Internist, Rheumatologist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

|  show details
May 15th, 2013

Oh my! I agree that Dr. Calabrese can be intense but he is a very dedicated clinician. I was diagnosed with CFS by the old criteria by him. I was very frightened at the time because I knew I was very sick and I had small children to raise. He was friendly and supportive. He also was supportive of me to the many doubting physicians that I was dealing with at the time. They couldn't exactly tell me that I didn't know what I was talking about when someone of his calibre confirmed that I was knowledgable about my illness.

|  show details
May 1st, 2011

Not worth the trip. Very arrogant and has learned to cut corners with patients who he or med records have deemed depressed. To him it's probably time management and too much belief in doctors, to his patients it is their life. Since I have seen him, I have had several severe problems with auto immune that has effected my life. This could have been different for me and my family, had he used all of his top rate educational knowledge instead of his arrogance. He also degraded other doctors whom I dealt with back home who were outstanding physicians and very reputable Rhuematologists. Not worth it at all. Mayo is better.

|  Big Difference!  |  show details
Mar 14th, 2011

I have seen Dr. Calabrese since 2004, he is always caring & concerned for my health. While he can be a bit dry at first I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend him to a friend.

|  Giant Ego  |  show details
Feb 11th, 2011

My personal experience with this doctor could not have been worse. While Dr. Calabrese's speciality is rheumatology he is also well known and respected as a doctor of HIV/AIDS. I was referred to Dr. Calabrese by a local psychologist for a second opinion related to unabated fatigue and great difficulty maintaining compliance with my HIV medications. When I arrived at Dr. C's office he had his resident do a thorough assessment of me while he sat nearby. I clearly stated my reason for seeking out Dr. Calabrese. I WAS THERE FOR A SECOND OPINION R/T MY SEVERE FATIGUE THAT WAS BEING AGGRAVATED BY MY HIV MEDICATIONS. I FELT THAT MY QUALITY OF LIFE WAS POOR. Dr. C. with his ugly ass and sexually frustrated self, scoffed at the reddened areas on my knees from kneeling in a bathhouse sauna while giving a blow-job. (I didn't tell him what they were from but he had obviously made a good guess.) Such things these grand doctors must endure! Do you think that maybe he could have considered that the great energy I had reserved for bathhouse was, at least in part, due to a life of less healthier options? Dr. C. summarily dismissed me telling me to make a follow-up appointment. He never addressed the issue of my fatigue or the fact that I had come for a second opinion! He egotistically made the presumption that he was now my doctor. So full of himself, and perplexed by his own complexes, he needed no basis in reality for his presumption and his refusal to even attempt to address my major concerns. The psychologist who had referred me to Dr. C had not bothered to tell me, if he knew, that Dr. Calabrese was also considered to be an expert in the area of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). At the time, I myself knew little about CFS.Several years later while studying CFS I came to learn that I fit the diagnostic criteria for CFS. During further research into CFS, I discovered a video presentation of Dr. C imparting his expert analysis of this confounding syndrome. He apparently believed quite erroneously that CFS effects a much smaller subset of the general population than the closely related disease of fibromyalgia. CFS and fibromyalgia are both hot research subjects today. Fast-forward a couple more years to today,Newsflash: There are now biomarkers that clearly distinguish CFS from major depression and other diseases with similar presentations. These same bio-markers demonstrate a close relationship between fibromyalgia and CFS. These biomarkers are even able to distinguish between mild, moderate, and severe cases of CFS and fibromyalgia. These findings are in stark contrast to the expert analysis of Dr. C. His giant ego leaves all of his work flawed, incompetent, and without insight or imagination. I have little doubt that when the CFS bio-markers become widely available, my case will fall within the range of mild to moderate CFS. In conclusion I would personally like to thank Dr. C for being completely incapable of acknowledging the facts on the table much less using them to help heal anyone.