Internist, Endocrinologist (diabetes, hormones)

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

Some ratings provided by CitySearch.
 |  Getting a new Endo  |  show details
Oct 9th, 2014

Have been seeing Dr Akright for almost 20 years. Last few years her office is sub standard. They are now pushing patients to see Nurse Practitioners because she wants to scale back on patients. Not for me. Takes an act of congress to get orders to lab for tests , loses labs, no longer considers what patients say goes by standard test results not what is best for you. Over medicated me and when I told her that - I was told there was no way that could be. In one month they wasted my time 3 different days by not having orders and trying to force a nurse practitioner on me! Was told in her defense by Denise that she has 3000 patients. Well Denise needs to change her defense spiel because now Dr Akright has only 2999 patients. Finding a new doc !

May 3rd, 2014

Trying to get a response from this practice is next to impossible. I plan to find a new Endocrinologist.

|  No longer a viable practice  |  show details
Sep 30th, 2013

I've been going to Dr Akright for years, but over the past few years things have really gone down hill. Not only is patient care marginal, but if you are successful in getting an appointment (be warned - they have a policy of only seeing patients every 6 months), and plan on 45-90 minutes in the waiting room. Seeing Dr Akright herself is next to impossible, her practice now revolves around Denese, a medical assistant, and two nurse practitioners. If you suffer from anything other than very basic thyroid disease, or the most straightforward case of diabetes, you will not get adequate care. Complicated cases are too much for this practice. The practice is currently set up like an out-sourced business. All care follows pre-set protocols, so there are no options for taking part in your own care. All communications are via Nextmd (online medical server), even appointments. And unfortunately, Denese, screens all communications – even if you mark it confidential to Dr. Akright. Denese is cold, rude, and literally unresponsive, yet she controls all access. And if you ever are by some miracle able to get Denese on the phone, be warned, she has such poor listening skills, it is next to impossible to get questions answered or your medical needs met. I hate to give up on Dr Akright, but her previously excellent care is no longer available.

|  Too busy to provide adequate care  |  show details
Jun 19th, 2013

I am reviewing Dr. Akright's practice as a whole, not her personally. I experienced decidedly sub-standard care from her office. The medical records they generated from my visits were inaccurate. Lab results and subsequent medicine dosage adjustments were untimely. Ultimately I switched to a new endocrinologist who immediately started aggressive treatment for my rather serious condition. Undoubtedly, her office location is ideal and her staff is very friendly. However, the actual medical care you will receive is, from my experience, below industry standard. Be prepared to advocate for yourself if you chose this practitioner.

Oct 15th, 2012

Scheduled as "first patient of the day"...waited 2 hours. Tried to sell me diet products; don't need them I actually weigh 105 lbs. Second appointment again was first patient of day; sat there for over an hour only to find out that someone else was in the examining room with my chart as they mixed my chart with someone elses; this was only discovered after I went to the front desk to inquire why I was still sitting there. Since I needed my refill I stuck around; saw the NP, got my refills and will never return again.

|  Does not listen  |  show details
Sep 8th, 2011

I was very disappointed.She would not listen to my symptoms at all and was very rude.My daughter was with me and also felt the same way.She kept cutting me off as i was trying to tell her how i was feeling.Told me to get the blood test and just herded me out the door.

Aug 12th, 2011

I absolutely adore Laura Akright! After I had a minor stroke and subsequent open heart surgery to correct a birth defect (ASD), I was diagnosed as Type II diabetic. I was very depressed and stressed over all that had happened in such a short amount of time. The first time I saw Dr. Akright she was very compassionate and caring - took a lot of time with me and made me feel so much better, both emotionally and physically. She referred me to a dietitian who let me know that I can eat normally again - that was a blessing, too. I have wholeheartedly referred several of my friends to Dr. Akright and they have all been very pleased. I certainly hope she doesn't plan to retire any time soon!!

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Apr 8th, 2011

I have had type 1 diabetes for 44 years.Dr. Fetchick has been my MD for over 20 yrs.I am also an RN. This woman is very knowledable,compassionate and thorough. She listens to the patient and works with the patient as a team player. Diabetes is a disease that is highly individualized and requires a team effort to control and maintain. I feel very fortunate to hsve had her on my team as I am healthy and know that I can turn to her for sound advice.

Mar 28th, 2011

Dr. Akright is the best doctor I have seen in a long time. She was so caring and compassionate, and it felt like she really wanted to help me.

|  Very unethical  |  show details
Feb 28th, 2011

Dr. Akright prescribed female hormone to my son because he wanted to be a girl. My son was 24 when he found this doctor. She willingly gave my son these meds without finding out anything about his life, whether this decision was right for him or not. My son had a very normal life, but had a bad break up with a girl about 2 years ago, from then he started making online characters he was using female. He cannot get a job or hold one down because of anxiety and because of a birth injury to his arm... so he has no income and no medical insurance, so this doctor took him in and took his school money to pay for appointments and meds. If this doctor would have done a psych eval she would have learned he needed psychiatric help, not female hormone. He spends his whole day sleeping and he is up all night playing WOW. The only place he lives as a girl is online. Once he started growing boobs is when we found out what he was doing and by then he was too afraid to come out of his room without his arms around his chest.My son is currently admitted to a psychiatric hospital and under suicide watch thanks to all this.Find a doctor that cares more about the person than the buck.

|  No moral ethics  |  show details
by JessW at Citysearch on Feb 28th, 2011 on citysearch.com

Dr. Akright prescribed female hormone to my son because he wanted to be a girl. My son was 24 when he found this doctor. She willingly gave my son these meds without finding out anything about his life, whether this decision was right for him or not. My son had a very normal life, but had a bad break up with a girl about 2 years ago, from then he started making online characters he was using female. He cannot get a job or hold one down because of anxiety and because of a birth injury to his arm... so he has no income and no medical insurance, so this doctor took him in and took his school money to pay for appointments and meds. If this doctor would have done a psych eval she would have learned he needed psychiatric help, not female hormone. He spends his whole day sleeping and he is up all night playing WOW. The only place he lives as a girl is online. Once he started growing boobs is when we found out what he was doing and by then he was too afraid to come out of his room without his arms around his chest.Thanks to all this, he is currently committed to a psychiatric hospital and is under suicide watch... Find a doctor that cares more about her patients than just getting a buck where she can.

|  Wonderful  |  show details
Jan 12th, 2011

I have been blessed to have Dr. Akright as my endocrinologist. She is a very caring woman and listens to everything you have to say. She is very professional in what she does, and always follows up. I was 12 when I first went to her, and she has helped me through life as symptom-free as possible since then, almost eight years ago. I have, and will continue to, recommend only her to anybody looking for the best of the best in endocrinology.

|  Do not use for Type 1 Diabetes  |  show details
Sep 11th, 2010

DO NOT go to Dr. Akright if you have Type 1 Diabetes. It is clearly not her specialty and she has little experience adjusting basal rates and insulin usage in general. She does not check feet, or do any physical exam at all. Additionally, Dr. Akright pushes supplements for a company called Theralogix for a profit. This is not properly disclosed, you are simply told you have a vitamin deficiency and then told you'll be sent a "prescription". The scrip turns out to be a referral to a website with a reference code which supplies the doctor with a commission. Please BEWARE and be aware.

by record701 on Jan 8th, 2009 on citysearch.com

I have seen Dr. Fetchick for a thyroid problem. Although I would say that she seems to interested in her patients, I would not recommend her. She needs to have a complete office management change. First, it is hard, sometimes impossible to get someone on

by tracytlc on May 31st, 2008 on citysearch.com

I saw Dr. Fetchinck after another Dr. told me my thyroid nodules were cancer & I required surgery asap. She would not listen to me. Dr. Fetchink was wonderful she listened and looked at ALL the info, it has been 3 years since my first appt. I still h

by texasgirlmelissa on Jun 25th, 2006 on citysearch.com

My husband and I had been trying for a baby for 3 years. I went to Dr. Akkright in February of 05' and just 3 months later we were expecting! She listened to me and took into consideration what I had to say and was able to pinpoint and resolve our probl