Dr. Linda Schaffer Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Linda Schaffer?

August 11th, 2017

Didn't work out for me

"It’s impossible to defend oneself when the accuser’s mind is made up. There’s no way to produce evidence of one’s innocence. Continued protestations fall flat when a person insists that they’re right and that you’re in denial. How can we deal with such a quandary? Responding defensively to false accusations may only add fuel to the unfounded attacks. But saying nothing may convey that we’re guilty as charged. " (John Amodeo) It's difficult for me to say she isn’t a good doctor. I saw her for over 15 years and for the first 13 she helped me through a lot. I can say she contributed to helping me through a master's degree and through some extremely dark scary times. She always sort of had cranky personality and talked about herself extensively, but I developed a trust in her and eventually confided in her a great deal. I realize now, there's a healthy amount of skepticism to be had towards mental health professionals. During a particularly difficult time for me I had an appointment with her and she was extremely passive aggressive, essentially accusing me of things and then chastising me for the things that weren’t true. When I would try to say anything and attempt to tell her what was actually the case, she would tell me not to get defensive. After the appointment I knew I didn’t like how I was treated and asked my husband if I should write her a letter. I did (and was very careful not to be defensive, instead I was vague,lol), it said something to the effect of “I feel disrespected and unfortunately who I am isn’t apparent to you and I would like her not to try to tell me how she thinks she would do things.” I felt proud of how not defensive I sounded, haha. My husband read the letter and said it was good and to send it. I sent it and this is the only thing I can figure really set the next year’s events in motion. I believe she read the letter as some kind of confession that I was a secret monster. She started accusing me of some honestly just bizarre things and spinning everything I said to mean something entirely different than what I intended. The most disturbing part of all this, is whenever she believed she discovered a new thing to spin, the look on her face was that of pure and utter joy. It's like I became an experiment to her. Mad scientist status. At this point I’m starting to see the humor in it all, and I admit, at that point in time my mind was going so fast, I can see how there might have been some confusion (though this is still bizarre, lol). At the end of the day, if this never happened, she would still be my doctor, so I guess I’ll just leave people with that.

July 7th, 2012

Excellent doctor, would highley recommend. Rare doctor that returns calls, answers all questions, takes time to listen.

April 19th, 2017