Family Physicians

1818 Verdugo Blvd
Ste 108
Glendale, CA 91208
818-790-1145
Locations and availability (1)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Mature, Knowledgeable, Super Competent  |  show details
by Ignaz Semmelweis on Aug 18th, 2013

To A Mother and others: Like medical professionals everywhere these days, Dr. Watkins' staff has to do far too much with way too little. Understanding how to communicate better with support folk and cutting them a little slack can help them be at their stressed-out best. Could you sit behind a window all day dealing with anxious people in pain? I'd be a little edgy if that was my life day after day. Money: you were asking the doc to do a couple of things that could jeopardize his legal and professional status. Oversight's been tightening for years. What Dr. Watkins might have done informally for you years ago when docs were more in control of their professional lives might not be safe these days. Yeah, he could do it. And if there were any issues some would sue him. Not you of course. The others. I found Dr. Watkins' staff responsive, professional and supportive. Once I established a connection with them (asking their name with a genuine smile as you introduce yourself helps) they were fine. Sometimes I have to call them more than once to get a response. Sometimes people have to call me more than once to get a response. Dr. Watkins himself was the consummate pro. As a medical professional myself I appreciated his focus, precision and patience. He listened while I explained my 92yo fathers' history and needs, while explaining to me the tradeoffs one always has to make when making medical decisions and describing why he was doing what he wanted to do. He's clinical but remember he works all day with people in pain, keeping track of multiple cases, wrestling with recalcitrant and ever-more stingy insurance conglomerates just to get paid. No MD can survive all that without setting a brisk pace. And one doesn't master medicine without being a bit distracted at times. It's really overfocus on his work. I liked the guy. I'm probably going to take my 93yo mom there, too. The doc at the assisted living facility where they both live doesn't return my calls even though I have their medical power of attorney. Sometimes he doesn't bother to examine them before prescribing for them. I will name no names. Fortunately the nurse at the facility does a great job of finding workarounds and running interference but we needed a new primary. I'd recommend Dr. Watkins based on what I've seen so far. I'll let you know if things change.

|  Great doctor, terrible support staff  |  show details
by A Mother on Jul 9th, 2013

My interactions with the doctor have been good. He is straight to the point and helpful. His office staff, however, is rude, careless, and show no interest in caring for a patient's needs. Not to mention, they cost $20 PER PAGE they complete for disability. I had to pay $20 for my SDI paperwork and ANOTHER $20 for the paperwork for my work. Then, when I tried to ask a question because the paperwork was completed incorrectly, I got nothing but attitude. Every time I have dealt with them or see others dealing with them, they appear to treat patients as an inconvenience.

|  Only In It For The Money  |  show details
Jun 21st, 2012

Dr. Watkins has been my doctor since I was a little kid. Recently, I got to the point where I was too old to be on my father's health insurance anymore, and as a consequence, I no longer have insurance. I also recently totaled my car and can no longer get to the office without renting a car.Dr. Watkins became upset with me when I asked him for counsel over the phone, because I wasn't coming in and paying for an office visit. Later, when I called asking for a prescription for antibiotics, for a problem he has already treated me for in the past, he didn't even return my call.

|  Good doctor. Terrible staff  |  show details
Mar 1st, 2012

I got right in to see Dr. Watkins. He spent time with me and explained everything. However, the office staff is rude and unfriendly. I would recommend Dr. Watkins.