Dr. Lewis Blumenthal MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

June 14th, 2013
terrible doctor
He does not explain about procedures. He tried to perform a radical hysterectomy that would bring me to the menopause. I looked for a second opinion. This radical approach was not needed. I was lucky to find another doctor. Unfortunately he looks a your organs as if they have a price tag. I hear he has a big business with pregnant women. If that is not your case, you are endangered with him. Save your life and stay away from him.

February 18th, 2012
Great Doc
Have seen Dr. B for 20+ years, during which time he's expertly handled several different health issues. Always knowledgeable, with great suggestions and insight. Very friendly & easy to talk to. Really bright & insightful. I highly recommend him.

May 26th, 2011
Excellent Doctor
I highly recommend Dr. Blumenthal. After years of neglecting visits to a gynecologist, or an internist for routine exams due to my irrational fear of doctors, I had a CT scan for kidney stones come back indicating there could be some gynecological problems. I spent several very sleepless nights imagining the worst, due to my own negligence. I did my research trying to identify a doctor that would be highly experienced, professional, and hopefully compassionate, who had an affiliation with Northwestern Memorial Hospital. On Northwestern's website Dr. Blumenthal appeared in a video where he discussed his background and clinical interests. After watching the video several times I felt this was the Doctor for me. I purposely made the appointment at Dr. Blumenthal's Northbrook office rather than his main downtown location. When I arrived with much apprehension, the less clinical atmosphere put me at ease. The doctor's wife was working behind the desk and interacting with the nurse. Many patients of all ages were either in the office or arriving. Most of the patients had long relationships with Doctor Blumenthal. The interaction with his wife and nurse was familiar and personal. When I arrived an hour early, Mrs. Blumenthal greeted me warmly as being the doctors new patient. She was extremely personable, and must have detected my nervousness. She told me exactly what to expect with my first meeting with the doctor, and reiterated what I observed about how most of his patients had been coming to see her husband for many years. Once called, I met with the nurse for a brief check of my blood pressure and a few questions. As a new patient I met with the doctor in his office. He sat behind the desk while we went over my medical history. After revealing my long absence from going to a gynecologist we immediately began to form a bond. He said he realized my apprehension of doctors was profound. He told me exactly what his goals were going to be in the exam, and what the exam would consist of being. I then went into the exam room and had a great deal of confidence that I had selected the right doctor for me. He was so knowledgeable and professional throughout the exam. He made me feel relaxed and treated me with much compassion and respect. After the exam he shook my hand, and told me we would be working as a team from here on out. He went over the follow- up with lab work and several more tests at his downtown office. A wonderful doctor and staff that made a great impression on me. I'm grateful to have found Dr. Blumenthal.

May 29th, 2010
Fantastic Doctor. Highly Recommended.
My husband and I did extensive research about area OB/GYNs prior to my first pregnancy. Dr. Blumenthal came highly recommended by both his colleagues and current patients.Dr. Blumenthal took excellent care of me during my entire pregnancy. He managed my pregnancy and all of the related symptoms (e.g. genetic testing needs and extreme nausea). It was clear from the numerous conversations he had with me and with my husband that he was very well-read and current on his research knowledge.When deliver day came and complications ensued, he was fantastic. He was calm, decisive,and handled the situation well. Dr. Blumenthal ensured that what was a complicated delivery resulted in a positive outcome. After my delivery experience, I would not see anyone else.

October 5th, 2009
Experienced with High-Risk Pregnancies
I've been a patient for over 7 years and feel he is a great OB/Gyn. I had two high-risk pregnancies and Dr. Blumenthal worked in conjunction with my other doctor (specialist) to make sure all went well throughout. I saw him weekly in the last trimesters of both pregnancies at his Chicago office and have to be honest and say that his main nurse (took vitals and handled NST) is not too friendly and can be abrasive at times. There were many appts she told me, "You look puffy and tired!" Most of the time, I let her comments go, but sometimes she was so annoying that she raised my blood pressure and Dr. B had to retake it at the end of the appt to be sure that I wasn't developing pre-eclampsia...it was always normal when he took my BP so I attribute the nurse's sour personality to it being elevated at the beginning of the appt. The rest of the staff, however, is super-friendly and helpful. I successfully delivered two healthy babies within the past 5 years with a lot of guidance from Dr. Blumenthal so that's really the most important thing. His many years of experience was helpful (especially with my first prgncy) when having to make decisions about testing, etc. He presented the facts, risks and answered all of my questions. At no time did he ever dictate that tests *must* be done, but he made certain that he gave me all the information to make a decision. He's got a great bedside manner and overall, I think he's a great doctor!

June 18th, 2009
Great OB-GYN
I have been a patient of Dr. Blumenthal's for more than 18 years. I have 3 teenage children in which he supervised my prenatal care for and delivered as well. He has an excellent bedside manner and I respect his decisions, expertise & advise concerning my health. Tto those who know the importance of having certain testing done within age timeframes for women, you would understand his need to make certain that testing is completed to ensure your health. At his insight, I actually discovered that I had the sickle-cell trait while pregnant with my first born. This is something that had since birth. I had ALL the symptoms, but my pediatrician never identified the problem and I went years not knowing why I had the problems I had - so although I did not ask for a sickle cell test, his desire to give the test to me anyway helped me become aware of my body and it protected the health of my unborn children. So I DEFINITELY recommend (as my sister & I call him) "Lew Blu".

April 3rd, 2009
won't go back to him again
I saw Dr. Blumenthal only once and don't recommend him to anyone, based on my experience. Although he has a nice manner, he apparently believes that it's ok for him to ignore a patient's instructions & desire as to whether a test should be done--I told him I neither needed nor wanted a bone density test. I did agree to a breast ultrasound. Soon thereafter, his nurse came in & said to follow her, partially undress, & lie on a table. I assumed I was getting the ultrasound. When she began passing some equipment over me, I said something about the ultrasound I believed she was performing, and she said that it was a bone-density test. I repeated that I didn't need the test but she continued. I feel I was tricked into this unneeded test. Subsequently, when I was preparing to go home, I was given an appointment to return for an ultrasound, which I again assumed was the breast ultrasound. However, I asked Dr. Blumenthal if I couldn't have it done in a neighborhood lab, and he replied that he needed to be present to inject liquid. This made me wonder, and after some research on the internet, I phoned & talked with his nurse, who informed me that the scheduled ultrasound had nothing to do with the breast area. I said that the only Dr. Blumenthal had mentioned was for the breast, and she said he would probably tell me about the ultrasound he'd scheduled for me when I actually came in for the test. I immediately cancelled because I'd never trust what this doctor said or did. I believe that if I had to go to his hospital, he would order all kinds of unneeded tests, etc.

May 26th, 2016