Hematology Specialist, Oncology Specialist (cancer)

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

|  Worst excuse for a doctor I have ever experienced  |  show details
by Renata Clark on Jul 19th, 2014

I saw this women one time. In 2013, I had been diagnosed with stage ll ovarian cancer. I chose to go to M D Anderson hospital in Houston for my surgery. I live however in Arlington and, when it was time for me to start chemo I, through my Gynocological Oncologist at MD Anderson made an appt with this women( I would not insult real doctors by referring to her as one) at Texas Oncology in Arlington. I was about 3 weeks post op when I went to this appt. the first meeting in her exam room was this, she came barreling into the room, introduced herself, plopped her self down in a chair, and for the next 15-20 minutes reamed me out because I had gone to MD Anderson to have my surgery and now I was here wanting to do chemo in her facility. Yep, no, I'm sorry you have ovarian cancer, no, we are going to help you get through this, no, we are here for you, no, what can I do to help you feel better, nope none of that. She informed me, she didn't agree with my surgeons orders on Taxol weekly. But she said, I'll have to follow it because, direct quote, " she'll get, ( I can't type the word here the site won't let me type the profanity she used, but, it rhythms with, wissy, but starts with a, P,) if I don't". "MD Anderson always gets wissy". End of quote. She bad mouth MD Anderson and complained to me about my surgeon over and over again. She yelled at me because my surgeon did not put a port in, how was she, to give me chemo with no port, she asked me. She laid out before me how, my hair was going to fall out, my nail beds were going to turn black, I was going to be nauseated and sick. If I started to run a fever I better get to an ER fast because my white blood cells could get totally out of control and I could get deathly ill QUICK! I finally started crying and with that, she got up and walked out of the exam room without saying a word. My sister was in the room with me and we just sat there looking at each other. Did I mention this was the FIRST TIME I HAD EVER MET THIS WOMEN! I had learned that I had ovarian cancer less than 2 months and this is how a, supposedly, "doctor" treated a new patient. When she came back in the room she asked me to sit on the exam table while she did a physical exam of my throat, listened to my chest, checked my incision site, and then started giving me paperwork, prescriptions, brochures, books, and told me I could set my appt for my chemo with her assistant. Then, she was gone. I walked out like a zombie, stood in front of a desk, while a women asked me questions about dates and I picked one. She handed me a card with an appt. date on it. I stuck it with all the other papers that Verkrusky had given me and walked out. My sister and I said nothing on the way home. Later when we started telling my husband about the visit I started crying again. I knew when I walked out of Texas Oncology I was not going to do my chemo there. The next morning I called the number on the appt. card left a message on the voicemail, to cancel all appts. That she had made for me the previous day. And, to Tell Little Miss Ray of Sunshine, she is fired. My sister drove me back to Texas Oncology and I took all the papers, books, brochures, prescriptions, and appt. card in gave them to the receptionist and told her she could have this back. And I walked out. And, I hope Vernkrusky somehow finds out about this review and dares to deny it happened. My name is Renata Clark, 817-649-2391, Arlington, Texas the appt would have been in April or May 2013. She made a great first impression not only for herself but, for Texas Oncology.

|  Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia  |  show details
by Judy Ltham on Mar 20th, 2014

Dr. Verkruyse is a jewel! She has a kind and patient bedside manner. She is loving and caring and I feel that she takes her responsibility as an oncologist seriously. I have been her patient for 8 years and I highly recommend her. She has spent much more time with me soothing my concerns, alarms and fears. She is a great teacher and she holds me accountable in holding up my end of the treatment.

|  Bad Bedside Manner  |  show details
Feb 6th, 2012

This doctor does not go the extra mile to ensure that the WHOLE person is cared for during the worst time of life when facing a terminal illness. The staff is rude and short when trying to reach the doctor or make appointments. I would not recommend her for a terminal illness as she is very detached and cold! She is unable to connect on a holistic level. I am changing doctors

|  Dr not bad, office staff is TERRIBLE  |  show details
Jan 4th, 2011

Especcially her nurse Melissa. I have never seen such an uncaring nurse. Holy cow she is awful ( Melissa). I'm sure I can find a good doctor with a good nurse.

|  Breast Cancer Patient  |  show details
by Tonya on Dec 29th, 2009

Dr. Verkruyse is wonderful. She is truly a genuine soul. Her genuiness helped me through one of the most difficult time in my life after my diagnosis. Her knowledge and experience was crucial in my success at battling this disease. I love her. I would recommend her to anyone who is wanting to be ushered through this unwanted process. She is great!

|  A physican who cares  |  show details
Oct 18th, 2008

She always takes the time to let you know what is going on with your case.