Dr. Laura Shelton Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Laura Shelton?

May 18th, 2016

Be Cautious with Dr. Shelton and Ob/Gyn Associates

I have never written any sort of review on the internet before, for anything, but I am so appalled by my experience with this doctor and practice that I must share. I am offended, dumbfounded, humiliated, and determined to reach as many expecting women in the greater Corpus Christi area with my story as possible. I would not want anyone else to be treated the way that I was. I only had one initial OB appointment with Dr. Shelton. I came prepared with questions that an informed patient would ask. Examples of questions that I asked her included her C-section rate vs. the hospital C-section rate and her position on things like induction, episiotomies, and other interventions. I was early for my appointment, polite to all office staff (despite their inability to find my medical records after they had been sent repeatedly and after the office staff had promised me they would personally retrieve them in time for my appointment with Dr. Shelton), and respectful to Dr. Shelton. She did not give me any indication that she did not plan on seeing me again during my appointment and sent me to get bloodwork and to schedule my next appointment. You can imagine my surprise, then, when I received a patient dismissal letter two days via certified mail banning me from seeing any of the seven physicians at the practice, forever. The letter did not explain why I was being dismissed and I had to call to find out. The nurse's answer was vague and did not come close to any of the reasons that doctors might dismiss patients (repeated missed appointments, refusal to pay, violence, non-compliance with treatment, etc.). The nurse did tell me that all of the doctors at the practice agreed with Dr. Shelton's decision. I must say, I have a very hard time believing that seven busy doctors convened to discuss me after my appointment was over at 3pm in time for a letter to go out by 5pm, when it took just one doctor (Dr. Shelton) two solid days just to review my chart and decide whether she wanted to take me on as a patient in the beginning, but I digress. I have shared this experience with a maternal fetal medicine specialist who was in practice for 20 years, an OB/GYN nurse, and many others, and all agree that the patient dismissal letter was totally unmerited and inappropriate. I was urged by more than one person to file a formal complaint, and despite the practice thinking they have covered themselves by sending me a formal letter, some light research tells me that this may qualify as "patient abandonment" due to the lack of discussion and information regarding the dismissal. No one I confided in has any idea as to why they would take such extreme measures against me. One guess is that they practice coercive medicine and they don't appreciate educated patients who they don't feel they can control and who question their practices. Regardless of the reason, clearly they are not hurting for patients if they so readily get rid of them. Not that I would want to return to this practice, but the fact that they won't take me does impact me and my unborn baby. They effectively eliminated seven physicians who my insurance participates with and who practice in the hospital that I plan to deliver in. Even many years from now, even if there were to be a complete turnover of doctors at the practice, I could not attempt to receive care from them because I have been banned from the practice itself. You will ultimately have to be the judge of this doctor and practice yourself, but if you do decide to select them as your healthcare providers, I would not get too attached.

March 2nd, 2015

Superb!

Wonderful doctor!

September 11th, 2012

Wonderful

She is a wonderful wonderful Dr. I switched to her after Dr. Canterbury no longer took my insurance. She is up to speed on the latest technology, and practices. Always takes her time with me. Always get a return call if I call in for any reason. She is AMAZING! Never awkward, always patient, and kind. And she has always looked put together as long as I have gone to her 2010- present...(How silly for anyone to even care :) )

October 6th, 2010

sloppy,slovenly totally not professional in appearance

October 11th, 2008

Laura is wonderful!

She has been a blessing from above. Far beyond the best doctor I've ever had.

September 3rd, 2008

Excellent Practice

She is an excellent doctor. Would recommend everyone in that practice to anybody. They are very professional and knowledgable.

April 24th, 2017