Kerry M Shafran MD Patient Reviews

January 15th, 2015
Bad Patient Interaction - RUDE
Dr. Shafran was very rude in our appt. We had been seeing his PA who left and this was our first appt with him. We had never had to wait before but wasn't called back until 25 after our appt. Then we had to wait another 20 in a waiting room. When there, he disagreed with his former PA's choice of meds and told me 3 times that if we didn't want to make the med change (the meds were working great) we could leave and go to where the PA moved to or back to our pediatrician. He was condescending, patronizing and very aloof. I even asked him if we wanted us to leave and go elsewhere. It was very uncomfortable and unsettling. I do not plan to take my teen back there and would NOT recommend this doctor to anyone.
Doctor's Response

We appreciate all of our reviews, including this one. This reviewer is responding to my refusal to continue a medication that had been used for her minor child's acne. The medication prescribed had been effective and was not causing adverse effects. It was however, a medication that does not have as proven a track record of safety with long-term use as all the other medications used in our clinic to treat acne. In addition, we always make an effort to wean our patients from long-term use of oral antibiotics where possible. All national skin care experts also recommend this policy. It was for these reasons that I did not wish to refill the requested medicine, but rather recommended a choice with a better safety profile. I made it clear that the patient's health was my number one concern, and that was why I was not providing the requested medicine. The option of seeking other opinions including that of my former staff member rather than following my recommended change was offered, and the parent chose to continue the visit. We take pride in making every effort to provide not only the best therapy for all of our patients, tailored to their specific needs, but also the safest. And we are happy to recommend other health care experts in our community when in the patient's best interest.

October 12th, 2010
Excellent Doctor!!!
Normally I do not waste time and write reviews however I had to let everyone know what an excellent doctor Kerry Shafran is at University Dermatology. I needed to have a full body scan done today for skin cancer and I have to tell you, he does a complete exam. (Does not miss anything)I have seen several Dermatologist over the last few years and they do not hold a candle to this guy. If you are looking for a relaxing atmosphere and a professional staff, look no further! This is the place.