Dr. Lew Schon MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

February 17th, 2017
Refuses to Treat Patients
Foot problems are supposedly tricky, so I tried to find someone who has a "good" reputation. There is really not much to say-the guy is just completely worthless. He may be knowledgeable in some areas, but that's no help to your patients if you don't treat them. He only takes easy cases, because he is all about his record. That's why he has a good reputation. It's not that he is any good as a doctor. I was worried about becoming crippled, and he laughed at me and said I would probably just have to deal with that. He spent the entire time talking to the residents. He didn't exchange one actual word with me. He didn't even bother to get an MRI. He simply charged me several hundred dollars for one minute of his time, and rushed me out of there. I, honestly, don't really care about his extremely insensitive comments. I just don't want to be crippled. He should try to treat all his patients. He didn't even bother with me. He never even tried to figure out what was wrong. It's hard to imagine someone as old as him no longer becoming an awful person, but he really should do his job. Just do your job. Many, like me, leave his office with crippling injuries for life, over something that in a Western civilized country would have only been a minor problem to fix.

June 28th, 2016
Excellent surgeon, quirky manner, but you are on your own afterwards if you have a problem after hours. They will not return phone calls unless you call several times, and you only speak to a PA.

June 14th, 2016
Botched surgery.
Dr Lew Schon is the most compassionate, experienced surgeon in the country. Hi is not intimidated by Mercy's Top Foot and ankle surgeons. He has new modalities no one else has. I want to walk again! He will et me walking again with G-D's will.

May 4th, 2016
Only foot surgeon you ever need to see!
Dr. Schon is my hero! Excellent diagnosis and the surgery went beautifully. He is a man of few words but has a good sense of humor. Tells it like it is. Fixed my foot perfectly when others said it was impossible. Love this man!!!!!

March 21st, 2016
?
I had a denovo graft performed by Dr. Schon over 2 years ago. honestly, I think I may be worse off than before surgery. At 9 month follow-up I was told that things looked great. No explanation was given for the ongoing pain I was having. On that given day Dr. Schoen had a troop of residents with him. They had little bedside manner and just walked in, asked me questions without introducing themselves. He did not introduce them as residents or anything either. Really, all he had to say is, "hey, I have the residents with me today. I would like for them to sit in with is. Are you okay with that?". I would have said, 'fine' if he had asked. I'm sure Dr. Schon has done some good work and has a good track record, but all surgeries have the potential to fail. I wish he could have given more guidance on where to go/what to do after my surgery failed, rather than just telling me the MRIs looked hopeful. I got the sense that he was trying to impress the residents more than anything else.

March 15th, 2016
Dr Lew Schon might be good in the OR but his bedside manners are not that great
De Schon has very por bed side maners ; he was rough and didn't seem to have any empathy with me . I waited 3 hours to see him and he took maybe 20 minutes with me , he told me that if he were to operate on me I had very high risk of dying

April 2nd, 2015
Scheduling staff : Wait time in office is 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hrs; 5 appts. scheduled for same time ; told to report to hospital at 5am for 7:30am surgery (hospital staff start time 5:30am) Schon: never suggested follow-up visits except after surgery

February 4th, 2015
Other than the wait time.......have great confidence in Dr Schon and Dr Paul ?

February 4th, 2015
David PT, MPT
As a Physical Therapist I am a critical consumer for myself and family; He's Great

August 7th, 2014
3 hours before I actually saw Dr. Schon
I went to Dr. Schon for a second opinion on whether to get foot surgery. It took 4 months to get an appointment, and I waited 2 hours in an unpleasant waiting room before being taken back to an exam room. I was first seen by a physician's assistant, who was very chatty and spent a lot of time asking me questions. After I waited another 15 minutes or so, a Dr. Stein came in, asked me a lot of questions, and then examined both of my feet. He asked intelligent questions, had good bedside manner, and seemed very competent. However, I was confused about his role. After he left, I got x-rays and then waited another 15 minutes or so. In walks Dr. Schon with 4 other people - the physician's assistant, Dr. Stein, and two other very young people to whom I was not introduced. Dr. Schon immediately started to examine my feet and did not ask me any questions. I assumed that Dr. Stein had fully briefed him. But then Dr. Stein started telling Dr. Schon his impression of my condition, and Dr. Schon told him he was wrong on two different points. Not only was it extremely unprofessional of Dr. Schon to contradict Dr. Stein in front of his colleagues and assistants, it was confusing to me as a patient and completely undermined my confidence in Dr. Schon. Needless to say, I do not recommend this doctor and will not be seeing him again.

November 27th, 2013
the best!
I went to multiple local orthopedists before I found Dr. Schon and decided to make the 8 hour drive to see him. Dr. Schon was able to offer a newer surgical procedure that no one in my area is performing. It took me just under 5 months to get in for an initial consult, but after that appointment, I knew I had made the right choice. I had to wait for a little while to see Dr. Schon, but it was well worth the wait. I think he spent at least 20 minutes with me at the initial appointment, going over diagnosis and all options. He seems to spend adequate time with all of his patients, even if it leaves him running a little behind. This is a positive and also a rarity for an orthopedist. I had surgery 2 weeks ago at Union Memorial Hospital, and the staff there were phenomenal. surgery went well, with Dr. Schon addressing the cartilage, bone, and ligament issues in full. The recovery is off to a good start. At the follow-up appointment, I got all of my questions answered and all I needed. In short, Dr. Schon is one of the best. He has great skill as a surgeon, very knowledgeable, and up on the current research. (and involved in a lot of research.) He also has an energetic personality, good sense of humor, and a genuine interest in his patients. As an added bonus, he has somewhat of a mad scientist looking going on, with a bow-tie and glasses and curly hair that sticks straight-up, My only gripe is administrative. I had a bit of a struggle to get the info I needed in my pre-surgery packet. It wasn't sent to me at the time I scheduled my surgery, so I ended up calling with a lot of questions (most of which were answered in the packet.) Also, no one mentioned pre-surgery bloodwork to me until I asked about it ('Are you sure I don't need a pre-op appointment for bloodwork or anything?'); this info is also in the packet which somehow did not get sent initially. the bloodwork instructions info was faxed to me at my request, when I still hadn't received it 3 weeks prior to surgery. After I still hadn't received pre-surgery instructions I called. These had actually been sent (after my 1st request) to the wrong address and returned to sender. But, after I called, they did fax these to me. It all worked out, but was just a little added stress to deal with. I don't know if this is a common occurrence with the office, or if perhaps staff were just under a lot of stress and these were a few unfortunate oversights. It happens sometimes.

October 18th, 2013
The absolute BEST!!
Dr. Schon is absolutely the BEST orthopedic doctor that we have ever found!! My mom was on her 18th surgery. This was to be the 2nd on her foot & she needed someone to "fix" what a surgeon messed up last year when she broke her foot. My mom is 71 years old & also suffers from neuropathy. Although it took us almost 2 months just to get an initial appointment with Dr. Schon, he was fantastic. We brought my mom from WV to Baltimore just to see Dr. Schon. I had done a lot of research on orthopedic surgeons to make sure we had the "right" one for my mom this time, and Dr. Schon was it. He took great care of my mom & even spent a great deal of time making sure that my dad, my brother & myself knew what he did for my mom. I cannot say enough great things about Dr. Schon. I would take anyone to him who needs a good orthopedic surgeon.