Dr. Kenneth Ott MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

May 12th, 2016
I was nervous about taking my grandpa to Dr. Ott because of certain reviews, but I was proven wrong. He is an exceptional and competent neurosurgeon. He had a confident answer for every question and communicated the best path for my grandpa to take. Dr. Ott has a direct, no nonsense approach and isn't that what you want in a doctor? Even though other reviews said he was uptight, I think I saw him smirk once or twice. I absolutely adore Dr. Ott.

September 19th, 2015
This guy should either retire or be taken away in chains.

June 28th, 2015
A fantastic neurosurgeon!
I found Dr. Ott to be an excellent physician. His assistant Karen was efficient and friendly and got me in to see him quickly. Dr. Ott was friendly, concerned, very knowledgeable about both my condition and the treatments for my condition, and I would recommend him highly. He was able, through his directness and knowledge, to leave me very confident about his ability to treat my meningioma the number of lot through his directness and knowledge, to leave me very confident about his ability to treat my meningiona.

November 24th, 2014
What a terrible doctor, surgeon, and person. I wouldn't let him operate on my dog!

May 7th, 2014
#1 NEUROSURGEON W/ GREAT HEART
DR. KENNETH OTT OPERATED ON ME IN 1978 @ AGE 2YRS OLD. I was diagnosed w/ hydrocephalus.... So he put a HYDRO VENTRICLE SHUNT....IN 1987 HE REPLACED MY SHUNT ...IT HAD TORN.... THAT WASNT HIS FAULT.... I PLAYED ALOT OF SPORTS WHEN I WAS LITTLE... SO IM SURE I TORE IT MONKEYING AROUND....BUT IM 37YRS OLD NOW... VERY HEALTHY.... AND I OWE MY LIFE TO DR.KENNETH OTT.... I STILL REMEMBER BEFORE & AFTER MY LAST SURGERY HIS WORDS TO MY MOM & ME..... "MRS. CUEVAS YOUR SON WILL BE OKAY" & TOLD MY MOM I REMINDED HIM OF HIS SON AROUND THE SAME AGE.... THAT MADE MY MOM CRY... I REMEMBER AND I WAS 10yrs old...DR. KENNETH OTT IS ONE OF THE FEW DOCTORS THAT DOESN'T DO IT FOR THE MONEY....AND HE IS THE "BEST" IN HIS PROFESSION.....NEXT TIME I'M IN SAN DIEGO...I'M TAKING DR. OTT FOR LUNCH....GOD BLESS DR. OTT & HIS FAMILY...

April 2nd, 2013
Unsatisfactory
First and foremost, this Dr. didn't stand up or shake my hand when I came into his office. I walked in to his open office after waiting a half of an hour and I noticed there was no information about my case in front of him. This was peculiar (see frustrating) because beforehand I had to fill out an eleven page patient form in order to even make an appointment. He didn't have any of my background info on hand. If I hadn't brought copies I don't think he even would know anything about my case. Secondly, this guy had an arrogant look on his face after telling my spouse what was going on. Yes, I said that correctly. The Dr. chose to speak to my male spouse instead of me and when I had a question or comment the Dr. would smirk at my significant other like I was "being a silly woman." Basically, he said the growth in my skull was just an abnormality, wasn't going to hurt me and wasn't cancerous. My migraines aren't migraines, they could be tension headaches but also it could just be chronic pain. When I asked what to do next he said he had no idea because often "Dr's just don't know what to do for every case." I have been in some serious pain; losing vision, becoming dizzy, falling over.... But all of that isn't something he cared about... He won't help me. Won't suggest treatments. Nothing. He was only able to tell me "what it was not." (His words) And in any case "he says"... It's an ENT Dr. whom would help me with my sinuses, something he says are perfectly fine even though he has no clue about my sinus infection background... because he didn't have the important paperwork I painstakingly filled out. It's not even that this person is blunt, I can take blunt. And neither was he "not comprising" on his expert opinion. He was just SO completely apathetic, arrogant and seemed truly against females that I'm irritated, frustrated, disappointed, angry. So very angry. It's like unless I have a golf-ball-sized malignant tumour inside my brain he could literally care less. And the fact that he only talked to or made eye contact with my spouse... I just wanted to reach over the desk and scream in his face until he felt even a 100th of the kind of head pain I have. If my vision blacks out, I see only white or silver light, fall over and almost vomit with pain... How is this not my brain? Or at least not something he could care about? Is he just a so cynical, a Negative-Nelly, or socially incapable? Does he like to hurt people? Is that why it appears under public google searches that he has 15 cases of malpractices? I just can't contemplate why he's still a practicing Neurosurgeon when he should just be a regular irritated old guy with an arrogant complex but just complains about his neighbor's cat, instead of being sour, behind a desk making patients feel belittled and hopeless. And what kind of Neurosurgeon bites his fingernails? Why is he so nervous? Does he need so desperately to become less of an demeaning person AND have anxiety issues as well? Of course this is just my opinion of this Dr. It's conjecture but it seems to be along the same lines as the other patients.... I wouldn't recommend him to anybody. Even as a first opinion which is what he was for me. I won't stop fighting for myself. He is just a small step in my journey. I've already proved wrong SO many specialists that it's just an understanding that 90% of specialists are just not competent. This neurosurgeon may be competent in a skill of surgery but he shouldn't be talking with any patient needing a neurosurgeon. And what's the most offensive thing is that he thinks it's okay to behave how he does.

November 5th, 2012
Shy
I was not very impresst with this doctor when I first met him. The rewiew 's were not very believable. As a matter of fact, they were downright scary. I checked on his professional standing and it said he was in the top one percent.I needed an operation now and if he was great at operating that was enough for me. As I got to know doctor Ott, he had a great sense of humor and seems like a great human being and as I went along I found he was just terrible shy. So how does it go: don' t judge a book by it' s cover!

January 17th, 2011
STAY AWAY FROM THIS DOCTOR!!!
Dr. Ott performed ER surgery on my brother for a brain injury. Didn't come talk to us prior to surgery (which was fine since he needed to get into OR right away.) But didn't come talk to us after surgery either. We got a call from the trauma doctor telling us everything went fine. When my sister-in-law finally did run into him at my brother's bedside (my mom happen to be there as well) he didn't give them a report about my brother's condition, instead he scolded her and my mom (brother's accident happened while he was drinking) saying that my brother is a burden on society and said that they should thank two doctors for saving his life then walked away. UNNECESSARY!! This while my brother was still unconscious. UNNECESSARY!! We took Dr. Ott off my brother's care. More than a week later, we were still finding out information about my brother's condition from the current neurosurgeon. STAY AWAY FROM THIS DOCTOR. He's too busy being judgmental and arrogant to be a good, caring, follow up and try to get you healthy doctor.

October 27th, 2010
He makes little small talk but performed DBS surgery on me. He was very fast and the surgery was outstanding. I'm sure neuro surgery produces many poor results but all of the nurses I talked with thought he was a genius. I would agree in my case.

June 9th, 2009
The BEST Neuro Surgeon in San Diego!
When I was just days away from invasive nuerosurgery, Dr. Ott was asked to review my case by a colleague and called me to tell me he could take care of the 3 cm tumor with Gamma Knife. Long story short, I had it, and was able to attend my son's football game 2 days later. The best part, I had about 50% shrinkage of the tumor with Gamma Knife. (They work even better on smaller tumors!) If you are facing a choice for yourself or a loved one and trying to decide between Gamma Knife and micro surgery, be sure and consult with Dr. Kenneth Ott at San Diego Gamma Knife Center! (www.sdgkc.com) He and his entire staff is AWESOME!