Colon & Rectal Surgeon

Colon & Rectal Clinic
1103 W University Ave
Lafayette, LA 70506
337-233-0219
Locations and availability (1)

3.0

|  Extremely Competent  |  show details
Sep 23rd, 2013

Prior to my operation (hemorrhoidectomy) I read Dr. Champagne's reviews on this and other sites. They seemed mixed. But I liked him very much. Yes, he is a tad blunt when it comes to bedside manner, but another way of looking at this is that he is very straightforward. As far as the actual operation, it could not have gone better and was no big deal. The recovery, of course, was the big deal, and it took about a week for me to "near normal." The good news, however, was that he told me I could eat anything I wanted after the operation -- pizza, whatever. I thought I'd have to eat jello or chicken brother for a week, but nope! He saw me three times as follow-up to the operation and all went well. So overlook the fact that he's a little terse, because I found him to be very skilled, and he did indeed solve my medical problem.

|  Zero listening skills. Horrible bed-side manner. Lacking in kindness or empathy of any kind.  |  show details
Mar 19th, 2012

I came to 2 appointments, both with what I wanted to share with the Dr. and a couple of questions written down so I wouldn't forget. *Neither* time was I able to do so. And one time I asked him if I could share what I wanted to before he examined me, and at the start of the 2nd sentence, he put his hand INSIDE me (just after I asked him to wait) and proceeded to start talking. I was never able to read (again) what I brought to share.Horrible bed-side manner. No regard for the patient's intellect or wisdom about their own body and experience or previous Dr's findings. Zero listening skills. Lacking in kindness or empathy of any kind. Find another Dr. It was a waste of hundreds of dollars I spent, and there are *plenty* of Dr's in the world who will listen to you and work as a TEAM to determine what is going on and what is best for your care.Also, just to add, I came back to see him early because my situation had worsened drastically, my problem started bleeding again and spent the weekend causing me some of the most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my life. He looked at me for 30 sec. and said *he* thinks it's getting *better* with what he suggested. Did you not just hear why I came here Dr.? My symptoms, pain and problem has gotten worse? I also left sobbing. He never once called to follow up, cared in the least that I was in such distress or considered my opinion or thoughts of the least regard. Horrible, horrible experience.

Mar 15th, 2012

I have been to Dr. Champagne for two colonoscopies and removal of polyps. Dr. Champagne takes the time to listen and has a good bedside manner. When I called for my biopsy results, Dr. Champagne spoke with me personally (even though results were negative) and answered my questions. I would recommend him highly.

|  DON"T GO HERE. DRIVE TO BATON ROUGE IF YOU HAVE TO.  |  show details
Dec 20th, 2011

Kenneth Champagne was my co-surgeon for a complex operation. He missed a bleeder (has to be what happened) and I was left with a hematoma that drained for months and didn't heal. Better yet, he has two personality speeds, donkey and dismissive, abrupt donkey. Needless to say, I didn't like him and wouldn't recommend him to do colorectal surgery on my dog. I think better of my dog.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Oct 10th, 2011

I feel that Dr. Champagne is an excellent doctor. I have seen him for two colonoscopies and the removal of polyps. He has a pleasant bedside manner, is caring, attentive and patiently listens to what you have to say. He met with me in recovery and later, when I called for my biopsy results, he spoke with me personally, answering all of my questions.

by Melissa on Jul 12th, 2010

Dr. Champagne is a wonderful surgeon with great knowledge. His bedside manners are quiet, yet thoughtful and concerned. He cares about me, and tends to everything I point out. He talks to me like a person, not a patient. He also answers all my questions and recognizes my little notebook and with a smile asks if I have more questions for him.

Nov 13th, 2009

he was direct and to the point, very professional. Seemed somewhat distant though. Almost irratated. I went to him for a colon screening because of my age and health issues. On the day of the colonoscopy at the hospital he spoke to me before the procedure maybe one minute if that. When I awoke the nurse said "you are all clear and can leave now". I never heard from him or his office again. I still wonder if and when I should have another one if at all. I'll look for another Dr. for my next one.