Dr. Leor Matalon MD Patient Reviews

3.0

• Good
  • Bad

September 23rd, 2016
I have parented a number of kids over the years, most of whom have had mental health issues, all products of the child welfare system. Needless to say I have worked with a number of psychiatrists - at least a dozen even bringing in one of the best names in child psychiatry from Colorado at one point to see all of San Diego Counties adopted high risk children. My experience with Dr. Matalon has been excellent, and his treatment of my 17 year old male child is the only reason the child has not been in a mental hospital or had to be placed in a group home. He is very understanding, non judgmental but can also be firm with the kids as needed. We ran across him at a time when we were with another psychiatrist where the kids were really struggling and he came recommended via the PERT (psychiatric emergency response team who accompany the police on mental health calls with out of control minors. In addition, he was recommended as well as by an associate of my daughter who is a psychiatrist in northern California at Stanford University. He accepts many insurances and is excellent with children. I think the thing I appreciate the most is that instead of just adding more milligrams of the same medication if we are struggling (and during puberty with hormonal changes and growth spurts a difficult time for any type of medications) he isnt afraid to make a change and try something new to try and help a child who is struggling. He can see the diamond in the ruff and wants to polish them till they shine!

March 10th, 2016
Horrible experience with Dr Matalon. We were already looking for a new psychiatrist but continued sering Dr Matalon so my daughters medication doesn't lapse. Dr Matalon should not be around children. He is nasty, and rude. He did nothing to make myself or my daughter feel comfortable. When my young child needed a diaper, the dr insisted I take him and we wait in the car for my daughter. He said he'd call me with any questions but did not. Instead he grilled my 14 year old for answer to questions that should've been posed to me. He did not allow me and my youngest to wait in the waiting room, instead insisted we wait in the car. It was demeaning, and rude to myself and both of my children. I would t recommend Dr Matalon to my worst enemy.

December 18th, 2015
Damage to Labeling and stereotyping: how dare does a psychiatrist tells a 12 year old .. "you have autistic features" and leaves a child with such a thought on his mind and to make it worse on his very furs appointment ??? are you kidding me ? does not even take the time to get to know the cld and jumps to such conclusion? everything about this "Dr"s" practice is a nightmare form the moment you call ( if you lucky to get an answer) to the moment you get there !! I won't recommend this Psychiatrist to my worse enemy !!!
First time=First impressions! a very rigid, anal office procedure to set up and confirm an appointment.

July 2nd, 2015
Expect to wait
We came to our first visit and had to wait 45 minutes. As another client went in, she said "he's been late every time I've come, just so you know."

July 2nd, 2015
My son had been to several different doctors and Dr Matalon has been the best. He is very good at working with children and was he was the first doctor to finally diagnose my son with the correct diagnosis. I trust him 100%.

February 14th, 2015
United States Marine
I have had only one meeting with Dr. Matalon, so I will review that and the results of said meeting. Almost 3 weeks ago met the Doctor and we discussed my lengthy physical and pharmacological history. Being 47 years old that history is extensive, including Severe Depression, Panic Disorders, PTSD, Bi-polar tendencies, and Black outs. Considering I have a Masters in Psychology and consider myself better read on current medication studies he was very patient and knew just how to communicate with me so that I could HEAR what he was saying. He educated me (not an easy thing ;), gave me confidence in his diagnosis and plan of treatment. He answered every question factually (and I had a million). He ramped up my new meds incredibly slowly starting at half the lowest dose available to minimize side effects. 2 1/2 weeks later I already see positive changes. I will keep all posted.

July 29th, 2014
Foster Kids deserve better!
This guy is a "pill mill" for foster children. Never saw him for more than about 15-minutes, got mad when I asked about a different kind of medication for my foster son, took phone calls from other patients while we were in his office. All he seems to want to do is write the next month's prescription and move on to the next patient. Foster kids deserve better.

July 6th, 2014
very rude dr. Argued with me about my child and made comments that attacked my parenting skills. does not return phone calls.

May 31st, 2014
Wort ever dr
Awful.

February 26th, 2014
OCD doctor
Dr. Leor Matalon would not begin the appointments without getting his copay.It wa all about money. He only takes cash. One visit I was in a pretty upset state due a recent death in the family. I did not have cash and he wouldn't take a check. He would not give me my prescription until I drove around a strange neighborhood looking for an ATM machine. When I came back I slid it under the door, but had to wait until he was finished with his patient to get my prescrpition. As I left I mumbled under my breath that this was ridiculous and that I hated the way he had treated me. The3 next week I got a certified letter telling me that he would no longer treat me. Wow, a doctor fired me! I have been to a LOT of doctors and have never had a difficulty with them, so I can assume that I am generally respectful and courtious. But I just could not deal with his OCD regarding money. Oh, and he usually didn't seem to have my chart and asked me what meds I was taking, etc. Things that he should have known after a year!

January 17th, 2014
Probably the WORST I've ever seen
Every visit felt like the first time with Dr. Matalon. He has the WORST chair-side manner of any psychiatrist I've ever seen. Every visit he would ask the same questions he asked the week before like he's never heard the answer before. After seeing him for 2 years he STILL can not remember our names. HIs phone rings incessantly during sessions (If I hear that super mario brothers theme again, I'm going to scream!). Top top it off, he looks up MAYBE 1 time during the entire session. The rest of the time his face is buried in his iPad. Stay far away from this doctor. He cares not for his patients and his demeanor shows it. We were demoted to 'walk-in only' because we missed 2 appointments in 2 years. During the last walk in, he told us we had to call his office to make an appointment??? Last I checked a WALK IN doesn't make an appointment ! Hopefully he reads these reviews and tries a little harder. I feel bad for patients that are with him. They are missing a level of care they should expect with a doctor that Dr. Matalon absolutely doesn't provide!

October 23rd, 2013
NOT RECOMMENDED!!!
Would NOT recommend for special needs children, let alone typical children!!!