Psychiatrist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

• Currently 3.4193548387097 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Jeff Uding on Mar 12th, 2014

I have been seeing Dr Kinback for a few years and although most visits have been acceptable my visit today was not OK. He asked me several times the same question he had just asked me. He wants to be helpful at times but the one thing that is a real problem with me is billing issues. I will not tolerate someone who has been doing this a long time that charges me a $35 for a no show fee when it was his own offices new system and I did not get a call. He even admitted that he switched systems but yet still would not remove the $35. Apparently his normal fee is $75 and he said he had to code the system in some manner to remove the fee. I thought he removed the entire fee but he chose to just reduce it but yet still charge me for something that was not my fault. I am going to pay the fee but most likely will not return. If I choose to keep getting help I will find someone who can figure out their billing system and not penalize someone who did not miss an appointment for anything other than the fact that his office systems were not working properly. That is not OK with me.

|  Incompetent and rude.  |  show details
by Olivia on Sep 27th, 2013

Please seek the help you need, just don't get it from him.

|  He did apologize!  |  show details
by Julie McCoy on Jun 28th, 2013

Follow up to my previous review of April 13th 2013. I just need to add that Dr K did call me to apologize for the things he said to me, and said he doesn't remember saying them. I do accept his apology and realize I was in a vulnerable position and maybe took things out of context. Other than that, I found him to be a caring doctor who always returned my calls in a timely manner. He was always running behind for his appointments though and I frequently had to wait at least 30 minutes, so be prepared.

|  Wonderful Doctor  |  show details
by Pamela on Jun 3rd, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. Kinback for 7 years. He has always treated me with kindness, respect and compassion. He is an excellent doctor and stays current on new treatments and pharmaceuticals. It saddens me to read some of the negative reviews people have written because he doesn't deserve that. If you are looking for someone to help you overcome your depression you can't find a better doctor than Dr. Kinback. I know because I tried when I moved out of Orange County. I currently drive 90 miles one way to be treated by Dr. Kinback, and he is worth every minute of it!

|  Lighten Up  |  show details
Jun 2nd, 2013

Dr. Kinback has been my physician for more than 5 years. Yes, he is a little quirky, but very professional. He is extremely thorough and is very quick to help get you back to a functional level. I appreciate his honesty, understanding, and care. Give the doctor a chance. The past bad reviews are unfair; lighten up and be open to learn something new about yourself. Sometimes the truth is hard to hear.

|  all your help is appreciated  |  show details
by Leah Latifi on May 30th, 2013

I would definitely recommend Dr. Kinback to my friends. He is very caring and knowledgable in his field of practice.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
by Jay D. Adkisson on May 30th, 2013

Dr. Kinback treated me for serious depression following my earlier bout with cancer. He immediately and correctly diagnosed the problem, prescribed the right meds which immediately got me "out of the woods" and onto a path of total recovery within a few months. I have since visited him regularly, and he has always been prompt, professional and courteous with me. I do not understand the comments below about Dr. Kinback being condescending, as that is simply not his nature. As far as alcohol and depression go, the bottom line is that they do not mix -- if somebody thinks that they can continue to drink and treat depression at the same time, they are as delusional as somebody who thinks they can successfully diet while still regularly eating donuts. When I had my depression, I forced myself to go "cold turkey" and have realized that even slight alcohol consumption has the potential to bring back the depression -- it's not anybody being "judgmental" but rather a statement of hard clinical fact.

|  STAY AWAY  |  show details
May 7th, 2013

Very bad manners, swings on his chair like a two year old, repeats himself dozens of times, makes you think you are addicted to everything (from vitamins to alcohol - I drink once or twice a week socially), treats you like you are mentally challenged, constantly questioning what you tell him... If you're looking for a doctor for depression or anxiety and you want to feel even worse this is probably the right place. Otherwise STAY AWAY!

|  Condescending comments to me  |  show details
by Julie McCoy on Apr 19th, 2013

I went to Dr Kinback for help with my anxiety/ depression. He took a thorough history and physical and spent a good hour on my first visit. He would always answer his emergency pager promptly even after hours. The thing that angered me was during conversation I told him my daughter was going to nursing school and he said "are you sure she should do that, look how you turned out!!" I was so hurt by this comment and was in a very vulnerable position any way. It was very unprofessional. I also was trying to taper off one of my meds and he didn't give me any kind of schedule as to how to do it. It was a benzodiazepine and I had horrible withdrawals, but he didn't help me in a slower taper plan. I always had to wait at least 30 mins for my appointment too.

|  Stay Away!  |  show details
Mar 29th, 2013

What I found is that anyone else is better than this very self righteous, intimidating doctor.

|  I don't agree with bad reviews  |  show details
May 7th, 2012

I have seen Dr. Kinback (Dr. K) for years now. He did the most complete evaluation of all the doctors I have seen. When I had questions, I hesitated to use the emergency #,but he called me quickly after hours and even a holiday weekend. My last doctor didn't even call me after 3 days! I disagree with the other reviewer, as I am also female and Dr. K was very empathetic. The first visit, we had to cover a lot complicated history, but the doctor listened to me and outlined several treatment options and helped me pick. He recommended therapists both in and out of his office and again gave me the choice. I missed my first followup appointment, and his front office called me a few times to reschedule, and he was nice enough to drop most of the missed appointment fee. I have sent 1 friend and 1 family member to Dr. K so far, and after 2 years, I really trust him.

|  Worst doctor I've ever seen  |  show details
Apr 11th, 2012

If you want a reason to commit suicide, go see him. He will let you know money matters more than you as you wait for him to confirm that he received your money. It is cold, uncaring and the kind of guy you would never want to be in the same room with if you are a woman who is tired of treated as garbage.

|  Funny and caring  |  show details
Dec 6th, 2011

Dr Kinback has been very helpful in treating my anxiety. He switched me to a medicine that works better for me and adjusts it accordingly. CVS has messed up my prescriptions a million times (I am no longer using CVS) and every time Dr. Kinback and his staff has solved the problem asap. His staff greets you as soon as you walk in and lets you know if the Dr is running behind.

|  Outstanding Doctor  |  show details
Nov 5th, 2011

I just wanted to say that Dr. Kinback is one of the best doctors I have ever been to. Outside of diagnosing my issue right on the money he also is always trying to get me to quit smoking and is concerned that I have my regular checkups and procedues done at my primary Doctor. How many doctors go above and beyond even what they are treating? I have a sister-in-law that I also referred to Dr. Kinback and she drives all the way from Glendale CA just to see him because she had some other doctors that she did not like. Since she has been going to Dr, Kinback she is a new person. I read some of the negative comments and how can you call a doctor a quack that you have bever even seen. The only issue at all is the wait sometimes but that is consistent with great doctors that have many patients and spend the time needed with each patient to guarantee their success with his treatment. Take it from my Top Notch Psychiatrist.

|  Love Dr. Kinback  |  show details
Oct 18th, 2011

No one is more professional, more supportive or more knowledgeable in his field. Dr. K has gotten me through some rough times, most recently related to a job change. Have worked with him over the course of three years. Love him. Would highly recommend his services!

May 21st, 2011

I have been with Dr Kinback for over 5 years now and would highly recommend him. He has been kind, compassionate and professional.I have suffered from depression for a long time and Dr Kinback has helped me get my life back on track.Thank you, Dr K.

May 18th, 2011

Sometimes there is a wait but that is not unusual for dr.'s offices. Once I get in to see Dr. Kinback, he always takes the time I need and appears to be thorough in his questions and procedures.

|  He is a great doctor  |  show details
Apr 15th, 2011

I have been to psychiatrist for the past 10 years and He is the one who is been able to manage my bipolar II the best. He is old school in a very good way. He will spend time with you and listen to your symptoms. I am very satisfied with him and he has been very patient with me. I only wish I had met him much earlier.

|  Dr. Kinback is Professional and Caring  |  show details
Dec 23rd, 2010

Dr. Kinback is both Professional and Caring and an expert in his field. I have been a patient for two years now and my progress in this time has been substantial. I would recomment Dr. Kinback to my family and friends. He listens!!!

|  Happy with Kinback!  |  show details
by Lyndee on Dec 6th, 2010

Dr. Kinback is a very professional, educated and helpful doctor. I have been a patient of his for 4 years now and cannot be happier.

|  Don't waste your time.  |  show details
Nov 13th, 2010

Inattentive (left the room multiple times to check on other patients). Also didn't listen, asked questions and then asked more while I was still in the middle of my answer. At one point he actually gave me legal advice. Rude to his staff and the office was shabby and unprofessional. On the opposite page though, his staff is very nice, particularly his nurse.

by G on Jun 19th, 2010

Dr. Kinback is a doctor that can help you change your life for the better. He is a person who you will remember as an ally. Dr. Kinback is both specific and time-effective. During each appointment, he will take the time that is necessary for you to know that your issues have been heard and addressed.

|  Personable and Caring  |  show details
by Pamela on May 16th, 2010

I have been Dr. Kinback's patient for 4 years. I have always found him to be very professional, very personable and genuinely concerned about my overall health and wellbeing, unlike other psychiatrists I have seen. It is always easy to get an appointment and without a long lead time. I would happily recommend Dr. Kinback to any family or friends in need.

|  This Doctor is very unresponsive  |  show details
May 6th, 2010

I called to make an appointment on April 19th. The first time the receptionist said that new appointments were 8 weeks out. I then called again, the same day to make an appointment. I was told that they would have to check with the Doctor and would call me back with a date for an appointment. They never called back. I did call again several days later, was told again that I would get a call-back. Did not hear from the office. Long story short...today after numerous phone calls, I was told that the Dr would not accept me as a new patient. Why should it take 3 weeks to hear this from the doctors front office? I think this guy may be a real quack...at the least he is very unprofessional. I feel that my time was wasted. I was led to believe that I would get an appointment. I would be cautious in dealing with this particular Dr and his front office.

Doctor's Response

This patient was advised that we refer her specific condition to other providers, who are more specialized in this type of care. She did not like that & kept calling trying to reach different staff to give her an appointment anyway. When we finally realized she was calling us repeatedly, we again explained why we couldn't schedule her. We are happy to call insurance companies and have a case manager help with urgent appointments if we can't accommodate a new patient. We pride ourselves on being polite & tactful when patients are angry or inappropriate on the first phone call, but if the staff becomes uncomfortable with a very angry patient such as this, it is clearly best that this patient choose another doctor. We apologize to this patient again, for any confusion or misunderstanding :) Please call if you want help with other referrals.

Apr 30th, 2010

I've been going to Dr. K for 5 years and have always been treated with caring and respect. Treatment under his care has enabled me to enjoy and maintain excellent well-being which is of great importance to me and my family. I would recommend Dr. Kinback without hesitation.

|  I trust Dr. Kinback  |  show details
by Janine Carver on Mar 31st, 2010

I first saw Dr. K two years ago when I was falling apart due to depression after a divorce. He has remained my doctor for these past 2 years and I am happy to say that I no longer suffer as I was and my depression has been curtailed due to this doctors reccommendations and constant attention to my issues. He is a doctor that I absolutely trust. I feel grateful to have found a doctor like this.

|  WONDERFUL NEW TMS TREATMENT  |  show details
by gina on Mar 30th, 2010

Dr worked me in after hours for special tms treatment. he really worked hard for me, and I appreciated it a lot. he always responds to phone calls promptly.

|  Tina  |  show details
Nov 15th, 2009

I have been seeing Dr. Kinback for five years now and find him easy to talk to, positive, and good at follow through. I would recommend him to others.

|  Great at diagnosing,follow up, knowledge of all current meds and how to apply them with the proper diagnosis  |  show details
by Bill Sellers Jr on Aug 1st, 2008

I have been with Dr. Kinback since 1996 with major psych,ptsd,depression & major head trauma issues. Through his kindness,understanding,and above all his ability to listen to you and observe. this is where he is head and shoulders above the rest. He truely diagnoses correctly and with his vast knowledge in the psych pharmasuticals he really allows his patients to function once again. And doing so knowing that they have a doctor that cares about them and follows up with them. You will never be on your own. I owe my entire functional existance to Dr. Kinback's professionalism. YOU CAN'T PICK A MORE COMPETENT DOCTOR.

|  Great Doctor Care  |  show details
by Katie on Jun 19th, 2008

I have to disagree with the negative comments posted by. My experince with this doctor has been very positive. Yes last year Dr. Kinback moved his office and had minor construction for awhile. Being organized is as everyone knows,is a natural part of a major move. As far as the staff being unprofessional; I have been a patient of Dr. Kinback for years I have never had a negative experience. It is clear to me that the person who wrote the negative feedback is probably a negative person accross the board.