Dr. Laurence Higgins, MD
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Made a BIG mistake show details Made a BIG mistake
by kieth on Aug 29th, 2016

I'ma 57 years old phd mathematician in Amherst university, I went to Dr. higgins for left shoulder pain impingement back in 2012 and since then he has done 3 surgeries on me and all failed. Now I have pain and limitation more than ever. My rotatorcuff suparspinatus and infraspinatus is ruined and the failed biceps tenodesis has completely deformed my arm. I spend so much time in the waiting rooms past 4 years with him and months and months of PT all gone to waste I feel sad and regretful. If you want to see an orthopedic surgeon do in depth research and don't fall for the appearance and the show they put on to get you in the surgery room. GOD BLESS

Rude and Condecending oh ya 3 hours late too show details Rude and Condecending oh ya 3 hours late too
Aug 26th, 2016

His PA was fantastic but after waiting for 3 hours to see him he was very brief, Condecending and rude. Decided to go to someone I trust as I don't trust him.

Mixed Reviews show details Mixed Reviews
Jun 17th, 2016

Waited over 3 hours to be seen!! Saw his assistant who then acted as if she was reading my paperwork, yet then continued to ask me the same questions (an obvious stall tactic) Poor bedside manners by all staff at the Chestnut Hill location. Dr. Higgins was knowledgeable, and pleasant once I saw him. Reluctantly I booked surgery with him anyways based on the fact that I'd prefer expertise over manners for this surgery.

BAD Doctor show details BAD Doctor
by Mr. Phil on Apr 15th, 2016

Dr. Higgins was constantly late for my appointments with no explanations. Never returned my phone calls until weeks after. Always saw an intern and not Dr. Higgins. He was over two (2) hours late the day of my surgery. Wanted to do another procedure after the one he performed did not rid me of my pain. I would never go to this SELF CENTER Doctor again...

Definitely disappointed! show details Definitely disappointed!
Apr 29th, 2015

After waiting over a month to see Dr. Higgins for shoulder pain he was an hour late for the appointment (no apologies) and he sent his "fellow" in first who was so arrogant and condescending ;I was speechless. All swagger--no people skills. Higgins himself was fine; but that's about it.

Too busy for in-depth care pre and post surgery. show details Too busy for in-depth care pre and post surgery.
Feb 11th, 2015

Definitely felt like a number. You only see Dr. Higgins every 2nd or 3rd visit. Obviously he has a busy practice and has no problem letting his assistants let you know that every chance they get.

Jul 8th, 2014

Dr Higgins has done both shoulders and I cannot recommend him highly enough

Jun 24th, 2012

Dr Higgins is one of the most skillful, dedicated, and compassionate doctors I know. The waiting time is sometimes long, but it is only because he takes the time he needs with you. He also has an extremely busy practice, and that says something about his skills as a doctor.

One in a Million show details One in a Million
May 7th, 2012

I was afraid to have a shoulder replacement. When I met Dr. Higgins I was instantly confident he would make it better. Not only did he make it better but he did it with kindness and patience which is an unusual quality in Surgeons today. He gives his time and shows he cares. He will be my Surgeon forever.

Mar 25th, 2012

Dr Higgins is one of the most knowledgeablem sjillful, and caring doctors I have ever known. He is an amazing doctor. He is an amazing person.

Absolutely the best! show details Absolutely the best!
Mar 13th, 2012

I visited Dr. Higgins for shoulder pain. My problem wasn't the most extensive, but he and his staff made me feel that fixing the problem was as important to them as if I'd still been the professional athlete I'd once been. He was sold to me by someone from Duke University as the best and that person was right. Arthoroscopy and the PT he recommended were spot-on. My fixed shoulder is better than the one I was born with. I have recommended him highly to others who have all raved about him as well.

Simply the best show details Simply the best
Oct 21st, 2011

After being operated on by supposed experts for my dislocating shoulder (4 failed sugeries at NWH, Baptist and MGH, Dr. Higgins performed a miracle and I am pain free and playing tennis again. He is kind, compassionate and truly cares about his patients. I have sent my family and friends and they all agree - he is a star.

Oct 5th, 2011

I've heard negative comments here and there about Dr. Higgins's manner, but I have found him an immensely engaging and concerned physician who's as happy as you are (well, couldn't be, not quite) that everything turned out spectacularly. A winning combination of art and science. I'd recommend him to ANYONE. So grateful for the availabilty of talent such as his in our city.

too busy for patients show details too busy for patients
Sep 24th, 2011

More interested in outcome tools and testing.I was ready to schedule surgery with him until I met him. Patient care does not seem to be his focus or priority anymore.

One shoulder down, one to go show details One shoulder down, one to go
Jun 29th, 2011

Dr. Higgins performed complicated shoulder replacement surgery I'd been waiting years for, because I hadn't trusted anyone enough to do it until I was referred to him. Seven weeks later I am pain free (from day one after surgery, actually)and well on my way to full use of my shoulder. As soon as this one is fully healed I'll be back for the second!

Apr 20th, 2009

Dr Higgins is very skilled, thorough and he takes his time with you. He is also a very caring doctor who shows great concern for how his patients recover.