Orthopaedic Surgeon

3333 N Calvert St
Ste 400
Baltimore, MD 21218
410-554-2891
Locations and availability (4)

|  the best!  |  show details
Nov 27th, 2013

I went to multiple local orthopedists before I found Dr. Schon and decided to make the 8 hour drive to see him. Dr. Schon was able to offer a newer surgical procedure that no one in my area is performing. It took me just under 5 months to get in for an initial consult, but after that appointment, I knew I had made the right choice. I had to wait for a little while to see Dr. Schon, but it was well worth the wait. I think he spent at least 20 minutes with me at the initial appointment, going over diagnosis and all options. He seems to spend adequate time with all of his patients, even if it leaves him running a little behind. This is a positive and also a rarity for an orthopedist. I had surgery 2 weeks ago at Union Memorial Hospital, and the staff there were phenomenal. surgery went well, with Dr. Schon addressing the cartilage, bone, and ligament issues in full. The recovery is off to a good start. At the follow-up appointment, I got all of my questions answered and all I needed. In short, Dr. Schon is one of the best. He has great skill as a surgeon, very knowledgeable, and up on the current research. (and involved in a lot of research.) He also has an energetic personality, good sense of humor, and a genuine interest in his patients. As an added bonus, he has somewhat of a mad scientist looking going on, with a bow-tie and glasses and curly hair that sticks straight-up, My only gripe is administrative. I had a bit of a struggle to get the info I needed in my pre-surgery packet. It wasn't sent to me at the time I scheduled my surgery, so I ended up calling with a lot of questions (most of which were answered in the packet.) Also, no one mentioned pre-surgery bloodwork to me until I asked about it ('Are you sure I don't need a pre-op appointment for bloodwork or anything?'); this info is also in the packet which somehow did not get sent initially. the bloodwork instructions info was faxed to me at my request, when I still hadn't received it 3 weeks prior to surgery. After I still hadn't received pre-surgery instructions I called. These had actually been sent (after my 1st request) to the wrong address and returned to sender. But, after I called, they did fax these to me. It all worked out, but was just a little added stress to deal with. I don't know if this is a common occurrence with the office, or if perhaps staff were just under a lot of stress and these were a few unfortunate oversights. It happens sometimes.

|  The absolute BEST!!  |  show details
by Stephanie J. Brady on Oct 18th, 2013

Dr. Schon is absolutely the BEST orthopedic doctor that we have ever found!! My mom was on her 18th surgery. This was to be the 2nd on her foot & she needed someone to "fix" what a surgeon messed up last year when she broke her foot. My mom is 71 years old & also suffers from neuropathy. Although it took us almost 2 months just to get an initial appointment with Dr. Schon, he was fantastic. We brought my mom from WV to Baltimore just to see Dr. Schon. I had done a lot of research on orthopedic surgeons to make sure we had the "right" one for my mom this time, and Dr. Schon was it. He took great care of my mom & even spent a great deal of time making sure that my dad, my brother & myself knew what he did for my mom. I cannot say enough great things about Dr. Schon. I would take anyone to him who needs a good orthopedic surgeon.

|  great doctor, office staff make you want to go elsewhere  |  show details
Oct 14th, 2013

Dr. Schon came highly recommended, and he was definitely worth the 6 hour drive to Baltimore. He has excellent knowledge, experience, and ability to communicate. He is much more up to date on the latest techniques than the average surgeon. He truly seems to care and want to help. He spent 5 times the amount of time a typical ortho would spend in diagnosing my condition and discussing all treatment options. I feel that I am making the best choice going to him for surgery. His nurse, Davita, was also quite helpful and knowledgeable, very skilled in her job. That said, with only one exception, all of his administrative staff (whom I've had to interact with in person or on the phone) need some serious customer service training. Staff are very rude and abrupt on the phone, act like you are wasting their time. They keep trying to hang up on you without answering questions. They are not at all considerate of the needs of people coming from out of state to see Dr. Schon, needing to make plans, hotel reservations, time of work, FMLA, etc. I almost regret having this excellent doctor do my surgery, knowing that some of the money will trickle down to support staff who are so rude. But, then again, I would never pick a doctor based on support staff - particularly for a major surgery. So, I'll just put up with that like the rest of his satisfied patients.

|  Achilles tendon  |  show details
by Robert N. on Mar 26th, 2013

What Dr. Schon did for me was exactly what had to be done to restore mobility after an Achilles tendon ruptured (totally). Because of my age (76) and the fact that the rupture had occurred two months earlier, I had no great expectations; however Dr. Schon performed what to me seemed the impossible. I am now (six months after the operation) able to walk normally, and am planning a hike up Mount Washington, New Hampshire for this summer.

|  SIMPLY THE BEST!!!  |  show details
Aug 5th, 2012

Dr. Schon is simply the best!!!! Words cannot express my gratitude towards this man - a true Gd send with a very special talent and heart. My journey began with a doctor in NY who did a bilateral ankle surgery that should have never been preformed and it was done incorrectly. I was left in agony and unable to walk. Having gone all over NY to try to correct the problem and being turned away, one doctor led me to Dr. Schon after saying "I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole, but I know someone who will" and he then said "he's located in Baltimore and the trip to Baltimore will be well worth it." Dr. Schon saved me and put me back on my feet!!! His heart of gold, his caring and concern goes above and beyond the norm. His skill set, humility and kindness and compassion makes him one of a kind. Thank you doctor Schon from the bottom of my heart - you saved me and I will never forget all you've done for me. You have a very special place in my heart. For those of you out there who have been having a problem and are at a loss I highly suggest you take the trip to Baltimore to this wonderful down to earth very skilled physician who I am sure will change your life for the better. -HI

|  show details
Jun 7th, 2012

Dr. Schon is awesome. I have seen him for 2 different injuries in my ballet career. He and his team always gave excellent care.

|  Simply the best  |  show details
Jan 4th, 2012

I have seen Dr. Schon since 2003 as my foot doctor for complex foot problems (midfoot, toe, nerve damage). I am so fortunate to have found him after discouraging visits with other prominent foot specialists. We have managed my foot issues non-operatively, and surprisingly found topical medications (seethe Snyder Pain center-they compound medicines tailored to your needs) that help me immensely. I will ultimately need surgery and we follow together the updates in technologies that will be right for me when that time comes. The upgrades in techniques just in the last few years are exciting, and Dr. Schon is on the leading edge of developing those techniques and monitoring those literatures. His technical knowledge is matched by his warm personal style. He takes the time that is needed, and is a fantastic listener. He understood my frustrations with the approaches of other foot doctors and why their recommendations weren't right for me. When I had a separate orthopedic issue that was affecting my foot function, he speed dialed a close colleague during my appointment for a referral and some answers to questions that would help to determine the best referral. Amazing! He really seems to love what he does, even though he sees so many challenging problems. When I have mentioned him to other doctors on a couple of occasions, they know his reputation---one said "you can't get better than that."

|  This man is just purely amazing.  |  show details
Jun 21st, 2011

Dr. Schon has performed 3 out of 5 of my ankle surgeries. He is the 3rd orthopedic suegeon I have been to and I never want to deal with anyone else now. I am a very strange case, I have been told that I am record-book strange. My previous surgeon didn't want much to do with me, and the feeling was totally mutual after what he did. Dr. Schon does not stop working to help me. I have been seeing him for almost 3 years now and no matter how difficult or confusing my case gets, he works endlessly to exhaust all options to help me. He truly does care. I always wait for what seems like an eternity before I see him pop into my room. Although once he's there, he stays until he examines me, answers all questions, offers/helps narrow down solutions, tells me what to do until the next visit, and then does one final check to make sure I will be comfortable until my next visit. He's brilliant, compassionate, lighthearted, and caring. I wouldn't dare bother seeing another surgeon.

|  top notch  |  show details
by dawn winkler on Aug 24th, 2010

I can not thank Dr. Schon enough for the fantastic job he did on my foot and ankle. Everytime I see another orthopaedic dr and i tell them who worked on my foot they tell me i have a topnotch dr. they are not telling me something i don't already know. there are so many dr.'s that that admire his work. i was in wyoming and the dr. out there was getting one of dr Schon's students and he was so excited. he knew exactly what he was getting and happy about it also.I refer people all the time. he is one fantastic dr. he should be very proud to know that he is widely respected. i'm glad he was my doctor. thanks for everything.

|  show details
Jul 23rd, 2010

no nonsensesweet and caringvery good judgment with complicated overlapping problemsgood sense of humourterrific, in a worda doctor's doctorsome of the above questions have no relation to the quality of the MD. i.e. ease in getting an appt. the wait time in the office. I will wait to see the best.

|  The Best Foot-Ankle Doctor Ever  |  show details
May 28th, 2009

Dr. Schon is definitely one of the most professional and caring doctors that I have ever known. I am a sixteen-year-old ballet dancer, and about two years ago I sprained my ankle. I kept dancing on it (not realizing the damage done to my foot), and began to feel worsening pain. Even after visiting another doctor from Johns Hopkins, there was a lot of trouble in diagnosing the problem. This previous doctor did not even request an MRI to observe the soft tissue, but simply said that my ballet shoes were too small or something like that. However, after listening to me and looking at an MRI, Dr. Schon came to a quick and accurate diagnosis. After hearing my choices on how to proceed, I opted for surgery--the Brostrom-Gould procedure which Dr. Schon performed himself--and have now almost fully recovered. I am very thankful to have had such a supportive and wonderful doctor!

|  When you want the best of the best....  |  show details
Feb 4th, 2009

Dr. Schon is, without a doubt, among the best of the best surgeons anywhere -- inside or outside the U.S. I have had many surgeries prior to seeing Dr. Schon. My ratings of the other surgeons, several having been highly recommended, range from poor to mid-average at best. Dr. Schon is an excellent, highly skilled surgeon and a very nice person as well. I feel he is very honest -- he will tell you what he believes are the best and worst case scenerios are regarding your situation. He patiently answers all questions and addresses all concerns, even after a very long day in surgery. When he comes into the room for your appointment, it is as if you are his only patient. Dr. Schon was able to accomplish what all previous surgeons could not. He restored function to a badly damaged, deformed foot. It even looks normal now! I consider myself very lucky to have had him as my surgeon. Wherever he goes in his career, I will go to be treated by him.

|  Patient since 2000  |  show details
by Michele Teabout on Sep 4th, 2008

I travel from NY to see Dr Schon and if he ever moves I will be going with him! Dr Schon has operated on me as of the date 9 times. We are trying to save my left leg due to chronic nerve pain. He and his staff never rush through any appointments, so sometimes he runs a little behind, but worth it because you will get the same undivided attention when he sees you. I highly recommend him for ankle/nerve injuries.