Surgical Specialist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.0

|  Be AWARE  |  show details
Oct 17th, 2011

I had Gastric Bypass on Jan. 29th 2004 next thing I remember is waking up & it being Valentines day Feb. 14th 2004 shocked to hear during the surgery their were major complications I had an absese & blood transfusion he had to open me up twice trying to seal the fistula leak (hole) in my stomach with no success not once but twice in the 2 wk period. My family told me they had a very difficult time wheening me off of the ventilator the nurses even moved me closer to their station so they wouldn't have to walk as far with all the bags of tpn lipids (Nutrition) antibiotics pain meds. Then they had a physical therapist come once a day to help me walk being my legs felt like weights it seriously was not easy & took everything out of me just to walk from my hospital rm & barely halfway down the hall. I had problems controlling my bowels & had a bedside toilet. Before my discharge they set me up for home healthcare so that I would have my nutrition tpn & lipids through iv with nurses coming out everyday for atleast an hour hooking up new bags to my iv pole & Pic line & eventually showing me how to do it so the hm healthcare delivery truck could just drop off the bags at my hm every few days & I would hook it up accordingly 23hrs a day. Point to all of this it was horrific I still had to go every week for gasteographs at the hospital drinking that nasty barium to see if the hole had sealed. MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH ON YOUR PHYSICIAN B4 THIS OR ANY SURGERY I WAS NOT THE ONLY 1 WHO'S LIFE THIS MAN RUINED! I went in weighing 360lbs being my family suffer from obesity my father & aunt had this same surgery in 1981 & 1982 their surgery went wonderfully almost 30 yrs ago but they had a wonderful surgeon he had passed away in 1993 but they had a great experience thankfully. I went in with high blood pressure & the notion I was bettering my health by losing weight to have more stamina to play with my kids well now I take double the bp meds periphrial neuropathy in my left leg which I take 3200mg of neurontin a day to walk straight I am a recovering addict of opiates from 8 yrs of different pain meds which I'm in treatment now having to take methadone everyday just to function properly. I now have been on life support twice since 04 in the hospital to many times to count & finally in Nov. 2009 had a revision with the amazing surgeon Dr. John Sweeney of Emory University Hospital he has fixed as much as he can & said well you definately have one of the most unique anatomy issues I've seen & you have a very complex case. I have had 4 doctors turn me away at different family doctors because of all my medical issues. My kids don't live with me any longer since 2007 being my 2nd home is the hospital which is no place for an 11 & 9 yr old. They have only known a sick Mommy I even missed my sons first steps when I had the surgery they were 2 & 4. I have lost everything been through 3 marriages from being miserable or settling for less from just giving up & not being in the right mind set.I live alone waiting for ssi at the age of 29 am no longer close to family & in fact today having a feeding tube placed in my stomach it being October 18th 2011. I'm at Emory & Dr. John Sweeney is placing the tube in for my longterm nutrition I now weigh 113lbs I'm 5'11 I can swallow anything barely take my meds or drink water sometimes italian ice but no protein no substance. I am miserable but in treatment for my addiction attend counseling twice a month & group meeting once a month with methadone treatment & my regular meds this cost $400 a month for treatment,over $800 for my regular meds $520 a month for a studio apt I rent by myself I don't enjoy doing anything I used to I don't have friends or family that live around me or that I talk to other than my lovely daughter.Its depressing & NO way to live. Hopefully some1 will take the time to read this message as its only to make you all more aware & possibly save someones life being this man has ruined so many & taken other womens lives as well. Thankyou all..