Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Jun 8th, 2016

Lester removed my descending and sigmoid colons to eliminate excruciating pain from recurrent diverticulitis. There was a lesser but still debilitating pain post op. He prescribed a nerve drug that he had figured out was likely to ease the pain from what he figured were damaged nerves. He was dead on, and I am pain free for the first time in years.

Took his time, answered questions, & didn't push surgery show details Took his time, answered questions, & didn't push surgery
Feb 5th, 2016

I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Gottesman. He answered my questions, took his time to explain what I had and what my options were. He did not push surgery and left the choice in my hands with the pluses and minuses of each option. His staff was incredibly nice, spent time, and made the process more pleasant. I feel confident in the answers I was given and the course of action we decided on. I will go back to him if I have issues in the future and recommend him and his staff to others.

Jan 20th, 2016

This doctor hacked me on a simple procedure. I endured endless pain for four months which led to a second surgery (by another doctor) to correct the mistakes he made. My experience with him was horrible.

Wonderful physician show details Wonderful physician
by Phyllis Wheelan on Dec 8th, 2015

Dr. Gottesman is a remarkable physician and a lovely man. I would recommend him highly and without reservation

Wonderful Surgeon show details Wonderful Surgeon
by Phyllis W. on Aug 10th, 2015

I suffered from severe life-long constipation. No one but my family really believed how severe the problem was, despite bouts of septicemia and routine unbearable abdominal pain. I cannot recall any time in my life when I was not affected by this disorder. The doctor who performed a colonoscopy simply said my condition was 'unusual' and advised me not to undergo another colonoscopy for fear of perforating the intestine, which she described as very 'scarred.' Ultimately, a gastroenterologist referred me to Dr. Gottesman, who literally changed my life. He explained the underlying basis of the condition, which was the inability of the organ to engage in peristalsis, prohibiting the movement of material through the intestinal system. After I underwent thorough colo-rectal exams and pre-surgical tests, Dr. Gottesman performed a colectomy, removing a large part of the non-functioning intestine. You can't imagine the difference. Moreover, I am truly fond of Dr. Gottesman, who continues to follow my progress and is a charming man. The staff at reception are always very nice to me and, in fact, go out of their way to accommodate me. But all else aside, if you have problems relating to col-rectal issues, do yourself a favor and see Dr. Gottesman. He is a remarkable surgeon and a lovely man

Jul 12th, 2015

No bedside manner ... Nasty... My 10 minute colonoscopy lasted 30 minutes and I haven't been the same since ... No way to prove it's his fault but I know it is... His nurse is just as nasty as he is... Wouldnt perform a procedure and demanded payment right in front of all in the waiting room... Tried to discuss issues with him and he abruptly dismisses me...he needs to be shut down before someone gets hurt or worse!

Wonderful doctor show details Wonderful doctor
Mar 31st, 2015

Was very nice about giving appointment right away. His diagnosis perfect. He worked with me with getting the right medication. He returned all my calls promptly. Other doctors should follow his lead.

by joel g. on Jan 22nd, 2015

You won't find so much humanity in any other doctor. He goes above and beyond his duties, the lack of plaques in his office doesn't suggest that he isn't deserve it but rather it attest to his character.

Aug 5th, 2014

He has a smile on his face and a devil for a heart , The only positive reviews I can imagine come from his friends and family . The worse rush to judgment doctor , Who did reprehensible augmentation to my body and GI system . Who could care less how you feel as long as you're a lucrative patient well insured .

May 19th, 2014

Dr. Gottesman was knowledgable and effective.

Caring doctor show details Caring doctor
by M.Soussan on Feb 22nd, 2014

Having a range of experience with colorectal surgeons prior to being introduced to Dr. Gottesnman I have to say that he had by far been the most caring, understanding, and genuinely interested in recovery post-op. The others have been very curteous pre-op and then dismissive at a time when you need their help the most. I bery highly recommend him. HIs diagnoses have been more precise and his willingness to see me promptly when needed unmatched. WHen it comes to some of the most difficult type of operations give the chakra area involved in rectal surgery, Dr. Gottesnam has been a breath of fresh air. He makes one feels safe and he follows up regularly and just generally seems to really care about recovery. THis is an essential part of overcoming difficult times. I am grateful I was introduced to him through referral.

The Worst office experience of my life show details The Worst office experience of my life
by Jane on Feb 9th, 2013

Dr. Gottesman really needs to find his old staff from 59th Street!! Alicia and Danae were the best!!! They were friendly and always helpful. His Medical Assistant Stacey is the NASTIEST person you will ever come across. I believe when he disappeared for months it was more than a personal issue, he needs to find his old staff and beg them to come back, I would stay far away from him and his assistant

LaToya is nasty show details LaToya is nasty
Oct 11th, 2012

I recommend Dr Gottesman get a new front desk assistant because LaToya is nasty. Seems she believes she is doing you a great favor by speaking to you and answering your questions. She gets huffy and easily irritated if you ask her any questions other than simply giving your insurance or co-pay in person....or making a straightforward appointment by phone. G-d forbid you should ask a few questins or ask her to do something else....she actually makes exasperated sounds on the phone then puts you on hold for a long time if you ask her anything or make her do some extra work. I had her put me on speakerphone and then she continued to make rude sounds of exasperation a different time that I called...all because i wanted to know approximately how long my appointment would run....or the amount of time that was alloted for my appointment. so.....i would possibly go back to this dr if he hired new staff and showed that he cared more about providing quality service

Scary Surgeon show details Scary Surgeon
Jun 17th, 2011

I had a part of my large intestine removed because i was having constipation issues . I told Gottesman I was having spasms from a fall .I don't know how I ended up here . I found out later is was a lumbar sacral problems causing my GI dilemma not anything to do with the intestines . My neurosurgeon said it was a visceral effects of my nerves contracting causing my problem . So I had a misdiagnosed unwarranted resection on my colon about 4 feet . In addition I had a complex closure causing me to turn white due to ischemia post op , Please watch out for this guy .I now have to go to the bathroom numerous urgent times a day.

The Best show details The Best
Jan 14th, 2011

Dr. Gottesman is brilliant! He diagnosed and treated a problem that doctors in California were unable to understand.Prior to going back to New York for surgery, I spent months with California doctors running tests, with no conclusion.Dr. Gottesman reviewed the results of the tests and was able to understand the problem.

Overall, a very professional CRS show details Overall, a very professional CRS
by E. (Manhattan) on Dec 27th, 2010

I found Dr. Gottesman through reading online reviews of Manhattan colorectal surgeons. Dr. Gottesman is accurate in his diagnosis, quick to answer any questions you may have, and in my personal experience of having him treat an anal fistula over the course of several visits (including outpatient surgery at a nearby hospital), excellent at what he does. I do make the note that Dr. Gottesman may not take the time to chat with you about the weather or other trivial matters. If you have questions, come prepare to ask them because it is unlikely that the conversation will stumble over them. While Dr. G is very direct in his manner, he is of course still very caring about the health of his patients.Over the course of a few office visits, he diagnosed my anal fistula, determined where the tract lay, ran a draining seton through it which set for a few weeks before the final corrective surgery (endorectal flap advancement) that has solved the problem. I had two follow-up appointments to double-check everything was healing as it should have been.

One Life Changing regret ! show details One Life Changing regret !
Nov 5th, 2010

I've had several surgeries By Gottesman . All unwarranted During one he actually left on a vacation for several weeks I HAD to wait until he came back to get discharged . He doesn't hesitate to look at radiology reports and make you think it's do or die , Seems they're meaningless to him . With the vulgarity that spews from his mouth I should of known not to trust him !He rushes you in to surgery making you feel as if you don't get the procedure you'll end up worse , So untrue If I let him continue to recklessly take out intestines.I'd end up with a permanent colostomy bag Then he couldn't possibly get money from me or my insurance . It would totally be the end of his colo-rectal protocol ! Please get several opinions take my advise as a long term patient I wish I NEVER met Lester I cursed out the doctor who referred me to him as IF Lester was credible ,He's anything BUT! regardless of the hospitalsreputation ! PLEASE AVOID THIS DOCTORAT ALL COSTS!!! If I didn't get away from him I'd more than likely end up DEAD !

FOLLOW-UP show details FOLLOW-UP
by ANAL CANCER GUY on Sep 8th, 2010

THERE WERE NO FOLLOW-UP DOCTORS INSTRUCTIONS. NO FOLLOW-UP FROM OFFICE AS PROMISED. BAD EXPERIENCE.

If you need feedback from your doctor, avoid this one show details If you need feedback from your doctor, avoid this one
Feb 2nd, 2010

I found Dr Gottesman to be extremely passive in his care for me as a surgery patient. He showed up an hour and half late on the day of my surgery, and provided no reason why or apology. He clearly was more interested in getting out of the hospital the day he performed my surgery, then taking care of me. He put 3 stitches in a 3 inch surgical cut on me that looked like something out of a Tim Burton movie. I am having difficulty healing because of this, and am very apprehensive about seeing him again to get the problem fixed.His bedside manner is deplorable. I asked him if my procedure was simple and straightforward with little risk, and his response to me was "I hope so"If you are the type of person that needs feedback from your doctor so that you are as informed as possible about your health, this is NOT the doctor for you.

Mar 22nd, 2009

His assistants tend to be very nasty, but the receptionists are very nice. Another surgeon wanted me to do a major procedure in an OR, Dr. Gottesman was able to do an office based procedure and I was back to normal in a few days.

Mar 13th, 2009

Dr Gottesman and his staff were excellent from my first office visit, thru surgery and all my follow up visits. Dr Gottesman is a very caring and compasionate dr who takes the time to ensure his patient and patient's spouse understands all the pros and cons of what is to come. Dr Gottesman takes the time to answer all questions. He tells it like it is, no hidden punches and I appreciate this approach.