Orthopaedic Surgeon

2020 San Monica Blvd
Suite 400
Santa Monica, CA 90404
310-829-2663
Locations and availability (3)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
May 19th, 2014

The office is very poorly run…no communication between Patricia, his scheduling nurse and Dr. Ehrhart. I was never informed of the "facility fee" when I scheduled an appointment. I still don't really understand what a facility fee is but I do know you are charged it every time you walk in and it is $250.00! I felt like I was paying part of their rent. And since Dr. Ehrhart does not make or receive phone calls, the only way to see him is by making an appt. The wait is ridiculous…my average time in the office is over 2 hours. He does not listen to what you have to say and is more interested in hearing himself talk. Eight months after my knee surgery, it is still swollen and painful. I need my other knee done and will not be having him do the surgery. There are too many other outstanding surgeons in the area to have to put up with this.

|  DR. KEVIN EHRHART (DR. HIP)  |  show details
Nov 3rd, 2012

I FIRST MET DR. HIP (AS I LIKE TO CALL HIM)AFTER A DISHEARTENING VISIT TO SCOI (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ORTHOPEDIC INSTITUTE).I WAS TOLD THERE THAT I SHOULD COME BACK WHEN I WAS "NO LONGER ABLE TO WALK FROM THE BEDROOM TO THE KITCHEN." WHAT A DIAGNOSIS!!!AFTER LIMPING MY WAY THRU LIFE (AND A TRIP TO PARIS) I ASKED MY GP FOR A DIFFERENT REFERRAL. ONLY THEN DID I GET TO MEET THE MAN THAT CHANGED MY LIFE. I WILL NEVER FORGET DR. HIP WATCHING ME WALK AND SAYING "YOU CALL THAT WALKING?"I HAD MY FIRST TOTAL RIGHT HIP REPLACEMENT IN 2009. I HAD MY TOTAL LEFT HIP REPLACED IN 2011.I CAN'T, FOR THE LIFE OF ME, FIGURE OUT WHAT THESE NEGATIVE REVIEWS ARE ABOUT.I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO COMPLAINTS. AND SPEAKING OF WAITING FOR A DOCTOR, SOME THINGS ARE JUST WORTH WAITING FOR.THANK YOU, DR. HIP. YOU CHANGED MY LIFE.LIMP IN...LEAP OUT.

|  EXCELLENT Dr  |  show details
Sep 16th, 2012

I want to highly recommend Dr Kevin EhrhartI am seeing him for ripped meniscus and arthritis.I read some reviews that seemed not totally favorable and I had seen him many years ago and felt he was good then and Im glad I went back to him to deal with my most recent issuesI have had only 5 to 10 minute waits. His office staff is really great and friendly.His assistant Tony was very nice and helpful and asked all the right questions.And Dr Ehrhart took his time with me to explain in easy terms what was going on. I have seen him twice and both times he spent a half hour with me.He is knowledgable, kind, and I totally trust his judgement because of those qualities.Yeah the parking is expensive. Many medical facilities are pricey. But if you go early you can possibly find some street parkingAgain I think Dr Ehrhart is awesome. I do not understand some of the previous reviewsSometimes the chemistry between a Doctor and patient is just not right. I have had issues with Doctors being arrogant and disrespectful to me wanting information. But this was so not the case with Dr Ehrhart.And as far as waiting time. I just have not had that experience at all.I can say with confidence go see him if you have an orthopedic issue.

|  Terrible experience with Dr. Ehrhart  |  show details
Aug 28th, 2012

I am a highly unsatisfied patient of Dr. Kevin Ehrhart at Santa Monica Orthopedic Group. I begin seeing Ehrhart about one year ago for knee pain. Ehrhart fits the reputation to a tee of the type of doctor who is arrogant, emotionless and unhappy. He is not a people person. While he is in his early 60s and clearly knowledgeable, his knowledge does not appear to be any better than alternative doctors in the area who have the people skills that Ehrhart sorely lacks.I will try to summarize the following key problems with Ehrhart:1. He overbooks his calendar so the average waiting time to see him is usually an hour. When he finally sees you, he either gives an emotionless apology or no apology at all.2. He refuses to talk to patients over the phone. In order to speak with him, one needs to make an appointment which requires at least an hour of waiting and costs money.3. Often Dr. Ehrhart will not even see the patient, but instead Ric Campbell, Dr. Ehrhart's "physician assistant", who does not have a medical degree, will see the patient instead. Ric Campbell has on several occasions given me medical information that has contradicted what Dr. Ehrhart has told me.4. He is either lazy or overworked or both. I first met with Dr. Ehrhart about a year ago, and he didn't realize a very obvious cause of my knee pain until a follow-up visit almost six months later.5. The person who answers his phone, Patricia (not to be confused with his lovely office manager Ginger), is incompetent. She is incredibly difficult to reach and it can literally take days for her to come back to you. She is not very friendly and generally a hassle to deal with.6. Dealing with Dr. Ehrhart's office is incredibly laborsome. His staff is lazy. It often takes them weeks (or even months) to do things that should only take a doctor's office a day or two. For example, it literally took them two months to get an approval from my insurance company for a certain medication for pain. The magnitude of the delay was exacerbated by Dr. Ehrhart deciding to take vacation without addressing my medication before he left.7. He is bitter. As an orthopedic surgeon in his 60s, Dr. Ehrhart is a bitter man who seems to have had enough of his job. 8. Parking is very expensive. It costs approximately $9-10 per hour t o park in the medical building and the parking is billed every 15 minutes. Over the last year, I've made a significant financial, time and emotional investment into Dr. Kevin Ehrhart and the return on that investment has been terrible. My knee pain has not changed since seeing him. Dealing with his office has been incredibly stressful. My advice to anyone looking for an orthopedist is to look for someone else.

|  Dont waste your time  |  show details
Jul 17th, 2012

I was told from others that this would be a waste of time and I had to try for myself, the first APPT the doctor sent in his PA, which was irritating since I sat for over 1 hour in the lobby. The 2nd visit really was upsetting 2 hours in the lobby and the doctor sent in the PA again, I walked out, never met the Doctor, who clearly overbooks patients. I'm fighting with my insurance company to not pay for the 2nd doctor visit. I'm looking for a new doctor- What a Joke..

Dec 13th, 2011

well I'm an athlete into jim jitsu and tore my ACL playing soccer once , and when I did go to Dr Erhart, he did seem understanding and professional , gave me a detailed description about what would happen if I choose to get that surgery and after the surgery , gave me guidelines to follow even after 6 months of physical therapy, I may have waited a while before I met him , but he's a great guy, had a good smooth surgery 5 days ago , basically he's a great guy, and I advise all athletes like myself to check him out . and judge for yourself and to whoever's reading this I hope you get well soon.

Dec 7th, 2011

Everything about this doctor is a headache....from the wait time on the phone to make an appointment ...to the two hour waiting room time...this doctor is rude and cockeye....i remember reading in premed classes in college that the greatest downfall of a doctor or of anyone in most professions is thinking they know everyting.ehrhart bleeds overcofidence rather than acting like the wiz kid who can read you on first breath....how about actually spending time with the patient.ehrhart performed surgery on my joint he forgot that there is a person attached to that joint

|  EGOMANIAC DOCTOR  |  show details
Mar 22nd, 2011

I HAVE NEVER WAITED LESS THAN A HOUR. DURING MY LAST APPOINTMENT THE DOCTOR SPENT LESS THAN 10 MINUTES WITH ME AND GAVE A DIAGNOSIS THAT WAS SO FAR OFF THAT I WAS STUNNED. HAD HE LISTENED TO ANYTHING I WAS SAYING, HE WOULD HAVE REALIZED THAT WHAT HE WAS SAYING WAS IMPOSSIBLE!

|  RUN. Why I Would NEVER Reccomend Dr. Kevin Ehrhart  |  show details
Sep 8th, 2010

I had a consultation with hip surgeon Kevin Erhard MD in Santa Monica, CA related to hip pain resulting from a fall. Dr. Ehrhart examined me physically and reviewed my medical records and diagnostic imaging which included MRIs. Dr. Ehrhart's bedside manner was soft-spoken and comforting. His diagnosis, memorialized in an in-depth, five page report which said in summary that my hip was NOT damaged in any way, shape or form. Dr. Ehrhart's medical report concluded by saying, that he found no injury to hip and saw no reason why I was not working. Fortunately, two orthopedic surgeons who are skilled in the specialized area of joint preservation surgery did make the correct diagnosis and I went on to undergo successful hip preservation surgery. The images and operative report from my surgery clearly show the injuries that Dr. Ehrhart failed to diagnose or suspect. My two theories on his incorrect diagnosis as follows; Theory No 1. Dr Ehrhart did not disclose evidence of my hip injuries (Note: he was hired by an insurance company to perform an Independent Medical Examination on me) Theory No 2. Dr. Ehrhart was unqualified to and or incapable of making the correct diagnosis of two labral tears and damage to the joint components. Additionally a close friend recently underwent a total hip replacement with with Dr. Ehrhart and my friend continues to be in significant pain many months after the surgery and remains dissatisfied with Dr. Ehrhart's response. What is more, my friend's friend underwent a shoulder repair surgery by Dr, Ehrhart in the late 1990's which left him permanently disabled and with severe chronic pain to this day.

Aug 1st, 2010

I was told there would be low scarring, and I have quite prominent scars.