Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.0

• Currently 2.2758620689655 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Elderly patient  |  show details
Feb 25th, 2014

Dr. Kaan 1. Has no compassion 2. Is arrogent 3. Is rude 4. in a rush 5. horrible to elderly patients I have never in my 80 years ever experienced such a ? doctor Medical Board needs to followup on all complaints. They need to review and dismiss. I will notify both my personal physician, medicare and HMSA. I cannot express how horrible my expirence was. To future patients please do not subject yourselves to the treeatment. I truly am sorry for previous paitients and hope they received better treatment. Please Medical Board review and act asap.

|  Visit by 88 year old patient  |  show details
Feb 25th, 2014

My mother is 88 years old and has a problem in her lower back causing a lot of pain. She was referred to Dr. Kaan by her Primary care physician Dr. Flora on Kauai (Aloha Medical Group) and her appointment was today, 2/25/2014. Dr. Kaan was rude, abrupt, pushy, and absolutely inappropriate in his care of my mother! He took her blood pressure and was rough with my mother! He roughly ordered my mother to "stand up and show me the pain" without even looking at her. It was so shocking behavior on the doctor's part to see how he has treated an elderly person, my MOTHER! He not should not be permitted to practice medicine!!!!

|  M.D., professor of medicine and pediatrics Univ of California  |  show details
Jan 14th, 2014

Dr. Kaan was 45 min late for apt, rushed in saying this was his last appointment, kept looking at his watch, did not answer questions, when asked about pain meds, said talk to your primary care, had the worst bedside manner I have seen in all physicians (including surgeons) in 40 years, dictated his visit with many errors in front of patient, and rushed out the door. May (or may not be a good surgeon technically), but his knowledge and abiity convey confidence in his ability and his patient interaction skills are a minus 3.

|  Dr kaan  |  show details
by Ron carpenter on Sep 23rd, 2013

My experience was outstanding, dr Kaan is truly number one as far as I'm concern, I had a lower back fusion, a year ago and I haven't felt better. I have no regrets. Thanks to Dr Kaan I have no more pain going down my leg.

|  DANGER!!!!!!!!!  |  show details
Aug 1st, 2013

this sept. 30 marks 20 years that this so-called dr.left my operating room before completion and left a intern to stich me up.he clipped my iliac vein causing continous pain starting at the back to my left glut to back of left thigh to the calf to the inside of the left ankle and on to the bottom of the foot.Again ,be careful,he is on the board of directors and his wife is a lawyer.this review will conviently be erased so please!-do your homework and only as a last effort even consider back surgery.going to UCSF spine center for my 4th back surgery.DANGER!!!!!!

|  Mr. Rush  |  show details
Dec 1st, 2012

Appointment was at 10:50a.m. and did not get in until around 12:15p.m.He had a personal phone call and seemed like he needed to get out of his office asap. He spoke very fast and seemed unorganized. He did recommend surgery and bluntly said massage will not help. You really need to ask him to explain, if not, he'll just record his report and rush you out of the office and already greeting the next patient before asking if we had anymore questions. This man is not quite professional in his bedside manner.I don't feel comfortable in seeing him again and I'm sure he could care less.

|  Mrs. J.G  |  show details
Nov 14th, 2012

VERY RUDE! SARCASTIC! RUSHED FELT LIKE HE CARED ABOUT INSURANCE REIMBURSEMENT OR DOING SURGERY ONLY IF NOT HE WAS NOT INTERESTED IN SPENDING TIME WITH PATIENT NOT PATIENT ORIENTED! TOLERATED THREE VISITS AND DECIDED TO GO ELSEWHERE-INTERESTING ALWAYS SHORT STAFFED OR SOMEONE QUIT-TALKED TO THREE DIFFERENT STAFF MEMBERS -WHEN CALLING FOR MEDICAL RECORDS THE YOUNG LADY I TALKED WITH QUIT SO HAD TO RE-INTERATE THE WHOLE REQUEST FOR RELEASE OF MEDICAL RECORDS FOR THE LAST THREE VISITS. BE VERY VERY CAREUL WITH THIS ONE!

|  Best Back surgeon in the state  |  show details
Oct 31st, 2012

Dr. Kaan is a no nonsense surgeon. If you want someone who talks a lot and is warm and fuzzy, he may not be the one for you, but I will tell you you will not find a better back surgeon than Dr. Kaan. I had 2 huge back surgeries 4 days apart and have rods and screws in my back. He was very attentive to my recovery and made sure I was comfortable. I was impressed with his professionalism and candor. Talk frankly to him and he will talk frankly to you. He never talked down to me. There were doctors in town whom I did not feel comfortable with fixing my scoliosis, which was severe. I had NO doubts when I met Dr. Kaan that he would do what needed to straighten my back and stop the pain..and I was not disappointed. Back surgery is very very tricky. If you dont get it right the first time, you are in trouble. Kaan got it right, he got it perfect...and I was under the knife each time for several hours. I cannot recommend him highly enough.

|  Lack of thoroughness - completely void of professionalism  |  show details
Aug 20th, 2012

He did an IME (Independent Medical Exam) scheduled by an insurance company, and only spent 9 minutes with me. 5 of which he dictated his report into a voice recorder - most IMEs take hours to complete!! Ridiculous!

|  show details
Jul 10th, 2012

Dr. Kaan was more interested in making his plane flight back to Honolulu. I was unable to discuss anything because he was in such a hurry to finish with me. And, quite frankly, I don't think he really cared, anyway.

|  not the doctor to see unless you want surgery  |  show details
Jul 9th, 2012

waited over a hour to see, then felt rushed out when finally got to talk to him. seemed close minded to alternative health care. just all for waiting till condition is bad enough for surgery. in the meantime you just suffer in pain.

|  Great surgeon!!!!!!!  |  show details
May 29th, 2012

I was one of those people who thought that I could tough out any pain I was feeling; assuming I was just sore. I was finally convinced to get it checked out when the pain in my legs was almost unbearable. Dr. Kaan ordered a scan after reviewing my symptoms and explained why he was doing so which was something that I appreciated. His staff gladly scheduled me in at a convenient time and within a week I was diagnosed and a candidate for surgery. I do not regret my decision, AT ALL. From the time I arrived home I knew I was going to feel better and I did. After surgery I had a few follow ups with Dr. Kaan and my pain was completely resolved. At my last visit I told his staff I hope I never have to come back for the same pain I felt prior to surgery, and I haven't!

|  great surgeon  |  show details
Apr 5th, 2012

Kenneth Kaan MD. performed several surgeries on my wife's spine, resulting from a hit & run rear-end collision driven by a 15 year old unlicensed driver. I'm convinced if he didn't perform surgery, my wife wouldn't be walking today.

|  Dr. Kaan works magic  |  show details
Mar 29th, 2012

I suffered from a severe disc protrusion on my L5-S1 spine which caused me to have extreme down the right side of my leg. I went to see Dr. Kaan and within 3 weeks was diagnosed and underwent a 7 hour operation. I stayed in the hospital for 5 nights and without fail Dr. Kaan was there at about 5:30 am each morning to check on my status. He really cares about his patients and his staff if friendly and accessible. It has been only 30 days since my operation and I no longer have the debilitating pain down my right leg like I had for almost 6 months. I'm still a little sore from the operation but each day I grow stronger. I would highly recommend Dr. Kaan to anyone who wants to feel better and who wants a skilled surgeon. The spine is not a part of your body that you want to take a chance with. As a side note, I had a butterfly in my lower back area where the operation was to take place. When I was strong enough to see the stitches, I noticed that he cut my back right in the spine of the buttery, thus hiding the stitch marks. I was so impressed because he took the time to think about the scar and did an excellent job working it into my tattoo. To me, this was going the extra mile and I am grateful for his skillful hands and the relief that he provided me. Aloha and thank you letting me share my story

|  Fantastic doctor.  |  show details
Feb 9th, 2012

It was a number of years ago but my experince was so great that when a friend of mine today asked if I could recommend a doctor for her back I recommended Doctor Kaan without hesitation. I looked him up and was saddened to see that his ratings were not higher and felt guilty that I never rated just how good I thougt he was. Very up front and told me what the best results and what the worst results could be so that I could make an educated decision on wheter or not to proceed with the surgery. I never regreted my decision. One great doctor.

|  Great surgeon  |  show details
May 27th, 2011

To all of the people who reviewed badly, please note that Dr. Kaan is a surgeon, and a very good one too. Before, I was dehabliitated but now I can walk and run with no pain. I look taller and with good posture, I even feel younger because of the great work he's done. Thanks!

|  show details
Feb 24th, 2010

Good doctor. long wait times.

|  UNPROFESSIONAL!!!  |  show details
Mar 12th, 2009

I was referred to Dr. Kaan by my physician. Dr. Kaan was very rude. He would not let me explain my condition and the reason for my visit. I asked him he would be able to recommend any type of treatment. His answer without any explanation, "NO". I was truly disappointed in Dr. Kenneth Kaan professional and lack of bedside manner!

|  Stay Away!  |  show details
Aug 24th, 2008

My experience with this Doctor has proven disasterous. He surely does not have the best interest of the patient in mind and shows that he only cares about receiving his paychecks.