Dr. Keyvan Zavarei MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8

March 23rd, 2016
One of the worst appointments I've ever experienced
I went to get an epidural for a disc problem in my back. The Dr's. assistant asked me to lie on a table on my stomach. A few moments later I felt a needle going into my back . A few moments after that another needle was inserted, which after the fact I assume was the epidural. I felt some discomfort because the fluids were being injected too quickly. I told them I was experiencing a little pain and asked them to slow down the insertion of the fluids. I received no response. A few moments went by and the assistant then told me to go into another room. I sat and waited thinking that they numbed the area and the epidural would follow shortly. The assistant came back several minutes later and told me I was done and could leave. I was a bit stunned... The Dr. never greeted me or introduced himself, did not speak with me, did not give me any information regarding what was going to happen. Gave me no information regarding what I should or shouldn't do after the epidural. He never spoke one word to me. I have never received such poor treatment from any doctor I've ever seen. I would not recommend this Dr. nor would I ever see him again for any reason.

November 23rd, 2013
Wonderful, caring physician
Dr. Zavarei is one of the few doctors , who is not only competent, but very compassionate , related to me very well. He took his time with me, he was prepared and had read my history and reviewed my MRI before he came in the room. He really took his time and showed me on the spine model, educated me about my condition, and discussed with me short term and long term treatments. I strongly recommend him to any one who is looking for low back treatment.

June 3rd, 2013
didn't want to hear my overall medical health problems
Although I had scheduled an appointment for a new patient appointment time, which is supposed to be longer than a normal appointment, so the doctor and patient can discuss patient history and possible treatments, Dr. Z had an emergency that morning, so I have to first assume he was in a hurry. However, at the beginning of the appointment, he immediately accused me of seeking more narcotics even though I disclosed in my patient profile packet that I was already receiving narcotics and all of the other medications I take from another provider. Without giving me a chance to explain that I only wanted non-narcotic cortisone shots from him in case my back went out again, he immediately pulled out the pharmacy list that shows which doctor is prescribing me narcotics, (which I already knew that doctors can track all of your pharmacy purchases, so it's not like he pulled this BIG surprise on me about the pharmacy medication tracking list). Then Dr. Z criticized the particular doctor about prescribing me controlled medications, even though this other doctor is very careful, He criticized my other doctor for prescribing pain narcotics without even knowing my health problems history, and almost accused me of seeing him to only get more narcotics (which is a violation for two doctors to prescribe), and immediately made me feel bad like I was a drug seeker, stupid, and "trying to get around the system". He never asked about my other health chronic conditions and health history, spent only about 10 minutes with me, and didn't really explain well the cortisone epidural procedure that he wanted to perform. His staff did not explain either the procedure at all and acted strangely/inexperienced, and just gave me some paperwork about directions before the procedure. There was no follow-up or any other communication; just made me feel badly that I was taking narcotics/controlled substances without knowing why since he never looked at the paperwork I had carefully and honestly filled out, and assumed that I only wanted more pain killers. None of this was the truth because he never asked any questions about me, just accused and dictated his beliefs without knowing about my education/knowledge about pain killers. I am only going to see him again for the cortisone epidural (which was only my goal to get in the first place, but he didn't inquire about that either), When I switch health plans in November, I will immediately switch my pain management doctor as well. If you are looking for a compassionate doctor that wants to be a good listener, and to get to know your medical history and conditions, forget about Dr. Z. He already has his own assumptions and doesn't want to know about you or your questions or ideas. (Perhaps he was better about that a few years ago, but is now jaded because of all the addicted people that ruin it for the honest ones.) I've read that he is highly qualified and have confidence that he will do a good job about the cortisone shots (which can be very painful!), but I also like and need a doctor that is interested in me as a person with medical history as well so that Dr. Z could get to know me better. I want a doctor that actually reads the paperwork that I spent 20 minutes diligently filling out. I like when doctors take the time to read my patient/medication history, and see if I'm honest person that discloses all of my medications without only having him just pull out that pharmacy list of medications that I've purchased. He barely glanced at my paperwork history, and made negative assumptions about me immediately without any questions. If you want a doctor that is a compassionate listener, this is not the one. He will only dictate to you his ideas and opinions without any of your input. I don't care how experienced and qualified Dr. Z is when it's so important to know a patient's individual personal situation as well.

June 15th, 2012
Dr Zavarei and his staff are great. Always a smile and you never feel rushed out.

September 1st, 2011
Best Doctor
I recommend Dr. Keyvan Zavarei anyone that is looking for quality care from an excellent physician that takes time to educate his patients about their conditions.He set short term and long term goals and a plan to achieve those goals, I am extremely happy with the care that I received from Dr. Keyvan Zavarei. He is very careful with prescribing narcotic pain medications and limits the usage of those types medications to an absolute minimum necessary and does not over prescribe pain medications , I really like that about him, specially these days that addiction to pain medications is becoming an epidemic. He does not call in narcotic pain medications and makes you come in, if you need a refill of narcotic pain medications, I feel that it is his way of discouraging the use of those type of medications.He has always returned my calls and called in medications that are not restricted and are non- narcotic.My epidural injections have been so helpful that I rarely need to use pain pills anymore and if I do , I do not mind see him and let him monitor me, so I do not develop addiction those dangerous Medications.I really appreciate to have a doctor like him that cares about his patients.Simply said, he is one of the best doctors I have ever had and I recommend him to anyone.

June 17th, 2011
Too Many Required Appointments!!
Dr. Zavarei is a very sweet guy and very charming. The epidurals are done in- office, and he has never hurt me during injections, which is great! HOWEVER, Dr. Zavarei doesn't like talking to patients on the phone, refilling meds, or requesting procedures without office visits. Sometimes, just a few days after being seen, if I asked for a refil or a procedure, he'd make me come in AGAIN for an office visit!! Also, he does what HE wants to do without considering the patient's wants. I have never had a doctor require an office visit for a refil on a regularly-taken med that I have been on, under that doctor, for a while. But Keyvan Zavarei does require this. He claims that he's covering his you-know-what. But maybe he enjoys the extra income all those office visits bring in! Who knows. I am sad to have to leave Dr. Zavarei. I wish he had respected and trusted me more as an educated person who wants to be more in control of my health.

August 13th, 2010
Trustworthy
I have been a patient for several months and have had a better--no much better--experience with Dr. Zavarei than my former St. Jude Heritage doctor, Dr. Ko. Dr. Zavarei performs painless injections and is very personable. I recommend him and also his associate at the same Anaheim office.

July 6th, 2010
The Best of the Best
Dr Zavarei is the most professional, intelligent yet compassionate pain mgmt. physician I have had the pleasure of being a patient of. His ability to listen, diagnose correctly then act promptly to correct and/or ease our pain is to be commended. I have been under the care of many pain mgmt physicians for quite a few years from PA to CA. and I can honestly say Dr. Zavarei is the Best of the Best.God Bless You Dr. Zavarei and may your caring hands & genious mind continue to care for many patients.

May 27th, 2010
finally some who cares!!! Dr. Z is the best!

January 23rd, 2010
Quality
Dr. Zavarei spent time educating me about my condition, his explonations were very clear.I have had several epidural injections for my neck and back issues and have been able to avoid surgery for several years.He is simply the best and most knowledgable doctor I have ever had.

January 22nd, 2009
BEST MD I've had
Dr. Zavarei has been the best thing that happened to me since I had a car accident and injured my back. I am feeling so much better. He is a great doctor, I can't thank him enough. I have seen multiples MDs before him without improvement of my condition. I recommend him to everybody.

July 3rd, 2008
Gave me my life back
Dr. Zavarei is a wonderful and kind man. He finally gave me my life back. I am thankful for his knowledge.