radiology dept. they worked me into their sched and warned me there would be a long wait. Let me tell you it was worth the wait!!! Everyone the was great and the doctor outstanding! He had my son laughing and the X-rays they took were done with ease. The tech was gentle unlike the guy at the hospital (who also misdiagnosed him and said nothing was broken!) My son broke his arm and has a cast for 4 weeks. I'm so thankful to have found Dr. Brookenthall!! I never write reviews but he made quite an impression!

|  Muscular Dystrophy Mom  |  show details
by Mom on Feb 17th, 2013

Dr. Brookenthal can be a "fast talker", which can be intimidating to some. However, he is very, very knowledgable. I had taken my son to countless specialists to determine what was causing his physical delays. Dr. Brookenthal suspected that my son had Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy within 10 minutes. He did not share this with me at the time, but sent me to the correct specialist that could order the correct diagnostic tools. My son does have bone issues, and we have used Dr. Brookental and Dr. Rosansky ever since. Both are very careful with injuries as they know how easy it is for a child to re-injure themselves.

|  Horrible Office Staff  |  show details
Jul 16th, 2012

The office staff in this office are the most discourteous group of people I have ever encountered in a medical setting. Clearly, no one has informed them that they aren't working at the DMV, but at an office that runs by the premiums from the patients being seen there. Dr. Brookenthal is fine, though overbooked. The office wait is 45 minutes and over. But his staff is so bad I won't even return to the office for a follow up.

|  Inaccurate assessment  |  show details
Feb 3rd, 2012

Dr. Brookenthal was only interested in continuing to keep my child in a cast and not trying to get to the root of the problem. Eight weeks in a cast for a sprain really. I would not recommend him to anyone.

Dec 29th, 2011

I have brought two of my kids to Dr. Brookenthal more than once, and would not hesitate to refer him or his office. I do know that sometimes there can be a wait, but to me that indicates that he is spending the necessary time with each patient. At a time when emotions are running high, he and his staff are calming and informative. He is a great doctor with an excellent bedside manner!

|  Good doctor, but sometimes you will have to wait  |  show details
Jun 1st, 2011

Dr. Brookenthal is an excellent doctor, but given the nature of his practice sometimes his schedule runs very late. Try to get appointments first thing in the morning.

|  mom  |  show details
by Maile B at Insider Pages on Oct 22nd, 2010 on insiderpages.com

Went to him for a second opinion. His bedside manner was good. Very knowledgeable in the treatment of my son`s feet, and was able to reassur...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com
 |  mom  |  show details
Jul 12th, 2009

Dr. Brookenthal is very knowledgeable about his profession. However, he explains things in a rush and does not allow parents to as question and if he does it's always in a rush. His expertise is dealing with normal kids who may only have light to moderate problems. I'm sure he is an excellent doctor when in comes in fixing broken ankle or arm. However, he lacks the knowledge when it comes in dealing with special children. In my opinion, he feels that children with special needs does not have any potential to improve and feels that they cannot progress to a better individual. He does not listen to your opinion and has negative views with preventive medicine. Nowadays, with health care system is in limbo preventive medicine is the other outlet because in the long run it will save insurance money and lessen the chances of children going thru major surgeries or if surgeries is a must the recovery will be faster. His staff are not friendly or helpful. They don't smile and most of all rude.

Jul 1st, 2009

Dr. Brookenthal takes his responsibilities very seriously. He is straight forward with his diagnosis and conservative in his approach. His first reaction is to treat a patient with every method possible before resorting to surgery. He presents each situation as objectively as possible and allows the patient to grapple with the situation before making a decision. He is extremely patient and compassionate. I highly recommend him to everyone. He does not treat patients on Medi-Cal any different than other patients.

Nov 9th, 2008

Dr. Brookenthal is a great doctor.

|  Zero Bed Side Manners  |  show details
Nov 4th, 2008

This man is not interested in answering any of his patient's questions or concerns. He doesn't even bother to return calls. His time must be more important than everyone else's. Be prepared to wait over an hour, with a scheduled appointment. Doctors need to have empathy for their patients, and this guy has ZERO!