Dr. Kenneth Blake MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

June 30th, 2016
While I agree that Dr Blake's bedside manner leaves some room for improvement, he is an extremely competent and proactive doctor. I do not feel it is unreasonable that he expects you to come to your appointment knowing your symptoms and able to explain what you have already tried to do to fix the problem. I had 3 appointments with him for the same issue, and at each one he was willing to try a more rigorous approach to fix the problem and come to a solution. I would recommend Dr. Blake to anyone!

May 11th, 2016
OUCH !!!!
I was into Dr. Blake's office recently and had appreciated that they got me in semi quickly (it wasn't easy as I had to call several times) , but I liked the facility and was excited to get treatment, however after waiting to see Dr. Blake and explaining in great detail my pain and symptoms, to not only his nurse and assistant on the phone, but also the lady that scheduled my appointment was aware of my discomfort. After explain my symptoms to everyone and finally after seeing the nurse, Dr. Blake saw me & proceeded to tell me he was in a hurry for a flight, I proceeded to tell him how much pain I was in and had been in the last few weeks , my biggest concern was that my pain was alleviated in one way or another (or at the very least not exacerbated). So after giving me a few brief moments of his time he told me to drop my drawers and bend over which I did very hesitantly when he came back in the room I was still telling him how much discomfort I was in and that he please be very gentle , HE ASSURED ME that he's extremely accredited he was educated at Johns Hopkins or somewhere and that he knows what he's doing .. WELL less than 10 seconds after he put his cold lubricated finger up my welping bleeding behind (ripping me more) and leaving me extremely upset unable to finish the procedure leaving the office in more pain then I came in, and having to deal with the additional discomfort of have now bleeding .. He came across as extremely non competent with basic office procedures, he may be a good surgeon from the other reviews I don't know and I lost all trust in this doctor. he basically ran out to his flight and left me in pain. I would discourage anyone from seeing this doctor that expects diligent compassionate care, if you just need to be snipped here in there and you're not too worried then by all means let this guy work if you just need to be snipped here in there and you're not too worried then by all means let this guy work on you, otherwise find someone that has little bit of compassion and listens to their patients. After driving over an hour and leaving without a diagnosis, I feel like this guy might be a little long In the tooth .. Thanks for reading and taking my comment into consideration ..

April 9th, 2014
Thumbs way up!
I have been very impressed with the care Dr. Blake has extended to me throughout my illness. I was referred to Dr. Blake by my primary care physician with a case of diverticulitis, which was complicated by C-dif. At that time, we talked at length about what was going on. He explained his diagnosis and proposed strategy, and the decision points for the plan of treatment. The initial path was to treat with medicine, but if that did not improve my condition then he would consult with other resources to chart the best course of action. If the condition still did not improve then surgery would be probable, but not until I was in the best shape for it. Emergency surgery was an option, but we were trying to avoid it. He checked me weekly and when I did not improve he brought in additional expertise to assist with the infection. As the weeks crawled by I did not improve and edged closer to needing surgery. Each step of the way we had discussions about where we were and what should happen next. During these discussions I found Dr. Blake to be very transparent in what factors and risks that he was weighing, and we talked until my questions were answered. My condition eventually required a partial colectomy, which was textbook. I have recovered fully and am very pleased with the results. Dr. Blake's staff is excellent and were very professional and responsive in scheduling and surgical setup. I noticed that some earlier reviews on this site mention Dr. Blake's attitude as their primary complaint. Dr. Blake seems to be a guy who is constantly in motion and moves on quickly if there isn't a reason to slow down - and I can see where some might interpret this for impatience or rudeness. I found that he was more than willing to spend time if I asked a question or needed clarification on an issue. He was professional, friendly, and seemed to enjoy the opportunity to educate. For me it was a just about right. Thumbs up!

April 8th, 2014
He saved my life!
I have been under Dr. Blake's care for almost 8 years and have nothing but excellent things to say about him and his team. Although I have read a few bad experiences in this forum, I am shocked because I go there multiple times a year with multiple procedures and surgeries and never experienced issues. To the opposite, I have experienced Dr Blake as being kind-hearted and compassionate. He is an extremely involved doctor and surgeon who has followed my case closely. He is extremely knowledgeable and confident in his abilities. Most importantly, he is honest and I trust him. He saved my life when I was only 26 by performing an 8 1/2 hour surgery to not only prevent cancer but also brought my quality of life back. I was blessed to start my journey at Dr. Blake's office and consider him and his staff like family to me. I love those guys! I recommend him!

January 7th, 2014
Just the facts- No Pressure
I went in to have an abcess looked at and determine if I needed surgery- Dr. Blake presented my options and then told me there was no pressure to make a decision right away. During the following 4 weeks the abcess healed on its own and I don't need surgery to fix the problem. A lot of doctor's would have pushed me into an operation I didn't really need, this guy is conservative and smart.

November 25th, 2013
Professional & Personal
After another doctor misdiagnosed my condition, Dr. Blake stepped in and immediately developed a plan that would give me the best chance for a full recovery. He fully detailed the procedures I would need to undergo - and spent significant time with me to be sure I was well-prepared emotionally and physically for what lay ahead. If I had a question or concern he was available, as were his NP and his staff- all of whom are OUTSTANDING. I had an excellent outcome- but I attribute that to having had an excellent surgeon.

September 11th, 2013
Excellent Surgeon
Dr. Blake has given my wife tremendous care. My wife had an abcess and a fistula diagnosed a year ago. The repair process has taken 3 surgeries, all of which have been performed by Dr. Blake. He is thorough in his explanations of procedures and in managing the sometimes unrealistic expectations of my wife. He has been great both before and after all procedures and his staff are great as well. My wife looks to him with complete confidence to get her through this difficult process - and so do I. His compassion and sense of humor have really helped us both.

August 19th, 2013
In my opinion Dr. Blake should not be a Dr. He is rude, arragent, and doesn't take the time to listen. I had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting him while he was covering for my surgeon. He walked ino my room because the nurses had called him because they were concerned and treated me worse than I have ever been treated in my life. He told me he was "busy" and "what did I need".... When he left my room I told the nurses, charge nurse, as well as the director of patient relations that he was not to come in my room again. I was so hurt and angry that I nearly walked out of the hospital!!! Steer clear!!! I would hate to see anybody else be treated like I was!!!

March 1st, 2013
Thankful for Dr. Blake
Do not give weight to a single negative review about Dr. Blake. I'm glad we didn't. These people are either overly sensitive or want an incompetent doctor to hold their hand instead of CURE them! Dr. Blake saved my husband's life. When he was most sick Dr. Blake exercised compassion and common sense to hospitalize him, operate and save him. We are forever grateful. He is certainly a sharp, direct, blunt, and to the point kind of guy. Some might consider that rude. I consider it effective and what i want in a surgeon. We would never compromise skill for better bedside manner; though he has always been friendly, caring, and even humorous with us. Go into your appointment educated, willing to listen, and knowing that you are not in fact the surgeon; he is! The people who are complaining are probably the patients who went in "knowing it all", fighting his methods, and wanting a softie. That's not this guy. If you want someone to save your life and enjoy the benefits of having an excellent surgeon on your side--he is your man.

February 26th, 2013
Dr. Blake is exactly what you want a surgeon to be. He listens, he explains everything in great detail, and he does so in a way that is neither condescending nor overly technical. His caring attitude and bedside manner are excellent. I recently went through several surgeries with Dr. Blake and I could not imagine a better doctor. In addition to spending a lot of time with me, he also ensured my wife's questions were answered and he took the time to chat with my 2 kids while he was visiting me in the hospital. His office staff, nurse and assistant are wonderful. While no one wants to go through colorectal surgery, Dr. Blake is the surgeon to help get you out the other side of it.

February 8th, 2013
Arrogant or Competent
I am writing this because the reviews I read on this site almost led me to going to see a different surgeon- which would have been a mistake. Dr Blake spent a great deal of time with my husband and I during my consultation and pre-surgery. We did not find him to be arrogant or condescending as indicated in some of the other reviews. I did not hear from him or anyone in his office post-surgery, but I did not really expect to based on our discussions. If you want a competent and capable surgeon, I would recommend Dr. Blake. If you are looking for a therapist go elsewhere. You are trusting your life in someone's hands, I would rather have it be someone who believes they are magnificent and that exudes confidence than someone who simply hopes they can help me.

December 4th, 2012
The rudest Dr. I have ever met. Doesn't let you finish a sentance and I agree with another person who left a review: The difference between this Dr. and God is, God knows he is not a Dr.Fortunately, I have experienced very good Dr's and know the difference.