Dr. Lawrence Bircoll, MD
Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore. Kudzu.
 |  Husbands surgery  |  show details
by Laurie Viar on Jun 3rd, 2014

Dr Bircoll is an amazing doctor. We met due to my husband Tom having severe pain and limited use with his right shoulder. Dr Bircoll has excellent bedside manner. He is very friendly and takes the time to answer your questions and to put your mind at ease. He takes the time to explain everything so that one can understand. It was decided to do shoulder replacement surgery on my husband. On May 21, 2014 Dr Bircoll performed the surgery at Eastside Hospital. After the surgery was completed Dr Bircoll came out to tell me everything went good and that Tom was in recovery. The next morning bright and early Dr Bircoll came in and checked on Tom. We have since seen Dr Bircoll twice since the surgery. We have always been seen very shortly usually within ten minutes for Dr Bircoll to see us. Dr Bircoll treats you like you are a good friend and or family and puts you totally at ease. I would highly recommend Dr Bircoll.

|  Retired Pension Consultant  |  show details
by Sandra C. King on Mar 18th, 2014

I just had rotator cuff surgery for my very severe shoulder problem. Dr. Lawrence Bircoll (who has been my doctor for over 10 years) did an outstanding job on this surgery.. The surgery was on 11/14/13 and I was just released from him as well as physical therapy. He did an excellent job. He and his staff are wonderful, and I highly recommend them.

|  My knee surgery experience  |  show details
by Joel M. on Mar 11th, 2014

I needed replacement of both knees. My right knee was done in late July and the left knee was replaced early in November. Dr. Bircoll spent a great deal of time ahead of the initial procedure explaining what I could experience. He covered in detail what the possible problems and what I could expect in discomfort and recovery. He made a point to inform me that a great deal of the final satisfaction I could expect had a great deal to do with the followup physical therapy. I had never had any kind of surgery before these proceedures, so it was very important that I had a clear picture of how the surgery and recovery process would occur. I went through the first surgery and follow up recovery was and pain was less than I had anticipated. My experience at Eastside Medical Center in Snellville was excellent. I had surgery on mid afternoon on Wednesday and was released from the hospital Friday afternoon. I went through in home physical therapy which started right after I got home and went on for about 2 weeks. Once the in home physical therapist felt I had progressed to a certain level flexibility, I started going to outpatient physical therapy. I was up on a walker right after surgery and progressed to walking with the aid of a cane in less than a week. I consulted with Dr. Bircoll and he told me that I would decide when we would proceed with the proceedure on the left knee. Even though my experience with the first knee had gone very well, Dr. Bircoll caustioned me that all surgeries were different. Actually the second surgery went just as well as the first and due to the fact that the hospital had moved on to a new post surgery protocol my recovery was actually faster. My overall experienc with Dr. Bircoll and his staff has been excellent and I would absolutely recommend him for your knee surgery.

|  Educator  |  show details
by Japaline Bryant on Jan 22nd, 2014

Dr. Bircoll performed 2 hip replacements for me. I think he is an excellent surgeon, great bedside manner, no nonsense and to the point. He is my go-to guy when it comes to orthopedic issues - if the problem is not his area of expertise, he will recommend which colleague I should see. I will continue to use him and will continue to recommend him to friends, relatives, and colleagues.

|  Don't Go There!  |  show details
by Mike,A. on Aug 18th, 2013

Had Surgery,Took out stitches,gave next appointment for follow up.The problem was he told my job tht i could go back to work without me being seen at tht next appointment.{go figure]I was still in pain and had numbness & tingling in surgery area.I was droped from insurance because of tht comment to insurance company.I have no money comming in so therefore i have to go back to work.I just pray tht i will be able to do my job function without making my healing just tht much harder.One of the staff is very Arrogant also and her name is Genie,its inpossible to hide what you are,so others will also agree with me iam sure.I dont push a pin,I do very hard work with my hands.Do yourself a favor and find youself a surgen who will care for your well being and staff alike.

Doctor's Response

It is unfortunate that you did not call my office and communicate that there was a problem with work. Doctor/patient communication is very important. We can not help with issues of which we are unaware. Please send your email address or phone number to our office so we can follow up with you.

|  Happy  |  show details
by allisonh on Jul 9th, 2013

I was seen by Dr. Bircoll three or four times for knee and shoulder problems. He did not start off discussing surgery, but did go with the conservative route of medication and phyisical therapy. When he did discuss surgery, he was very assuring that it would not be a big deal. He is an active guy and moves pretty quick, but I did feel that he took the time to understand my life and my struggles.

|  Meh  |  show details
by Jason B on Mar 9th, 2013

Decent enough fellow. The problem starts when you fill every exam room and clear them in 15 minutes. Mass produced medicine leaves allot of questions unanswered and allot of miscommunication for both parties. A two minute exam and medical decisions based on that two minutes is just not good medicine IMO. Maybe more a symptom of the times, than a judgement on the competency of this MD.

|  Knee Injury  |  show details
by Justawoman on Feb 15th, 2013

I saw this doctor for a second opinion. I have had 2 knee procedures prior to this visit. I brought him ultrasound and mri cds which he claims to not have the ability to upload and view. He did not listen to my complaints and stated my problem is arthritis. One of the past procedures I have was a allograft (cadaver ligament) placed. In his report he claims because of my scar placement that there was no way I could have had the procedure. Although I told him the scar has moved laterally because of scar tissue. In addition this poor excuse of a dr examed my knee and when I told him what he was doing was causing me discomfort he had the gall to at me and laugh and go on to say I would imagine so. Who does this to a patient. If your thinking about visiting this man I would run as fast as you can and find another physician that not only has the intelligence to diagnosis and treat you but actually cares for their patients.

Doctor's Response

We apologize for not meeting your expectations and appreciate your feedback. Would you please send your email address or phone number so we can follow up with you.

|  Completely missed not 1, but 2 meniscus tears.  |  show details
Nov 20th, 2011

I suspected my meniscus might have been torn. I was sent for a MRI. The MRI report did not show the tear, and Dr. Bircoll dismissed the possibility also. I'm so glad I listened to my body and went to another surgeon. New surgeon found not ONE but TWO tears in my meniscus and has since repaired them. AVOID!! AVOID!! AVOID!!

|  Sorry excuse for a doctor  |  show details
Oct 23rd, 2011

I have visited other Resurgens doctors who did a fantastic job. When I experienced chronic pain, I visited Bircoll who spent about 5 minutes with me, only to tell me that my shoes were the problem. I re-visited him again to discuss the continuing pain and he again dismissed me. I have since been diagnosed with RA and plan to file a formal complain with Resurgens on this "doctor". I do NOT recommend him for any type of patient and, after reading these reviews, hope that he is sanctioned in some way.

|  all but incompetent  |  show details
May 12th, 2011

I inherited Bircoll from a fine doctor who closed his practice.I was injured in a serious auto accident and he said he did not want to get involved,mis- diagnosed a torn bicep for bursitis and dismissed me out of hand.Returned to see a replacement doctor who correctly diagnosed me,also with resurgens and he all but called Bircoll an incompetent.He should lose his license in my opinion and resurgens does it self no service by associating with him.

|  sobeitnot  |  show details
Apr 26th, 2011

argumentative regarding pain felt of patient. No, you need to toughen up. Torn ACL is not that painful.Really!

|  Not so great  |  show details
by gsuslp on May 30th, 2008 on kudzu.com

I waited 75 minutes in waiting room to be seen by Dr. Bircoll for about 5 minutes as a new patient. His beside manner left much to be desired. He had no sympathy for my sports-related injury due to my excess weight. His lecture was condescending (as if I did't know my weight is a factor-I'm working out to lose weight!), dismissed the pain I was experiencing, and didn't provide any helpful advice (i.e., he criticized my shoes but didn't give me any guidance as to what to purchase - he said at my weight, I shouldn't expect to wear cute shoes). Came off as a complete jerk - he may be biased against overweight patients or maybe this is just his personality. I wouldn't recommend him to anyone though.

Read Full Review at kudzu.com