Dr. Kevin Bernstein MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.3

August 7th, 2016
Does not call family members and diagnosis totally incorrect! Brought a 88 year old hispanic woman in with dementia that speaks no english and he put ger on a lockdown psych ward. Was notified she has dementia and had not slept for 2 days and was screaming for things, this is normal for dementia patients that have not slept! She was brought in to hospital just for sleeping pills!! Now we have to go thru court system to get her back home. Not only does he not call you back but is very rude when you do see him and has you thrown out of hospital cause visiting hours are over and this is the only time he is around to talk to! Very unprofessional and no bedside manners! Very poor in communication, would not recommend to anyone for any reason!

June 19th, 2015
Very easy to talk to and he had diagnosed me very quickly.

May 13th, 2015
non responsive at times; considered erratic by social worker at hospital

March 3rd, 2015
Dr. Bernstein refuses to communicate with family members. My mother was in the hospital for 2 months under his care & was misdiagnosed and terribly over medicated. None of my concerns were answered because the Dr. never returned calls. She left the hospital much, much worse off after being treated by Dr. Bernstein. The Doctor at the new facility she entered after being released from Dr. Bernstein's care was able to stabilize her within 2 weeks changing her medications. Even the nurses were appalled by the high doses of medication she was on, and an unnecessary medication that caused horrible, unacceptable side effects. It was a terrible experience dealing with Dr. Bernstein and I'm so sorry for what it put my mother & my family through. I'm so regretful that I entrusted my mother to Dr. Bernstein & I hope no one else has to go through what we went through.

February 2nd, 2014
Awful
It took me years to seek help for my depression, and my first ever visit with a psychiatrist was with Dr. Bernstein. The experience really put me off. Between dismissive and outright rude comments while I was detailing certain facts about two suicide attempts I'd made in the past ("Well, everyone has stress sources. My stress source is my ex-wife." in response to hearing about my living for 13 with an emotionally and physically abusive father) to absolutely misogynistic remarks tossed in here and there (Me: "I've been reluctant to seek help because I worry about SSRIs." Bernstein: "Well that's because you're a woman.") I was gobsmacked that this guy is allowed to practice at all. Very charming and glib, but beyond that he lacks absolutely any substance that makes him a competent and trustworthy professional. Right in front of me, he went "Oh shut up" and switched off his phone when a patient was calling, only to thereafter reassure me he would be on call whenever I needed him. Not surprisingly, I could not get in touch with him more than once after the visit. On top of that, the medication he's prescribed me (Cymbalta) has had awful and paradoxical effects; my depression has taken a turn for the worst since using it, and I've suffered weight problems, skin problems, insomnia, fatigue, and an inability to concentrate on top of that. I've known some narcissists in my life, and this guy really reminds me of them. Patients please stay away.

April 16th, 2013
Poor/Inept Care at North Vista Hospital
My husband was a patient at North Vista hospital...Dr. Bernstein is totally inept. He made several promises that he did not keep; he said he wanted my husband's family involved in his care and when my son called him, the doc said he couldn't talk because he was going into a meeting and never returned his call. Last night I attempted to call Dr. Bernstein at 3 separate times and he never returned my call.

November 20th, 2011
Pill Pusher - not a solver of mental health problems.
Very charismatic but that is the extent of his professionalism. Great telling the patient how he intends to get them feeling better but doesn't follow through and doesn't answer his telephone calls. He abandons the patients he can't deal with.....very unhappy with his services.

July 24th, 2011
Good person
Has a wealth of knowledge