Laurence D Higgins, MD
Brigham and Women's Hospital
75 Francis St
Boston, MA 02115
617-732-5322
Locations and availability (4)

• Currently 3.6206896551724 of 4 stars
  • Currently 3.7586206896552 of 4 stars
  • Currently 3.6206896551724 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Charles V. LoBue on Jul 21st, 2014

Dr. Higgins is amazing! From the first appointment he has been absolutly honest and skilled and a consumate professional in his handling of my shoulder and then my knee situations. I have always had the utmost respect for my Doctors at Brigham and Womens and Dr. Higgins is amoung their finest. The world needs more doctors like Dr. Higgins. God Bless him. Sincertely, Charlie LoBue

Jul 8th, 2014

Dr Higgins has done both shoulders and I cannot recommend him highly enough

|  First Visit with Doctor Higgins  |  show details
by Greg P. on Feb 24th, 2014

I have been dealing with a bad shoulder for about 4 years now. I have dislocated my shoulder 12-15 times and got a Bankart surgery over a year ago. My shoulder dislocated again and my previous surgeon wanted to do a revision and possibly the Laterjet procedure. I got a second opinion and saw Doctor Higgins to make sure I was making the best decision. Not only did he spend the time with me and look over everything, he explained all the possible outcomes and how he would complete each surgery. With no hard feelings I will be leaving my previous surgeon and getting the Laterjet procedure done with Doctor Higgins. I hurt this shoulder Wakeboarding and never expected to return to the sport but today I was told otherwise and that I would be 0.. P.S. I don't agree with the August review, I may have waited 40 minutes in the waiting room but I've been dealing with this pain for four years and would like to live the next 60 years with a pain-free shoulder.

|  EXCELLENT AND VERY PROFESSIONAL  |  show details
Nov 18th, 2012

I have to write in response to the attack on Dr Higgins professionalism from the August, 2012 review. This persons review was unfair and undeserving. This review stated that they were sent to another doctor who said their shoulder was too complicated of a repair. Now, Dr Higgins said the same thing. One of the best shoulder surgeon's in the country should be listened to. It seems he was very consistent with the first doctor. Seems like the consensus was that no one is comfortable operating on a complicated shoulder-why? They don't want to risk causing further injury-especially when there are nerves in the area. If you injure those nerves, then you have got problems. Dr Higgins is an excellent, skilled, compassionate, and professional surgeon who DOES NOT deserve reviews like the one submitted last August.By the way, Dr Higgins was not the only doctor who was uncomfortable operating on this person. His staff is also among the best in the country.

|  Professionalism Down the Toilet  |  show details
Aug 7th, 2012

I was sent to doctor higgins by my longtime orthopedic surgeon, who felt I needed a more complex surgery than he could be comfortable offering me. I got an appointment around mid February 2012. I did as he asked by getting an MRI. After the test, he had me come in to go over the results. He said they didn't get all the areas he wanted. Again another MRI ($250 a pop. I took until April to get this MRI and I was finally able to do a follow up appointment. During this appointment he wanted me to get a second opinion from another doctor not covered by my insurance. I paid for the visit trusting this was in my best interest. The doctor sent over his not agreeing with the dr higgins plan for surgery. Its now June! I have had a rotator cuff repair for almost a year and I am in constant pain. I call to book the surgery and they tell me I have to wait to hear from him. We will send a message. A week goes by, no call. I call again. Oh sorry he hasn't responded. I called every other day for the next 3 weeks. Poor office ladies had to deal with his lack of consideration and professionalism. Finally after almost a month of calling, the office lady says oh he said he doesn't want to do the surgery. I angerly said ok and hung up. The next day I thought I should call back for the reasoning since I have spent over 1000.00 to see this "awesome" doctor. Again, no return call. I call each day for a week. I missed a call from his fellow and in the voice mail all he said was the doctor did some deliberation and decided he doesn't want to do it. I couldn't even bear to call back as this is the biggest joke of a doctor and I didn't want to yell at someone else for the doctors doings. Don't waist your time. I have never seen such a crap show in my life. Would rather live in pain then get pulled through a doctor looking to make some extra money on numerous appointments and one who obviously doesn't take professionalism let a lone respect seriously. Sincerely a patient who will not be going back!

Jun 24th, 2012

Dr Higgins is one of the most skillful, dedicated, and compassionate doctors I know. The waiting time is sometimes long, but it is only because he takes the time he needs with you. He also has an extremely busy practice, and that says something about his skills as a doctor.

|  One in a Million  |  show details
May 7th, 2012

I was afraid to have a shoulder replacement. When I met Dr. Higgins I was instantly confident he would make it better. Not only did he make it better but he did it with kindness and patience which is an unusual quality in Surgeons today. He gives his time and shows he cares. He will be my Surgeon forever.

Mar 25th, 2012

Dr Higgins is one of the most knowledgeablem sjillful, and caring doctors I have ever known. He is an amazing doctor. He is an amazing person.

|  Absolutely the best!  |  show details
Mar 13th, 2012

I visited Dr. Higgins for shoulder pain. My problem wasn't the most extensive, but he and his staff made me feel that fixing the problem was as important to them as if I'd still been the professional athlete I'd once been. He was sold to me by someone from Duke University as the best and that person was right. Arthoroscopy and the PT he recommended were spot-on. My fixed shoulder is better than the one I was born with. I have recommended him highly to others who have all raved about him as well.

|  Simply the best  |  show details
Oct 21st, 2011

After being operated on by supposed experts for my dislocating shoulder (4 failed sugeries at NWH, Baptist and MGH, Dr. Higgins performed a miracle and I am pain free and playing tennis again. He is kind, compassionate and truly cares about his patients. I have sent my family and friends and they all agree - he is a star.

Oct 5th, 2011

I've heard negative comments here and there about Dr. Higgins's manner, but I have found him an immensely engaging and concerned physician who's as happy as you are (well, couldn't be, not quite) that everything turned out spectacularly. A winning combination of art and science. I'd recommend him to ANYONE. So grateful for the availabilty of talent such as his in our city.

|  too busy for patients  |  show details
Sep 24th, 2011

More interested in outcome tools and testing.I was ready to schedule surgery with him until I met him. Patient care does not seem to be his focus or priority anymore.

|  One shoulder down, one to go  |  show details
Jun 29th, 2011

Dr. Higgins performed complicated shoulder replacement surgery I'd been waiting years for, because I hadn't trusted anyone enough to do it until I was referred to him. Seven weeks later I am pain free (from day one after surgery, actually)and well on my way to full use of my shoulder. As soon as this one is fully healed I'll be back for the second!

|  An exceptional physician  |  show details
Apr 20th, 2011

Dr. Higgins is an exceptional surgeon and human being. Appointments run late because he will listen to you and does not hurry his patients if they have concerns. I never mind waiting because he has done this for me in great detail. You will never find a better physician for your shoulder. Jim McG

Apr 20th, 2009

Dr Higgins is very skilled, thorough and he takes his time with you. He is also a very caring doctor who shows great concern for how his patients recover.