Dr. Peter Varriale MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

April 22nd, 2016
Top Knee Sports MD
I have seen Dr. Leo Varriale for over ten years. He has "cleaned" out both of my knees and I can now play golf without pain. His approach is physical therapy BEFORE any operation. His approach is always calm and assuring. I would recommend this MD for anyone with knee or shoulder problems and is a sports active individual. Thank you Dr Varriale for making my retired life enjoyable!

January 18th, 2016
Poor follow up
I was passed off to the PA to discuss follow up and MRI results. He was completely unfamiliar with me, my medical history and was quick to dismiss me when I questioned his lack of thoroughness. I would not recommend this practice to anyone.

October 8th, 2015
Never again
This dr gave a wrong diagnosis was impatient And had a very bad bedside manner. His bad day reflected on my examination. He even yelled at me a few times and hurt me during His examination which he said he did not examine me.

February 2nd, 2012
This is an IME Doctor working for insurance company
The inaccuracies of the report Dr. Varriale filed with the insurance company were horrifying to say the least. The report did not reflect the examination inself nor the information I provided to the doctor. For a doctor to state that a patient "is not in pain" when the patient clearly states the areas of pain prior to and during the examination, is absurd. This coming from a patient who is scheduled for surgery for a tear in the shoulder. Along with test results, MRI reports and the findings of several other medical doctors, there is more than sufficient documentation to show that Dr. Varriale made his inaccurate statements to stay in good standing with the insurance company that employed him to do the examination.

January 9th, 2012
Awesome Doctor
After sustaining my injury I couldn't have asked for a better,more courteous Dr.. My insurance co. allowed me to ask for second and third opinions and after consulting "top surgeons in N.Y." they not only concluded with Dr. Varriale but differed to him. Plus all of them said that he was and is a great surgeon. I couldn't have asked for a BETTER dR.

April 21st, 2011
Longtime Patient:
I've had 9 surgeries. 4 on the L/shoulder, 4 on the L/Knee and 1 on the R/knee. Dr. Varriale has done all of them. After each surgery the recovery time was exactly what Dr. Varriale said it would be. He's not only a great surgeon he's a great guy, a friend. Always takes the time no matter how long and listens to my current complaints. I would never ever consider going to anyone else. He's the very BEST!!!

December 31st, 2010
Horrible!!!
I was scheduled an appointment with the Dr. Varriale by an insurance company that wanted to see if I had sustained any permanent damage from a car accident that broke my hand and nearly severed my thumb. I work with my hands for a living and was barely able to get back to work a year after my accident and I still deal with a ton of pain. I was excited for him to see me because my injury was so obvious and I hoped that he could offer some options for me. Instead he asked me three questions: 1. Are you working? Yes. 2. Do you take pain medications? No. I don't take pain meds because of major sensitivity to medication, however, I do treat my pain through other therapies that he didn't want to know about. 3. Do you see an occupational therapist? No because she told me there was nothing else she could do and my job would provide all of the strengthening I could handle. That was it. He immediately dismissed me without any exam whatsoever. When I asked if we could talk a little more he told me no because this exam was for the insurance company and we needed no further discussion. As I tried to talk to him he walked away mumbling something about me being from California and I should "know about no fault insurance". When I told him I was from the midwest, he turned around and said he saw my ID, insinuating I was lying to him. He needed to look again because I'm definitely not from CA. My insurance claim was denied due to a complete fabrication from this doctor. It stated that he performed a complete physical exam and I am completely normal and need no further medical assistance...which is a complete lie. He never examined anything other than glancing at my hand that had been broken. My entire life has been altered by this accident and this man was not interested in doing his job. He's just interested in a bigger payout from the insurance company, so they don't have to take responsibility for their client's mistake.

November 15th, 2010
Best Knee Doctor for Arthroscpic Surgery! Great Results!!
Would always recommend him.

October 3rd, 2010
My overall experience with Dr. Varriale was Excellent! He took the time to explain to me what was wrong with my knee. After seeing him,I felt he diagnosed my problem accurately. He is a conservative Dr. and will not operate on you unless it is really necessary. I have gone to other Orthopedic Surgeons but he is the Best by far. I highly recommend him.

June 27th, 2009
Questionable Behavior!!!
Had 2 examinations done by this doctor. Initially when I saw him, I had brought a 2pg list of various issues I have been dealing with since my accident 2 yrs ago. I told him it was far easier to read my document then for me to recall every issue occurring over the last 2 years. He barely looked over my list, truthfully I dont think he ever gave it a second look. Both visits I have had w/him, I videoed. After my last examine done by him, he declared my fracture healed, that a sprain had been resolved and a back sprain also being resolved.Reviewing my video, I clearly have captured that at no time during the exam did he look at or even touch my back So how he came to these conclusions astonish me. Regarding the sprains, their were no exams nor tests done to even confer these sprains for which I still suffer from.My astonishment is how can one come to these conclusion without tests or physical exams of the affected areas??????