Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN), Oncology Specialist (cancer)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Suzette Cook on Sep 16th, 2014

Dr. Tewari, performed my mothers surgery. She was diagnosed with Endometrial Uterine Cancer, Stage 1 grade 2. Dr. Tewari removed all of her "lady parts" along with the lymph nodes around that area. The surgery went quite well, she only stay at the hospital for 2 days before being sent home, but a week after she was recooperating she came down with some terrible symptoms. She waw ghostly pale, began to feel excrutiating pain in her abdomen along with a terrible fever and profussive sweating, it was clear something was very wrong. After several attempted phone calls to Dr. Tewari he basically texted my mom to go to the hospital. I rushed her to St. Joseph's Hospital in Orange where they took some xrays of her abdomen and immediately diagnosed her with Diverticulitis. They phoned Dr. Tewari to let him know, but he was not available, one of his assistants came by the hospital & began to treat my mother. She began a regimen of intravaneous pain medication, liquid foods, and laxatives in hopes that the supposed obstruction (Diverticulitis) in her stomach would pass through. After 2 1/2 days of immense pain, hemmeroids, bleeding and "the worst" diarreah caused by the laxatives, my mom was not getting better so they finally decided to run blood test. Low and behold a high white blood count, popped up, which equalls infection! The hospital staff (mind you Dr. Tewari was NEVER around for any of this) began a regimen of antibiotics, and what do you know, my mom was feeling better within the hour! The worst part about this is the fact that Dr. Tewari's assistant still insisted that my mom had Diverticulitis and that she had not contracted an infection during surgery. She held up to her lie even though she knew that was not true. She knew, the nurses knew, and the hospital staff knew my mom contracted an infection during surgery but they all stayed hush in fear of a legal altercation. My mom recently went in for a Colonoscopy and guess what? The Doctor that performed the procedure confirmed our alllegations, SHE NEVER HAD DIVERTICULITIS! Please be aware that my complaint is against Dr. Tewari and his assistant for their negligence & St. Josephs hospital for not running preliminary blood work following surgery protocol. To this day my mom is haunted by the hospital bill and the horrific experience.

|  Very good Dr.  |  show details
by josbon on Jul 31st, 2013

Dr. Tewari is an excellent Dr. In my situation I was diasgonsed with stage one endometrial cancer. Dr. Tewari was recommended to me by my obgyn. The uterus removal was suppossed to be quick and easy. When he actually got in to do the surgery he had to open me up and that's when he discovered a stage three cancer. I am very grateful that he chose to keep me under until he was satisfied that he had checked and tested everthing. Subsequently I had to have chemo. He has always been very positive and understanding. He or his fellows are always availabe to answer any questions. He also gave me his cell #. In case I needed to text or call with a question. The whole cancer thing can be very stressfull. His staff has been able to put things into perspective and make me feel a t ease. I have read some reviews that say the wait time is too long. Well I just don't think that's a problem because he does spend a lot of time with his patients. That means that he can't be in two places at the same time. I'd rather wait and get full attention than see a Dr. that has to buzz off to see anotber patient.

|  HMO beware - only cancer or else  |  show details
by T Ng. on Jul 26th, 2013

I have no doubt about Dr. Tewari's skills and kindness. But I doubt his office services are professional. However, people should know that Dr. Tewari only accepts patients with cancer. Period. If you do not have cancer, do not believe his office staff when they tell you coming in and assume the UCI group will care for you till the end. Here is how we were serviced. In the 1st tri-semester of our pregnancy, we discovered tumors and in the 2nd trisemester, our own OB/Gyn doctor refused caring for us and recommended us going to another doctor because of the tumors in the womb. We were informed they were not cancerous but could lead to removal of the uterus or danger the baby. We researched and found that the transferred doctor was not better than the OB/Gyn doctor. But, we know no good doctor in our medical group (we have HMO) so that we again researched and called Dr. Tewari offices. We told office staffs the kind and how big the tumor was and was told by the staff that Dr. Tewari will accept our insurance & take care our pregnancy. So we switched our medical insurance group to Dr. Tewari's group. We went to Dr. Tewari and was examined and sent to some diagnostic tests. After the tests done we were in the final 3 months of our pregnancy. But, in our 2nd appointment, an UCI colleague doctor of Dr. Tewari, not him, saw us & informed us about the test results that we did not have cancer and that Dr. Tewari could not care for the pregnancy because it was not cancer. And he said that we must go back to our OB/Gyn . We were surprised, in the room, informed this doctor that our OB/Gyn had refused us and did not know who to return. But, the doctor did not respond and left us there in the room ourselves. We saw Dr. Tewari was in the office at the time, on the way out, and talked to him. We asked him if he knew a good doctor who can do the inevitable surgery delivery. Dr. Tewari was nicely referring us another good OB/Gyn doctor. We left hopefully with notes of name and phone of referral. However, it was already in the final tri-semester (last 3 months) of the pregnancy so that the HMO did not allow us to change to the referred doctor by Dr. Tewari. Things were becoming seriously complicated as we scrambled to find a good OB/Gyn doctor that can do the surgery, and accept the insurance. Our due date is one month of the delivery. Fortunately, my relative is a nurse and she asks her patients to know any good doctor and thanks god that we found a OB/Gyn doctor who accepted us from her help. And we had our surgery delivery done without problem. However, there was nothing new from going to Dr. Tewari. Because we already know before coming to Dr. Tewari that our tumors were not cancerous - just riskily and dangerous birth for both mom and babe. So why did his office staffs (in Irvine and Long Beach office) told us to switch the medical group to his group in order to be examined by Dr. Tewari - if the doctor only accepts cancer patients? The office where we went to see the doctor acts like everything is normal, like we were cared for until the end, until we was dropped the refusal in the end of eighth month of pregnancy. If you have HMO, being refused delivery care in the third tri-semester of the pregnancy is seriously problematic. You can read your insurance policy to see if yours is like mine. Not to mention a fact that a pregnant mother with abnormal delivery has to find a good doctor, who accepts surgery delivery job, in one month is very difficult. The problem left us with bills to pay because of the switching in the 3rd trisemester and the HMO refused to pay. Medical groups wants me to pay. And Dr. Tewari's UCI office wants me to pay doctor visit fee for the 2nd appointment. We had to pay Dr. Tewari's office and medical groups both because we signed all the papers as normally required. We just don't think that they were professional care givers. I have 4 stars scale, so I give 2 stars to Dr. Tewari and zero to his office, Now, you'll be the judge. Thank you

Feb 28th, 2013

Absent minded Doctor! Hospital Nurses complained that he would not return their calls. He rushed through my surgery and when he found out that he should have taken out lymph nodes he said to me "I'm not sure what to do, do you want a second surgery?" He was suppose to drop off my biopsy at UCI for evaluation but for three weeks he kept "forgetting". The final straw was when I saw one of his Fellows and then he was suppose to come in to talk with me. I sat for 45 minutes and when he finally came in and said "I'm sorry, they told me you were here, but I forgot." In addition, his examining rooms are filthy.

|  mothers cancer  |  show details
Sep 19th, 2012

Dr. Twari took my mother as a patient and removed all of her cancer when no other Doctor would.He is one of the best, he removed all of the cancer and no radiation was needed. Thank you so much!

Apr 2nd, 2012

Dr. Tewari was very nice, took time to answer all my questions and explain my diagnosis and possible procedure. I like that he took a more conservative approach, rather than jumping right into surgery. I felt very comfortable with him and his staff.

|  Love him!  |  show details
Dec 22nd, 2011

I have had nothing but the best interactions with Dr. Tewari and all of his staff. It may be possible that the other reviewers may be getting him confused with his brother, who has thebexact same specialty, but practices here in So Cal at Kaiser. I have known people treated by the brother, and who had those same opinions. Thanks to Dr. tewari, who I absolutely feel saved my life, and to all the staff, both in his office and the Infusion Center, who made me feel completely taken care of, and gave me nothing to worry about.

|  excellent, caring GYN ONC  |  show details
Jun 7th, 2010

I feel very comfortable with Dr. Tewari. He is an excellent surgeon and did an amazing job in my surgery. At UCI, I did get a lot of my care from resident physicians but I always saw Dr. Tewari at each visit and he answered my questions.

|  A Life Saver  |  show details
by Rose King on Feb 14th, 2010

He is a great Doctor, with a wonderful personality, a great surgeon. My family was very pleased with Dr. Tewari. He is a life saver. I owe him great gratitude...

by Cancer patient's husband on May 28th, 2009

Dr. Tewari seemed very arrogant about what he felt and did. Didnt seem to come accross as a warm person. His theory was like ... if i didnt do it ... it cant be right.

Feb 19th, 2009

Dr. Tewari has a nice smile but doesn't seem to connect or listen to patients - seems to lack empathy. Can be very Late to appoitments. Doesn't seem to understand hormones that are being prescribed to patient. Doesn't adequately address concerns about healing after surgery. The benefit of being treated by him - he can do surgery laprascopically (robotic) instead of laparotomy (full abdominal inscision).