Dr. Laura Gitlin MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

no change

August 12th, 2016
Dr. Gitlin does a decent job but her staff is the worst. My wife just had a routine procedure that the billing manager billed as diagnostic. My insurance company asked her to change the coding, but the manager refused. Cost to me $900.00. Lied about getting laboratory preauthorization from my insurance company. They never called my insurance company. Full cost of lab sent to me. Cost $875.00. She's lost me & my family as patient's, and I'll never give her a good recommendation.

June 16th, 2016
Front Desk Gatekeeper Terminates Long-term Patient
Upon reporting on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday as directed by front office staff to complete preliminary paperwork and other routine matters prior to a colonoscopy which Dr. Gitlin has conducted on myself on at least two other occasions over the course of six or more years, I was shut-down immediately with the following: "You have an HMO; the doctor does not accept HMO's. I immediately called my insurer and was told by customer service, "You have a PPO, not an HMO." Upon sharing this with the front desk, I was told again, "You have an HMO; the doctor does not accept HMO's. I requested that the front desk staffer speak with customer service which she less than enthusiastically did after which she stated, "The doctor does not have a contract with your insurer," or something equally confounding. To be honest, I was handed the names of two other gastroenterologists in the area, one I promptly made an appointment with for the colonoscopy which will soon be overdue. Professional courtesy can go a long way in easing a situation directly affecting a patient because of contractual negotiations or changes in insurance coverage. Past treatment, exams, diagnoses, follow-ups have been all exemplary. I'm at a loss to explain how or why this seemingly allergic reaction came about.

October 31st, 2015
Front office seems annoyed and rude and can't be bothered when a patient calls. Would not recommend this doctor's office. Very matter-of-fact. Doctor does not give complete information on treatment. Patient's new to this problem do not know what to ask.

April 20th, 2015
Unprofessional staff and policies
Very disappointed in the front desk staff while attempting to book an appointment as a new resident of this area! Basically was told I had to come recommended by a physician, when mentioned my physician is in CA and sure records would be shared I was informed sorry. The greatness of doctors should surround themselves with great staff and show some sort of caring for patients. Good luck.

December 11th, 2014
Didn't even get an appt
I have a PPO and tried to make an appointment - the receptionist told me "we have a protocol " and that they would call me back to make an appointment. Plenty of other doctors out there. Don't waste your time.

August 4th, 2014
Very Rude and Bias Provider and Office Staff -- Don't Recommend!!!
Attempted to get an emergency appointment; told that a referral was needed from PCP (even tho insurance doesn't require one). Referral from PCP sent; refused to be seen because I have Medicain as a THIRD insurance. Also have Cigna (primary) and Medicare (secondary). When as to explain was told that she doesn't see Medicaid patients but confirmed she is a provider for Cigna and Medicare. Office staff very rude and hung up on me.

September 30th, 2013
disappointed
I have been trying to make another appointment with this office which I was told I did not need another referral because my insurance company would not pay for due to my age but they told me if I had issues then all I had to do is call and I could get an appointment, they do not call back, they are not helpful and do not care

July 30th, 2013
AWESOME doctor!
I gave her 2 stars for Ease of Appointment only because I couldn't just make an appointment on my own. She requires a referral from your primary care doctor before she will see you. SHE IS WORTH THE EXTRA STEP. She is thorough, knowledgeable, warm, and friendly. But she will tell you like it is. She doesn't sugar coat the facts. She will spend time with you and answer all your questions without acting like she's in a hurry. She is a rare find. If you need a GI doctor, don't waste your time looking any further. She's the one you want.

July 27th, 2009
Would have liked her better if she hadn't dropped my insurance and left me stranded without a doctor.

January 27th, 2009
Dr Gitlin has a wonderful bedside manner. I never feel rushed, she explains things to me, and is just very down to earth. Her nurse is a little abrupt, almost cold in personality.

December 12th, 2008