Endocrinologist, Diabetes & Metabolism

Video profile

KIND, COMPASSIONATE & PATIENT show details KIND, COMPASSIONATE & PATIENT
by Maureen Tracey on Dec 4th, 2015

It's taken me a while to sit down and write this review, but from seeing what some others have written, this is OBVIOUSLY LONG OVERDUE! Dr. Metchick cared for my Dad for many years, and according to my Dad, THE SUN ROSE AND SET WITH DR. Metchick! Being a Registered Nurse, and having spent my entire career in NYC, my expectations are VERY HIGH!! Rarely have I come across a physician down here in Florida that can even come CLOSE to what I'm used to in New York!! Perhaps that's not a very nice statement, but it's honest! The medical care pales in comparison with what we have up North! After having to move in with my parents (I came to visit for Christmas 2008, and in all good conscience couldn't leave bc they were both SO ill), and not of my own volition; the first few doctors appointments I accompanied my Dad to, I left infuriated, due to the incompetence! When we first went to Dr Metchick(he'd been going for years but it was my first time!) I was both shocked and pleasantly surprised! Here was a REAL DOCTOR!! Oh my!! This guy ACTUALLY KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT!!! HE SEEMED TO CARE ABOUT MY DAD!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? This was probably the third or fourth doc we'd been to and the FIRST to show signs of what I was used to!!! (In full disclosure there would be 2more.) Over the next 2 1/2 years until my Dad's passing, there were MANY visits with Dr. Metchick and Crystal, whom I must add is one of the BEST PA's I've ever met!! Her fund of knowledge is impressive, her bedside manner is incomparable! Also, Karen, another Nurse on staff whom I had many dealings with, bright, educational, and ever so helpful! Toward the end of my Dad's life, his health was poor and I needed a lot of assistance from Dr. Metchick and sometimes Crystal. Crystal always called me back, and I felt she always had my Dad's back! When I needed the Dr, he then would call, explain exactly what to do and how...and for that I will ALWAYS BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL!! After my Dad passed away, my Mother and I even received a sympathy card from Dr. Metchick and his staff...now THAT is truly going ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL!! That's just the kind of PHYSICIAN & MAN he is!

by Amy V on Oct 2nd, 2015

Fantastic doctor, PA and staff!

Great Endo show details Great Endo
by JR on Sep 30th, 2015

After seeing some of the negative reviews I just had to weigh in with an alternative view that lacks any bias. I am a male pharmaceutical rep and have called on and have known Dr Metchick professionally for over 10 years. He has never spoken or was paid by our company yet he has always welcomed me and my team into his offices without hesitation. As far as female reps, I have never seen him be anything but professional in his dealings with them and I see him about 25 times a year. He takes care of his patients like they were family. Sometimes scheduling goes longer than planned and he can't see you right away. But he is tending to his patients if they need addional time as he would do for you if your health was at risk. As far as missed appointments, by not informing staff that you can't be there, you are taking time away from patients awaiting openings to come up so they can get in to see Dr Metchick or Crystal. Almost all offices in Volusia county have missed appointment charges And by the way, Crystal Mead has years of experience as a Cardiovascular and Endocrinology Physician Asst

by Laruie Bailey on Sep 30th, 2015

Dr. Metchick is the type of doctor that seems to have gone by the wayside. Dr. Metchick has been my endocrinologist for appox. three years now and I always leave feeling that I am the only patient in his office. His demeanor and bed side manner is calm, caring positive and personal. I went in to get 4 biopsy's done on my neck and was a nervous wreck, by the time I was laying down ready to get the biopsy, the doctor and nurse had me laughing out loud. He is extremely intelligent, compassionate and caring, Dr. Metchick has my total loyalty as a patient and I would recommend him to anyone that needs a great doctor that takes time to listen, problem solve, is quick and efficient and really cares about you as a patient.

GREAT ENDOCRINOLOGIST! show details GREAT ENDOCRINOLOGIST!
by Jenna Kelly on Sep 28th, 2015

I have been going to Metchick for over 10 years. I have had type one diabetes since I was 3 years old, I am now 22. I started seeing him right as i was getting into middle school. I think he is great! He has not only seen me through my teen years with maintaining an ok but higher A1C (around a 8), but also saw me through a pregnancy. I have a 3 week old baby and Metchick made sure to see me once a week, himself (no physician assistants) because I was pregnant. He also gave me his personal cell phone number in case I had any questions and I texted him multiple times about my sugars and I always got a response. I had my baby labor day weekend and he still responded to my texts even though he was out of town. My A1C when I was pregnant stayed around a 6 or below thanks to his constant monitoring. The staff is always so friendly and they seem to always have the answers to my questions and get back to me the same day. I have never had a problem with money or him over charging me but that is probably because I cancel my appointments with plenty of notice. Plenty of offices charge fees for missed appointments it is just like if your late on a bill you get charged late fees. I think that is pretty understandable because your are taking time away from him and other patients that could have been seen. I would recommend him to anyone he has never done me wrong in anyway in over 10 years!

Sep 24th, 2015

Avoid this Bad doctor! He is money driven and an egomaniac. Watching his staff tip toe around him is uncomfortable. Watching him show off for pretty young pharmaceutical reps is like a Saturday night live skit, he's not real smooth,lol.He is all about volume of visits. Physicians Assistants seeing the majority of patients.He only writes for medications in which the pharmaceutical company PAYS him to be a speaker.He gives out your personal information for studies without your knowledge or permission.Office staff is unavailable when trying to contact them, yet they charge many many patients fees for rescheduling less than 24 hours before appointment. Even though they were unavailable and don't return messages. I have NEVER heard of an office dropping or releasing so many patients! My other doctors are also shocked by this. There aren't many options for endocrinologists in the Lake Mary Area so even being so bad he gets lots of patients by default. Do yourself a favor and drive a little distance and have a specialist in Endocrinology take care of your health. Unless you want to go see A physicians assistant most visits and a rude ,arrogant unprofessional Bad Doctor once a year? Do yourself a favor and go else ware.I promise at some point he will offend you, talk down to you, try and charge you an outrageous unwarranted fee and then drop you as a patient. Not just my experience but that of many. Stay away!

by Bernadette Hillyer on Jun 25th, 2015

Dr Lee after going for more than a year I have only seen once ! The staff is very nice and friendly ! Had to cancel withing their 24 hour period because of a migraine headache I had woke up with ...the continued to charge me a $30. 00 canceling fee ,but I am sorry if I knew that I was going to have a migraine and throwing up 24 hrs in advance I would have done this .They told me to write him a letter and then informed me that he blatantly said no . What the heck are wrong with Drs today ..they only care about their selves not about human beings .So be aware does he think I only have diabetes as a disease ...well I don't . I have all kinds of health problems ....don't say I didn't warn you . He is a very inconsiderate doctor if you ask me ,went there a year or longer and only seen the man once !! I would not recommend him to a dog ...sorry

Neglectful, abusive, and incompetent MD! show details Neglectful, abusive, and incompetent MD!
Apr 30th, 2015

I saw Dr. Metchick for post-thyroidectomy (due to thyroid cancer) management of hormone replacement. This physician has a severe "God-complex" and is not interested in anything the patient has to say. Dr. Metchick is not only extremely rude, but also incredibly incompetent (ie-he insisted that long term hypothyroidism could in no way contribute to mood instability). I am now 1 year out from thyroidectomy and my TSH is 11 thanks to his completely ignoring my presenting symptoms and insisting that I not be seen or have blood work more than once every 3 months. When I then presented with well documented metabolically induced mood instability, he first ignored me for 3 days after his PA called him concerned about my condition. When he did call, he yelled at me for 20 minutes about my behavior being innapropriate. when I explained that I could not control myself as a result of my hypothyroidism (which was confirmed by my long time therapist) and that I was scared and needed help, he continued to yell at me insisting that there was no possible connection between my mood instability (which wasn't present pre-thyroidectomy and immediately vanished with T3 therapy), and my thyroid levels. Obviously, the link between the 2 is well documented in the peer reviewed literature. He then discharged me from his practice in the midst of this crisis. Dr. Metchick placed not only myself but also my family in danger as a result of his negligence and incompetence. Do not allow this physician to abuse and neglect you, go elsewhere for your care!

Mar 23rd, 2014

He is the best doctor I have EVER seen. It bothers me to read the negative reviews due to MONEY! I have seen doctor Metchick for years and unfortunately lost my insurance about a year ago. His focus was my health NOT my money. He told me numerous times, not to worry about the money that we would figure it out. He set up a very reasonable payment plan and made sure each an every time I went in there that I was NEVER worried about the money and always focussed on my health. People who complain about him and money have it completely WORNG! He is truly the best, most compassionate doctor I have ever seen.

The staff is unprofessional. show details The staff is unprofessional.
Oct 12th, 2012

Dr. Metchick was more concerned at billing me the highest level office visit than anything else. The staff on the other hand is deplorable, rude, and unprofessional when I called to inquire about a billing question. For this I will never return and do not recommend the office to others.

Aug 28th, 2012

I just had a needle biopsy. I felt little discomfort and the procedure was fast! Dr.Metchick and his staff made me feel at ease and I was back to work in no time!

May 17th, 2012

I was really impressed by Dr. Metchick, his PA and his office staff . I was treated with great care for my thyroid problem.

the BEST! show details the BEST!
Mar 28th, 2012

Can't say enough about this doctor! Compassionate, caring, and thorough. Hope diabetes patients know how lucky they are to be in his care! Other doctors have not helped. THANKS DR. METCHICK!

Jan 18th, 2012

This was my first visit with Dr. Metchick, I thought he was absolutely awesome. Very relaxed atmosphere,very caring doctor. Office staff was excellent. I only wish I would have seen him 2 years ago. Highly recommend.

Money Grubber show details Money Grubber
Jan 11th, 2012

This doctor cares more about maximizing the amount of money he can get from the patient than the patient's needs. He will schedule 2 or 3 appts. with you instead of doing the work in 1 appt. so that he can bill you and your insurance as many times as possible. Avoid him unless you like wasting your time and money.

Great Review! show details Great Review!
by J. Dua on Sep 8th, 2011

I think Dr. Metchick is great. The office is clean and the staff is very nice. I went in for a biopsy on my thyroid last week and the nurse as well as my cousin held my hand; and Dr. Metchick was really patient with me. The procedure went well (didn't hurt much) and he gave me two hugs before I left the office. My follow up appointment went great as well. He sat and spoke with me regarding my health and answered ALL of my questions. He even offered to help in other health related areas in my life. I have only seen him three times but I truly believe that the first impression is a lasting one. As a patient I'm sure that I will learn more about him and establish an even better relationship in the future. Overall my experience has been great. Thank you and your office so much!

Aug 30th, 2011

I felt compelled to write after reading oter reviews. I have seen Dr. Metchick three times in the past 2 years. I have never felt more comfortable with a doctor or an office ever. I never wait for an appointment and never wait in the waiting room. Reading about money issues with other people only makes my recognize that people have no consideration for what it take to run a business. As a business owner myself I understand what it takes to run an effecient office. You will not find a better doctor or office!

Aug 12th, 2011

Requires double the number of appointments that are required. It can only be because he is fee hungry. Beware of excessive required appointments that are a waste of your time and money.

Money Over Patient Care show details Money Over Patient Care
Jul 12th, 2011

I went to Dr. Metchick for 3 years and was dropped over a $30 visit payment that was paid a week after the appointment.

Will not ever refer this doctor show details Will not ever refer this doctor
Jun 8th, 2011

Dr. Metchick is not passionate about his profession or his patients. His disregard for medically instructing patients on sample drugs should be reason enough to seek re-education. His unprofessional comments about diabetis and his over confidence of a surgical opportunity/procedure definitely shows where his heart rests...its unfortunate that his education was not sought with compassion about making a positive difference in the lives of others, but instead focus's on how great of a difference it can bring to his life monetarily.

Mar 1st, 2011

Saw Dr. Met chick for diagnosis and procedure, never again. All delegated to PA. In my opinion it was more about money than patient care. After a mix up of $30.00 they dropped me as a patient. Office help were very self righeous.

Terrible Bedside manner; no diagnosis show details Terrible Bedside manner; no diagnosis
Feb 5th, 2011

Consult visit was a waste of time. Within a 2-3 minutes Dr. Metchick said issue was all in my head. I cut the consult off at that point and left. Returned to my primary care physican, who dropped him from referals due to more than 3 complaints. The real medical condition was diagnosed by a skilled doctor. Office staff said the $340 cost would be billed in full. All doctors are called doctor no matter what their skill or success in getting their MD diploma.

Very Good show details Very Good
Dec 20th, 2010

I have been seeing Lee for several years now. He has been agressive in addressing my situation and has pushed the limits with getting my provider to do the same. He is the best im my mind. Highly reccomended!

Wonderful Doctor show details Wonderful Doctor
Jun 10th, 2010

Dr. Metchick is a wonderful doctor and I would recommend him to anyone. Although it took some time to get the initial appointment, he was well worth the wait and now I'm scheduled regularly with no problems. He has worked hard to help me and I currently drive across the state to see him because I would not want to try a different doctor closer to my (new) home.

Mrs show details Mrs
May 31st, 2010

after made appt 3 months in advance,whenI went to see the Doctor,I was seeing by the practitioner.I explained I was going to see a doctor not a nurse practitioner;he was upset with my request and mentioned in a bad temper that this was the way it was,sometime I will see him some time the nurse,,I do not need to continue with him;my insurance pays for a doctor and I want A DOCTOR,not an assistant!!

Apr 15th, 2010

I have seen many endocrinologists before and had the best experience with Dr. Metchick's office. His staff was curtious, polite, I didnt wait (I was early), we has professional and relaxed. The enitre experience was exceptional. I wish I had found him 10 years ago!!

May 22nd, 2009

staff are incredibly rude and uncaring

Thyroid patient show details Thyroid patient
Nov 5th, 2008

I think Dr.Metchick is the most compassionate doctor i have been to ever~His whols staff is great!!!I was a crying nervous wreck before my biopsy and he was so great at dealing with me,yet it was not pleasant(not due to him)it had to be done,and i fully trust him and would recommend him to anyone!

by Cindy on Nov 3rd, 2008

He is awesome!!! I would reccommend anybody to go to him!!!