Thoracic Surgeon, Surgeon
68th St
M-404
New York, NY 10065
212-746-5194
Locations and availability (1)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Best surgeon, best workmanship, period.  |  show details
by William B on Jul 4th, 2014

As my long-time cardiologist put it, the superiority of Dr. Girardi’s craftsmanship versus any other surgeon’s becomes increasingly evident with the passage of time. Ten years out you will be really glad that it’s his stitching inside. That makes him the one you really want, and I feel so fortunate that he took me on. I was his second operation of the day; it took him 6 hours and he finished at 7pm. Then at 7 am he was checking in on me with his entourage, and then off to his next morning surgery. He squeezes all his other appointments between his AM and PM surgeries time permitting and depending on how long they run. If you want someone who can indulge your calls during the day or hold your hand, he’s not for you. He’s not your cardiologist, not your ICU physician, not your GP. He’s the surgeon who will spend six hours straight each if necessary, every day, on two of the most fortunate individuals on the planet that day. If you want references for another accomplished area ivy-league-teaching surgeon who will spend more personalized time with you (my back-up if Girardi couldn’t take me) I can give you his name. You will be fine with that surgeon and any quality differences likely won’t be apparent for years. Leave Girardi’s limited surgery slots for those who really, really need and appreciate his workmanship a decade out. NYP also has the most thorough and attentive ICU physician (in the other 4th floor ICU) I have ever met anywhere, and if you need extensive post-op follow-up care, get yourself under her care. Leave Girardi free to do what he does best. Ask any lay-person who they would choose based on interviews, and they will likely say my alternate choice. Ask any cardiologist who they would have work on them, and they will likely say Girardi.

Jun 4th, 2014

I just had my valve replacement surgery done four weeks ago. I would like to share my experience with everyone because when deciding which surgeon to pick, this was one of the places where I myself came to get information. Here's what you need to know about Dr. Girardi: He is the best. I have asked many people, from former patients to people in the industry intimately familiar with Dr. Girardi's work. The answer was always the same: he is the best, if you need this type of surgery, there isn't anyone better. Open heart surgery is a dangerous endeavor and no one will give you any guarantees. But if you want someone who does 350 open heart surgeries every year and someone who has one of the best track records in the field - Dr. Girardi is your man. Dr. Girardi is, as you can imagine, a very busy man. So he will not spend 3 hours with you holding your hand. That said, my personal interactions with Dr. Girardi have always been positive, he makes you feel as much at ease as possible under the circumstances. He is also extremely knowledgable and will answer all your questions. I did not find him to be arrogant or heartless as other people here are saying. He is always business-like, but helpful and most importantly, he gives an impression of confidence and a feeling that you are in very capable hands. As far as post-surgery care, I found that the most critical part of it - when I was in the ICU - was very good. The annoying part for me about later being in the step down unit was having to share a room - but this situation is common in NYC hospitals - I think you only get your own room in less densely populated areas. I found the nursing staff to be for the most part professional, helpful and caring. As everywhere, there were a few nurses I felt could have done a better job, but overall my experience was pretty positive.

|  Glad to be Healed  |  show details
by MCB on Mar 25th, 2014

Dr. Girardi was an amazing surgeon and a compassionate person. I look at those who complain and its obvious they don't realize that heart surgery is dangerous and has risks. I would highly recommend Girardi for anyone taking on those risks.

|  Patient Beware -  |  show details
Mar 24th, 2014

If you don't have any complications, God Bless and you have a good experience. If, God forbid, there is a complication....you're screwed. The Dr. Girardi's staff will have you out that NY Presbyterian/Weill Cornell door so fast you're head will spin. Dr. Girardi will keep his personal distance from any possible "issue". His Staff is very obviously intimated by him to the detriment of patient care. Any surgical patient can experience complications. That in itself is not a reflection on the surgeon abilities. However, It's how those issues are addressed and treated that should be of great concern to anyone considering this type of surgery. (replacement of aortic valve). Be advised I wish I had taken more seriously some of the negative reviews here. I foolishy thought they were exagerations and that the complications mentioned were far and few between. Unfortunately I found this to be quite the opposite. I was lucky to have a very aggressive advocate help me through my recovery. Someone who very clearly saw that cardiac complications were dismissed and the issues I experienced minimized so as to facilitiate an expedited release. Again, it's how these complications are addressed rather than dismissed, that will effect the long term success of the surgery. Not just if you make it off the table.

|  NOT RECOMMENDED  |  show details
Mar 6th, 2014

Dr. Girardi replaced my moms aorta. A week later it was leaking in 2 places and had to open her up again. He is a liar. If theres a problem on the weekend forget about him seeing you. I tried to get him to call me, and got the run around, he never called. Mom was to have an ultra on her swollen arm and it was never done, he canceled it. When she went to rehab, they did the ultra sound and she had blood clots in her arm. There is more but I will stop here and let you deride if you want him as a surgeon or not.

|  Nightmare experience!  |  show details
by Heartbroken on Jul 20th, 2013

DO NOT LET THIS MAN TOUCH YOU. If you suffer a complication he will throw you out the door. This was my experience. WE FAILED TO HEED THE WARNINGS POSTED HERE and suffered the consequences. All though i am sad to hear that others have experienced the environment of intimidation perpetuated by Dr. Girardi I am glad in that I'm not the only one posting about it. It needs to be known. He intimidates his staff of doctors. They seem to put his reputation before proper patient care. There is apparently a reason he looks so good on paper. He seems to throw all of his complicated cases out the door! It's too late for my family. Im writing this in the hopes that i may save another person from having to endure a similar nightmare. He was arrogant and aggressive in nature, extremely condescending. And he left us devastated by his callous disposition, lack of professionalism and refusal to provide proper care. I am aware that complications may occur and that these complications may or may not be the result of surgery. However, when such complications arise they need to be addressed. Not swept under the rug in order to protect Dr. Girardi's policy's or reputation. Dr. Leonard Girardi of New York Presbyterian Weil Cornel Medical center Greenberg Pavillion 4th floor ( lest there be any doubt as to who I speak of). Left our family heartbroken and reeling. Don't be fooled by the hype. Read these reviews. Consider them carefully.

Mark as Helpful  | 14 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Jul 17th, 2013

What an amazing doctor and person! I am forever grateful for the recommendation to see Dr. Girardi. I had several doctor friends tell me that he is the only one they would ever let touch their heart, but we got opinions from other "top surgeons" in the area just to make sure. There was no comparison! His confidence and directness in telling me exactly what I needed to have done was such a relief. He treated us with respect and explained the surgery and clearly answered our questions about the risks. My husband and I both came away from the consultation feeling clear about what to do and I knew I was in good hands. In the hospital I saw so many doctors and nurses (it is a teaching hospital) but everyday like clockwork Dr. Girardi appeared at my bedside. I never doubted that he was in charge and directing my care down the smallest details. His staff were very helpful as well. When I came to post this I read some of the negative comments here, but based on my experience I am sure that they had the wrong doctor! I have the highest regard for Dr. Girardi and I will recommend him highly to anyone needing heart surgery.

Jun 7th, 2013

Had surgery last week. All went well. Yes - Dr. Girardi is not an exceptionally warm person, however, he is an excellent surgeon and that is what you want when you need this type of operation.

Jun 2nd, 2013

Stay away from this so called doctor, my father died in his care, the doctor never bother to call the familly uring my father treatment and after his death, he is cold, heartless ,

Mark as Helpful  | 10 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  Grateful  |  show details
by Louis S. on Feb 25th, 2013

Feb.25,2013 This month on Feb.23, marked the second anniversary of my aortic valve replacement (Bovine)by Dr L. Girardi. I will be forever grateful for the great care I received from Dr.Girardi and his team. My wife V. also would like to thank the Cardiac Care unit for being so caring towards her as well during the time of my recovery in the Hospital.

Oct 15th, 2012

Based on my experience with this surgeon he does not take the time to form the level of rapport, accessibility or open communication necessary to deal with legitimate concerns considering very serious and potntially life threatening surgery. Obviously if the surgery goes well, the need for such open lines of communication and accessiblity does not pose a significant issue. However, if not, such a detached and inaccessible style can pose a major problem to a patient and his/her family who need an open line of communication, support as well as relevant information. So no matter how skilled a surgeon, if they do not display these empathic and accessible patient oriented traits during the initial consult, in my opinion if anything goes wrong it is quite likely that the detachment, distancing and lack of interaction will increase.

Mark as Helpful  | 13 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  Beyond surgical skill  |  show details
Sep 11th, 2012

Dr Girardi performed an Aortic Valve Replacement on me in 2007. The professionalism and personal care he gave proved to me that he is at the top of his profession. I am extremely grateful that hr was my surgeon.

|  He saved my mother's life when no one else could.  |  show details
Jun 9th, 2012

I only have the nighest praise for Dr. Girardi. He surrounds himself with the best staff and they are a remarkable team. No other surgeon would operate on Mom's complicated huge aortic aneurism. Dr. Girardi confidently told us the risks, but was ready to proceed if my mother wanted to. She did He is a miracle worker and I will always keep him in my prayers.

|  In memory of mom  |  show details
Dec 10th, 2011

My 67 year old mother had a heart valve replacement done by Dr. Girardi in February of 2011. After the surgery was complete, my brother and I got a quick phone call in the waiting room from the doctor telling us everything went fine. The following month and a half were the worst of my life to date, and the last for my mother. My complaint is not with Dr. Girardi's surgical expertise. My mother's surgery may have even been a success, but we will never know. In her case his surgical skills were of no value because she never got a chance to recover.My mother was given the drug amiodarone while in CCU recovering from her surgery. This drug damaged her lungs. Dr. Girardi and his staff downplayed my mom's complaints of breathing difficulty for at least a week, even going as far as to suggest it was her bad attitude that was making her recovery so difficult. Finally, they admitted to "a reaction" to amiodarone but repeatedly assured us that it was reversible. Dr. Girardi's nurse practitioners (who were the only ones from his office to communicate with me regarding my mom's condition), and basically anyone at Cornell Hospital connected with my mom's care, spent the next several weeks lying and covering up this one mistake. My mom ended up back on a breathing tube which started as a few days to "rest her lungs" and progressed to a trach that we were told would possibly need to stay in for several months with a slow weaning process. We were always assured that she would make a full recovery and be able to wean off the breathing machine. This is not what my mother would have wished for if given the choice. These people accused my mother of being depressed when, after waking up from a week sedated on the ventilator to find herself on a breathing machine with a trach tube sewn in her neck, she asked them to let her die and be with Jesus. That was not depression, it was her wishes! Which they ignored so they could ship her off to "rehab" in NJ(where we live)- they said to be weaned off the machine- but as it turned out it was to die. She was sent on a 2 hour ambulance ride, unsedated and scared, gagging on the trach with her breathing machine on minimal support settings. As soon as she got to rehab, they turned it up to 100% support and even then she was struggling. The morning after her move, the doctor in rehab told us the truth. Lung damage like mom's is usually NOT reversible. Even if she could survive, she would never come off the breathing machine. That same night, my mother's oxygen levels went dangerously low and her brain was damaged. It took a week for her poor, brain dead body to fight that awful machine and finally let go. My mom spent her last days suffering at the hands of this uncaring doctor and his uncaring staff. The way they handled her complications was unforgivable. They acted in their own best interest with little to no care for the wishes or well being of their patient, my mother. A quick google search will tell you that amiodarone lung toxicity is almost always fatal. I am all for the power of positive thinking, but I think it is incredibly irresponsible for a doctor to give false hope to a patient or family member. I repeatedly asked for the truth and was constantly fed lies. I can't bring my mother back, but I can and will warn people about the uncaring practices of this doctor and his staff.

Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
 |  I will not recommend this doctor to anyone  |  show details
Nov 27th, 2011

My 30 year old son had a aortic valve replacement in 2010.We saw this doctoronly twice before surgery for 15 minutes and on second day after surgery for 3 minutes.He did not even came out after surgery to tell us how it went, only called. But it would not be a problem if operation would fix whathe came there for.Instead my son was discharged with a blocked heart , which means his heart lost proper conductivity during surgery and now he cannot walk fast or execercise like all young people do. There is no reason why it should have happened, unless Dr Girardi was not at his best and totally screwed up my son's life!

by Sara Di Gennaro on Mar 22nd, 2011

Had two valves relaced by Dr, Gerardi back in October of last year Mitral & Aorta He was wonderful, caring answered all questions always available took time to listen I would recommend him to everyone Great Doctor Wonderful bedside mannerI love you Dr. Gerardi

Jan 20th, 2011

Dr. Girardi was terrific. He diagnosed my issue (Bicuspid valve, ascending aortic aneurysm) quickly and explained it's origin (congenital) in simple language. My aneurysm was 5.2cm at diagnosis which required immediate surgery. Dr. Girardi replaced my valve (Bovine) and cut out the aneurysm and replaced that with a dacron graft. After the surgery i saw him every day i was in the hospital. He took the time to answer all my questions and concerns. I recommend Dr. Girardi enthusiastically.

Dec 8th, 2010

i had a aortic valve replacement sept 2010, and i can not speak highly enough of Dr. Girardi and his staff.

|  Best Heart Surgeon in World In My Opinion  |  show details
Nov 10th, 2010

There aren't words to express how awesome I believe Dr. Girardi and his entire staff were. From the office staff to the surgical team to the ICU staff and then stepdown. I had an aortic aneurysm that needed repairing and from the diagnosis point until now, I just got home a few days ago, I can't tell you how much confidence he inspired and what a great job he did for me. I can't imagine there being a more dedicated and skilled surgeon out there.I give him the highest recommendation.Good luck to you and get well soon.

Sep 16th, 2010

He is a genius...he performed open heart surgery on my 85 year old Mom to successfully repair her mitral valve. She had been told by other doctors the surgery would not work for her. He is kind and really takes time to listen to his patients. Several times during her appointments, he encouraged my Mom to ask questions and he really listened to her answers. As in demand as he is, she never felt rushed and he kept us fully informed throughout the entire process. He made himself available to speak with us at any time. He is an exceptional person.

|  Highly Skilled Thoracic Surgeon  |  show details
by AN on Sep 2nd, 2009

The surgeon you need if you have complex multiple problems in the heart and thoracic aorta. Quietly confident, yet factual, he explains the problem and the reasons for many of his decisions after the surgery. If you are technically inclined or in the field yourself get ready for a crisp summary. Personally, I liked his "short courses".