Psychiatrist, Pediatric / Adolescent Psychiatrist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Brilliant  |  show details
Aug 6th, 2014

He is very knowledgeable in his area of expertise. He takes the time to listen to the concerns each child and their parents and puts great effort into helping parents understand his thought process as well as their child's diagnosis including anticipated outcomes. He truly promotes a holistic approach to modification of concerning behavior and DOES NOT take the use of medication for behavior management lightly.

|  Stay away  |  show details
by John Doe on Apr 12th, 2014

Dr. Kunze wears long-sleeved Harley-Davidson shirts with flames on the sleeves. And all of the motorcycling must have gone to his ears. He isn't someone who listens so much as someone who waits for their turn to speak. This wouldn't be bad if he opened his mouth for purposes other than condescension, but I don't think it's possible for him. He errs so hard toward 'professional' he couldn't trip and fall into 'compassion' if he wanted. It seems this attitude carries over to the staff - the reception would be warmer in an igloo. Of the four visits to this office, twice I waited while the receptionist haggled with other clients over financing. In the waiting area. Did she apologize for the scene? Making me wait? No - I was chastised for not interrupting an argument - "If you have an appointment you need to let us know you're here. It's your responsibility to make the most of your time." And she's right, so I won't be back.

|  despondent  |  show details
by gale on Apr 12th, 2013

I have had nothing but troue with this office and staff. they dont answer the phones for questions or appointments and dr kunze oes nkt return phone calls in a timely manner. he is a pill pusher for sure and doesn't listen to patients or parents. his office staff is lazy not over worked ! diane palmer is no better only choosing to work with who she percieves as easy ! the only qualified staff member in the whole building is judy reinhardt. if u cant see her dont even bother going. you will have better luck having a good conversation with dr kunze on the bicycling than on your childs health and is more accessible on the bike trails lr roads od des moines than in his office. if I could give a -10 review for this practice I would

|  Caring & Compassionate child psychiatrist  |  show details
by Lila S. on Feb 5th, 2013

Dr. Kunze is skilled, unflappable, and concerned with his patients, and listens to the parents as well, all within the unfortunate construct of the 15 minute billable unit, which is beyond his control. In those 15 minutes, he is expected to diagnose, evaluate, prescibe, discuss, monitor, and review medications and other tx plans. He coordinates well with therapists when they are also involved, and is always pleasant adn positive, while clearly overloaded and overscheduled, as are all child psychiatrists in IA, given the extreme shortage of psychiatrists.

|  Rigid  |  show details
May 24th, 2012

Dr. Kunze is rude and complains if my son doesn't come into his office with me at the beginning of the visit. My son is 10 and I don't want him in there in the beginning while I'm discussing his behavior. Is it depression, anxiety, ADHD? He should respect parents concerns and feelings of discussing medication and behavior issues in front of the children. His communication with parents and children is poor.

|  Stay away he'll harm your kids  |  show details
May 1st, 2012

Dr. Kunze. Or should I just say quack Qunze. He is not only a fraud and pill pusher but he loves to create bi polar disorder in children so he can come back and say it has it and pump adult strength drugs into them. He also likes to make diagonsises over the phone. He nearly ruined my now teenage cousin by making him violent. Now away from the quack and off the medicine all the symptoms are gone and he is normal. He needs to be sued for malpractice as i know he has done this to other poor innocent children. Stay away from him. He'll hurt your kids and cause permanent problems

|  Go elsewhere  |  show details
Jun 21st, 2011

wow -- what an arrogant doctor-- he DOESN'T LISTEN to patient. Time to look elsewhere -

|  Not Recommended  |  show details
Mar 9th, 2011

It's all about the meds and being stuck on them forever. Psychiatrists don't seem to do any 'talk therapy' anymore? IMO, IF they are all that way now, I believe anyone seeing a psychiatrist should also see a psychologist or qualified counselor.

|  very knowlegable doctor  |  show details
Nov 27th, 2010

My only real complaint would be that he needs to spend more time with patients. It's true he mostly manages medications, but would he couple that with a few minutes visiting with patients, I'm certain he would learn more and his patients would feel listened to even more.

|  Spend your health care dollars elsewhere!  |  show details
by Bill on Mar 3rd, 2010

After waiting weeks to get a 15 minute consultation with Dr. Kunze, he finally met with us regarding recommendations for treating behavior issues with our ADD child. Although it was a 15 minute appointment, he only had 5 minutes for us. Without any care or questions about our child or our opinion, he began to spew the list of medications he'd like to start our child on immediately. We felt like he viewed our child as an experiment, not a patient. When we mentioned we were only looking for a consultation and would also get a second opinion, seeking advise from our long-standing family physician, he got angry and told us that his view should not be questioned.When we tried to schedule a second opinion with another psychiatrist in the office, the staff became unhelpful and rude.

|  show details
Jul 15th, 2009

Excellent doctor, but very overbooked. Extremely hard to get an appointment.