Dr. Kenneth Gruenberg MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.4

February 24th, 2015
Do not take you child to this quack!
I wish I could give him zero stars instead of one. He manipulated and worsoned our childs problems for years, until our son begged to no longer see him. Our son improved vastly with another therapists care. Dr. Gruenberg is only in it for the cash. He doesn't like to communicate with parents, and only when threatened by an attorney, will render a diagnosis. His treatment plan is never ending, unless your cash or insurance runs out. Bottem line is: Seek help anywhere else.

October 10th, 2014
Shocked by what I'm reading on here...
Someone who is not willing to write their name here obviously has a personal vendetta against Dr. Gruenberg, and has probably made multiple usernames to just to smear Dr. G. Perhaps it's a rival psychiatrist writing this garbage? I don't know, but PLEASE do not believe a word of it. I saw Dr. Gruenberg from ages 6-12, and he helped me to become a young adult who can express and understand his thoughts and emotions. When my single-parent mother lost her job when I was 10, Dr. Gruenberg accommodated her situation so that I could continue to have appointments with him. Sometimes he and I would draw together and he would analyze my drawings and tell me what they revealed about my subconscious thinking. I remember how much that amazed me. He was like a benevolent father figure to me. He's an insightful, generous and caring man. Do not read these reviews that depict him as a money-obsessed devil, or a satanic prescription drug-pusher that ruins lives. He NEVER prescribed me anything in the 6-years that I knew him. Any anger-filled 1-star reviews about a renowned child psychologist should raise red flags in your mind. It's so off the charts and extreme that it has no credibility. Thanks Dr. G, I hope you're doing well!

April 13th, 2014
Do not ever see this man.
Psychiatry is one thing, but this man should never be allowed to practice any sort of therapy. He took full advantage of my insurance policy, and has required me to see him once a week for the past 7 months for therapy. He kept me on medicine that was prescribed to me by a man who only met me once, and will not continue to prescribe if I do not see him. I had to seek outside help and pay out of pocket to get any help, and he is now threatening to have me involuntarily committed to a mental health institution. He has called me crazy and a liar multiple times. I will be filing formal complaints and have already contacted multiple lawyers about this man. There is more evil in his eyes than I can stand to look at.

January 5th, 2011
Perfectly fine
I have taken my 11 yr old son to Dr. G for several months. We have seen definite improvement in my son's ability to handle stress. Dr. G's appraisal of my son's issues is consistent with my observations and also those of my wife. Psychiatry and therapy is as much art as science; finding the right fit for your/your child's needs is key. I highly recommend Dr. G.

January 5th, 2010
He has screwed up my son beyond belief. Dr Gruenberg is arrogant, and believes that he can save the world himself.He is no role model for any child. He is a liar, and a money grubbing little weasel.

July 29th, 2009
I wouldn't recommend Kenneth Gruenberg MD if he were the only psychiatrist in New England!
I have a seven year old Autistic son-of-a-cousin who lives up in Saguenay, Quebec, over 100 miles north of Quebec City. Services up in Quebec, even in Montreal, for Autistic chidren are paltry, so I told the cousin I would try to get a French-speaking Psychiatrist in Boston to see while the family came down to visit.I asked a friend of mine at Children's Hospital about French-speaking Psychiatrists in the Boston area. I explained the situation and she told me that Dr Gruenberg is "the best in the business!"I called Dr Gruenberg to explain the situation and to make an appointment. He was surly on the phone (that should have set off a flag right there); when I asked Dr Gruenberg if he spoke French, he practically yelled "of course I do. I'm not stupid. I'm a medical doctor. I've been to France many times!" After explaining that this child was visiting from Canada, he said "I don't deal with that lousy socialist insurance they have up there. For this patient, cash only, on the spot!" There was no "bedside manner," or indeed any good manner, to this conversation at all.We decided on an appointment time and my cousin and her son came to my house a couple of days beforehand. I live in Lexington and his office is in Newton Centre. In spite of knowing all the back roads, I still ended up about five minutes late. (9:05am for a 9:00 appointment)I, being the only Fluent English speaker of the three, apologized for the tardiness. "Lexington isn't on the moon, you know, you could have left a little earlier!" Aghast, but keeping my composure, I again apologized. "Well, those "Canadians" aren't going to "gyp" me out of five minutes pay; I'm still going to charge for the whole hour!" (A "50-minute" psychiatric hour)The mother, who is somewhat fluent in English, was puzzled but agreed to let her son see Dr Gruenberg. I waited in the lobby. About 20 minutes later, both mother and son came out of the office, sobbing. Even though there is a "noisemaker" outside of Dr Gruenberg's office, I could hear quite a bit of yelling on Dr Gruenberg's part, mostly in English.Dr Gruenberg, aka real-life Frankenstein, stormed out and practically screamed "you people aren't going ANYWHERE until I get my $200, in CASH, American Dollars!" I had $200 in US Cash and asked him for a receipt. When I gave him the cash and he counted it, he muttered something like "oh, Jesus" and then said "you gotta wait a minute for your receipt."Dr Gruenberg came out with the receipt, practically smacked it into my hand, and turned around and slammed the door to his office.On the drive back to Lexington, my cousin (the patient's mother) said Dr Gruenberg was "the rudest person I've ever met." I tried to console the son by stopping at a bakery.When I told my friend at Children's what had happened, she said he (Dr Gruenberg) can be "sometimes tempermental." When I retorted that they drove 600 miles, from another country, from another culture, to see this "specialist," the friend was apologetic and said the best she could suggest is contact the state medical ethics board and to post on the internet, so this is what I'm doing right now.