Sports Medicine Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon
5716 Cleveland St
Ste 200
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
757-490-4802
Locations and availability (1)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Great doctor, horrible admin staff  |  show details
by Lorri on Dec 18th, 2013

Dr. Bonner operated on our daughter in January 2013; knee reconstruction. He is highly recommended, very knowledgeable and super friendly. However, the best way to describe his administrative staff would be uninformed, irresponsible and sharp. They mislead us with a copay quote for a brace my daughter needed post-surgery. Trying to communicate with the accounting department was a nightmare, as they simply did not return calls…seriously, took months. When I finally escalated the issue to the practice’s administrator she would not admit that the staff member that quoted an exact amount of $78.37 as a copay for the brace was wildly incorrect as it was actually $513.29; she just kept referring to the blanket responsibility document she had my daughter (that had just turned 18) sign when she came to the office to drop off the $78.37 check and pick up the brace. I even offered to pay an additional $100.00 - $150.00 towards the brace as my position was that they misguided us and that some of the responsibility fell to them too. She was unbending and has now sent the bill to a collection agency in my daughter’s name; nice…in an inflated amount of $708.65…? As mentioned above, my daughter signed what she thought was a sheet acknowledging receipt of the brace, she didn’t question what was on the paper because she trusted her surgeon and staff, not to mention she just turned 18, so lets be real; they clearly took advantage. There is a caveat to this, I did not call my insurance company prior to receipt of the brace. However, when I spoke with the staff member regarding my concerns about the copay she not only offered, but insisted she would handle it on her end and call me back confirming the copay amount; which she did…$78.37. Although Dr. Bonner is talented, in retrospect it wasn’t worth it as there are many talented surgeons here in Hampton Roads. I can’t even begin to get my arms around how much time I spent trying to get them on the phone, dealing with the insurance company and pure distraction stemming from frustration and growing concern for the actual care our daughter received. Think about it, how could a doctor who cares for his patients actually be okay with the cavalier demeanor and illogical handling of his patients by his staff? Or is he so removed from that part of his practice that he has no idea? Either should be considered before you allow him to put you or your loved one under.

|  Ortho specialist  |  show details
Jul 3rd, 2013

I have worked with Dr. Bonner as an orthopedic operating room RN. I know first hand how he cares for the patient interoperatively. Dr. Bonner is also my orthopedic doctor. And know how he prepares the patient prior to surgery and cares for them postoperatively. I have full confidence in his ability as a surgeon. His choice of nerve block for anesthesia is by far the best. I would recommend Dr. Bonner to anyone.

|  Retired PT  |  show details
by James Dilley on Jul 3rd, 2013

Having worked with a number of orthopedic surgeons, Dr Bonner is at the top of my list. His bedside manner is second to none. He is able to quickly and accurately diagnosis the problem and then explain it to the patient based on his/her level of understanding. He takes the time to make sure the patient not only understands the problem, but also understands his recommended course of action. I have had the opportunity to observe him as he treated both me and my wife. Bottom line is I have total confidence in him.

|  Great Dr  |  show details
Oct 18th, 2012

Wait time at office is why to long.

|  show details
Apr 3rd, 2012

He would not let me cox a crew boat (NO physical activity/ minimal risk involved, my pt thought it would be absolutely fine) only days before my 12 week recovery time was up, i had to miss a camp. not cool.

|  Broken up Golf Professional  |  show details
Mar 6th, 2012

Dr Bonner did a GREAT job repairing my shoulder. I had torn or broken most everything in the shoulder and he put me back together. The surgery was complicated but the outcome was SUPER! I am a Golf Professional and am back on the links with no issues what so ever!Thank you for all your GREAT work.

|  Worth the Wait  |  show details
Oct 11th, 2011

I had been going to Dr. Bonner for several years for severe arthritis of my right knee. He tried numerous treatments, but it was finally time for a total knee replacement. This was done in May of 2009, and I could not have asked for a more caring, competent physician. Whether he was stopping by to see me after the surgery, or during a follow-up office visit, he ALWAYS provided ample time to ask questions. He operated on my husband, too - and we would highly recommend him to EVERYONE!!! No WONDER he's so hard to get an appointment with - but believe me - HE'S WORTH THE WAIT!!!!

|  see another dr if you value your joints  |  show details
Apr 27th, 2011

Dr. Bonner wanted to do a knee replacement on my left knee when there was nothing wrong with my left knee. He took xrays of my legs with my legs bent and then said I had bone-on-bone arthritis and needed knee replacement in my left knee. He actually tried to do knee replacement in both knees. I was there for a torn menisus of my right knee. Needless to say, but I didn't use him as my ortho dr. and I recommend that anyone who reads this doesn't either

|  show details
Apr 22nd, 2011

This is my third go round and could not be happier. Very professional in all aspects