Dr. Kenneth Light MD Patient Reviews

• Sports Medicine San Francisco, CA

3.6

March 21st, 2016
ONE GREAT SURGEON He performed major back surgeries on me.

December 31st, 2015
Prior medical field.
I would not recommend him to anyone. He might be smart but he dose not care about you, all he cares about is how he is going to get paid. Very bad bedside Manner. Every one I had seen in his office waiting to see him post opp where in horable pain. Every time I go there and I travel to get to him, he just is awful. He is a smart ......?.......

December 31st, 2014
the very best there is! He IS my doctor and is great!!!

January 16th, 2014
Back sx pt
I had back sx in 2010. I've been refused govt benifits for a work ending injury, since the injury in nursing school in 1993, so I have medical knowledge. My problem with dr light is pt abandonment and a refusal to correct medical malpractice, and stand up against govt. and workers comp fraud in my case. In terms of my back sx dr light refused and still is refusing to give me pain med and muscle relaxers, after I was cut off all pain meds to zero at kaiser forcing me to leave. It is shocking to think that after back sx there would be a problem getting pain meds and follow up care post sx for incomplete back sx. There is no logical explanation as to the above in my case. I can only say it is happening and expose it as much as possible. I would caution anyone going into back sx that if the above happened to me, it can happen again. I would also say unfortunately, that the rules aren't being followed in this state and one person is no match to fight the above kind of malfeisense with government agencies involved. If you have sx with dr light, get a signed document, that forces him to provide pain meds. I would not go to him at all on a comp basis. To be safe, if you don't have a secondary md who will give pain control, I would not go to dr light. I've been filing med board complaints since may 2012, with no intervention on the physically damaging medical malpractice I'm a victim of. I would also caution against kaiser. The med board did nothing to correct the md who refused and cut off all pain control meds after back sx. Dr light refused to correct dr Brian hertz at kaiser, and refused to refer me to his pain control md in his office. Does this sound like usual tx for a back sx pt. I filed a med board complaint against dr light for the above. So far, they have done nothing about him as well as dr Brian hertz at kaiser. I beleive I'm owed a large medical malpractice award from kaiser, including dr Light unfortunately. This is sickening.

December 30th, 2013
Answering Service
The answering service needs improvement, The office never answers, the answering service sounds garbled when speaking and I couldn't understand anything they said. This was multiple calls made in a two hour period.

July 13th, 2013
No follow up or correction of kaiser mistakes
I had back sx with dr light. I've had difficulty with follow up and dr light refuses to intervene and correct kaisers mistakes. Kaiser says I'm allergic to methadone but won't correct the problem. I was cut off all pain control by kaiser and am forced at this point to take methadone against my will for pain. I think dr light is a good sx. I had a good first sx but it didn't fix the whole problem. It is not usual to have difficulty with follow up and reevaluation if necessary. I'm at a loss to explain my experience. I currently have an apt with another sx to reevaluate and fix my pain medications that no one will fix despite a methadone allergy. I'm appalled at my experience at kaiser. If your profile isnt economical for them they will try and drop your coverage by refusing to treat you properly forcing you to leave. That's what happened to me. Kaiser refused to correct a medical mistake by dr Brian hertz sanrafael Evan after I filed a complaint with the state med board. They did nothing to fix problem and I still am having problems today. Dr light refused also to correct dr hertz mistake that has led to my being given a med that I'm allergic to. This could happen to you if it could happen to me. If your interested in details request to see state med board complaints against dr brian hertz ( kaiser sanrafael). Since being forced to leave kaiser I've filed a complaint with the med board against dr Brian hertz, dr Peter stein ( greenbrae), dr Edward Alfred ( greenbrae). I recently saw dr Keyvan pourmehr sanrafael kaiser who refused to treat my unresolved back sx or my methadone allergy. He said he did not prescribe narcotics. I previously was a lifetime kaiser member. They will try to get rid of you and not correct mistakes to try and save money. Unfortunately there is no agency guarding the chicken coop so to speak. I've found no complaint dept. or legal recourse for the malfeasance I've experienced. If dr light doesn't like your sx outcome and refuses follow up care or any appropriate care after a back sx I recommend yelping on sites like these. Anyone else have any ideas for medical malfeasance? I'm sure tapped out and disgusted. I'm currently trying to find an attorney. The most promising law firm I've found is Kline Spector for the kaiser mistakes I'm still experiencing.

April 17th, 2013
Incomplete back sx pt
I had back sx by dr. Light that was incomplete. He operated on L5/S1 but my injury goes up to L2/L3 with disc blow-outs on the left side of my back with sciatica. I also now am very overweight ( I have to limit activity because of uncontrollrd pain). I never would have phathomed these kinds of problems going into back sx. Everyone expects to work as a team with a md, to be given medical choices to make, and have a tx plan recommended to them. Ultimately, after being given recommended tx plans and options it should be the pt choice on how to proceed. I was not treated by dr. Light with the above mentioned pt expectations. After my first sx ( which was incomplete) dr. Light abandoned my case. I was cut off all pain meds ( I've been on them since 1993, and went into back sx on very high doses) and not given the opportunity to decide on more back sx to complete the fix. No other md in addition will correct this treatment I'm not getting. I also filed a complaint with the state med board. Nothing has worked, I'm in horrible constant- unmedicated pain. I've never heard of anyone being treated like this. I've been blacklisted, and also can't get primary care ( I'm going to an ER for primary care). I'm writing this to expose this kind of tx to the public, in the hope it will force the mds involved in my care to act properly with some public shaming and exposure. Nothing I've done so far has worked. Caveat emptor

April 14th, 2013
I don't get dr. Lights refusal to provide pain control. In some pt with severe pain and sciatica it is the only option. I guess he prefers liver damage. This is what happened to me. Dr light would not countermand another mds order to cut pain control. Is there an upside to liver damage I don't know about. Most of the time there is only liver replacement. Any md who is a part of this debauchery should be severely punished, unless like I said, there is an upside to liver damage I don't know about. Is dr. Light on an ego trip about his back sx's. Is that why I couldnt get pain meds?

March 6th, 2013
Fusion sx patient cut off all pain meds with no follow up
No back sx pt would dream of their sx abandoning them as a pt, withholding information about the procedure they have had, and suddenly cut them off all pain control meds in the presence of pain. That's what happened to me after titanium cage back sx with dr. Light that didn't fix the injury I had. The md should give an explanation for such an outcome, not cover it up and refuse treatment. Also, no other sx will take my case. Caution, could this happen to you? I'm having to take donated pain meds. Also, on TV there is info about a possible problematic fusion material used in fusion bone grafts with titanium cages. Do you have one? Dr. Light refuses to answer my calls inquiring if I had the material. The commercial on TV currently for "infusion"is 1-800-bad-drug, and also can be found on the net if you put in "infusion" back fusion material. Good luck with dr. Light. If he doesn't like your outcome, you may find yourself in horrible pain that no other md will treat. One symptom of the infusium is swallowing problems. I coincidently, ended up having horrible dental complications after back sx that could potentially cause swallowing problems. Anybody have a sx they can recommend? I have no one who will cover for dr. Light.

January 26th, 2013
Cant get pain med from dr. Light, forced to self medicate
After having back sx with dr. Light, after being in constant pain since 1993, he will not give me pain medication for pain control and I am forced to self medicate. I've been on OxyContin and others since 2004 for severe pain and still am in constant pain. Everyone has a right to pain control and to be left in torture is unacceptable. Take heed of my story if your considering sx with dr. Light. He may declare you pain free despite your reality and you won't be able to get pain meds from any md. That's what happened to me. I'd get a pre-nup with dr. Light prior to sx re: pain control. Beware!!!!!

October 31st, 2012
Back surgery pt., left in the lurch
Dr. Light may be an excellent surgeon, I have no doubt that he is after he operated on me on one level L5/S1. But the problem I have with dr. Light, is my back isn't fixed yet( my injury goes beyond L5/S1) and dr. Light has left the building so to speak. He has refused to give me pain medication(he says it is up to a claims adjuster). He must think I've fallen off a turnip truck. He also has ignored a battery of blood work I got indicating serious problems that need immediate attention( a low RBC count). Maybe that is a claims adjuster problem too... So, despite being an excellent surgeon dr. Light has communication and follow through problems. I didn't choose back surgery to be half done, with difficulty getting pain med and no case follow through. And, if there is a battery of abnormal blood work, dr. Light has a duty to respond and act if no other md will. What's the deal dr. Light.......

June 27th, 2012
Brilliant Surgeon
I had back surgery and could not have wished for a better outcome. Dr Light and his office staff were truly amazing. It's changed by life. While Dr Light can come across as rather abrupt - that's a good trait - good surgeons need to make difficult decisions, be strong leaders and have high expectations of the medical team. His track record speaks for itself, it was my #1 reason for selecting him. I'm so thankful I did.