Dr. Khanh Hoang MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8

March 24th, 2015
Not for young people with rare issues
Wanted to write a review to balance the other review written here. I've gone back and forth on whether to write a review about my experience with Dr. Hoang, for fear that I could anger her or others in the practice which could affect my care in the future. But given that my experience so directly contradicts the other review here, here goes: I am a young, healthy woman in my 20's who had very clear symptoms of a TIA, followed by a strange headache starting in the base of my neck that steadily got worse over a few days. I went to Dr. Hoang because I have a family history of heart disorders that have caused strokes in others in my family. They got me in quickly, which I appreciated. I already felt a little silly going there for a headache and what I thought was a TIA after reading up online, because it was so unlikely. That said, I KNEW something was very wrong with me, because I know my body and I had done my research. I gave the nurse an overview of my symptoms, which I assume she passed on to Dr. Hoang along with her own assessment that nothing was wrong with me. As soon as Dr. Hoang walked in, she had a generally patronizing look on her face -- clearly communicating before we had even interacted that she thought my presence in her office was ridiculous. As I tried to describe in detail what had happened and my current symptoms, she was already shaking her head and saying "no, you're fine -- you did NOT have a TIA, and you most likely have a tension headache." She did not even give me a chance to describe my symptoms; she had made up her mind already upon looking at me and seeing a 29-year-old runner amongst her elderly patient set for the day. For what I assume were liability reasons, she ordered an echo, carotid scan, and a stress test, which were all performed on site that day. The next morning, a Saturday, I went to the ER, where the rounding neurologist listened closely to my symptoms, told me they were the CLASSIC symptoms of a vertebral arterial dissection, and ordered an MRI/MRA to confirm. At that point, I was promptly put on blood thinners to mitigate my risk of stroke and admitted to the hospital. Turns out, Dr. Hoang not only failed to do her one job, which was to (at the bare minimum) listen to my symptoms, and then connect the dots to diagnose me, but she then put me at even greater risk of stroke by putting me on a treadmill and raising my heart rate as high as it would go, while I had a tear and 100% occlusion in my vertebral artery. To top it off, 3 weeks after I got out of the hospital, I got a $500 bill to be paid out-of-pocket for the tests she ordered. My diagnosis was incredibly rare, and does not necessarily fall under her specialty, but what drives me to write the review was the fact that she was so confident that she knew the situation, she didn't even listen to my account. Had she done that, she might have picked up that what I was describing was a classic description of a dissection, like the hospital neurologist had, and as a quick search on google will tell you. Then she probably put me at the most risk of serious injury I've ever been in in my life. And then had me pay her to do it.

April 12th, 2014
Although I'm one of the youngest patients with an uncommon diagnosis, I never am made to feel awkward or unusual, always getting compassionate care. She listens, supports, is appropriate with necessary testing (not "hesitant" or "eager"), doubles and triple checks her work, and has a fantastic bedside manner. Dr. Hoang is smart and solid. I trust her with my heart.