inactive

• Good
  • Bad

November 16th, 2013
Rude, Confused and Argumentative
I am about to describe the worst experience I have had with a doctor. Not only was I told that his medical experience outweighed the nature of my experience as his patient, including my history of visiting his office, but also the pain I was experiencing from his suggested method of treatment. I recently visited Dr. Brown for the first time in four years, when I had been visiting monthly to receive cortisone injections directly into my wrist where a cyst had re-occurred after a surgery he performed. At this time I was not willing to go through another surgery, and was told the only other two options were to either leave it alone or continue receiving the cortisone shots. These shots were injected directly into the area where the cyst was and caused me extreme pain for weeks after the shot. Each time I returned, I was informed that this was making it better. After several visits, I could not take the pain anymore. My pain has increased over the years, and now was getting to the point where I couldn't sleep. So, I visited a specialist in my network who did not see anything wrong... not a cyst, nothing. He suggested I visit another specialist, but did not have anyone to refer me to, so I decided to go back to Dr. Brown and see if my cyst had gone away, or if it was something else. Dr. Brown agreed. He said there was no cyst. He said that it must just be a pinched nerve and admitted that he must have missed it years ago and that is what the problem had been all this time. He gave me a cortisone shot near the inside of my elbow and by the time I went back for my follow-up I had gained strength in my fingers that was not there the first day (this time around) I met with him. I had a follow-up visit. Not only did Dr. Brown say that I DID have a cyst, contrary to what he originally told me, but that I would need a cortisone shot directly into the site of pain. He started by telling me I had three options. He gave me the first option, which was that I could do nothing. I responded by simply saying I couldn't do that because my pain was too great. He rudely replied, "You just interrupted me... I wasn't finished. Don't interrupt me." Then continued on to give me the options of the cortisone shots or surgery. I began to explain that I used to get the shots. He looked into my file and said that the last time I got the shot was four years ago and that it must have worked because I hadn't come back. I explained that I hadn't come back because of the pain of the shots and that I could not handle another surgery at the time. HE ARGUED WITH ME. He repeated himself, in an extremely condescending manner, saying that if I hadn't come back then it MUST have helped. I reminded him, because I could see on his computer that he was not going far back in his notes, that I had been visiting monthly for some time and that the shots caused me extreme pain... Then HE interrupted ME. He pointed to his hairs and said, "Look at these gray hairs... I have over 30 years of experience." I replied that I was telling him my personal experience. He had the nerve to tell me the percentage of what I was saying was true. I was so offended and felt so hopeless, because I finally thought there was going to be a solution to my pain, that I began to cry. My insurance had ended the previous month, so that when I went to pay I was ready for a big bill. I explained that my insurance had expired. I was given a 30% discount, and asked them to bill me. The receptionist explained that she could only give the discount if I paid in full. I was told, "I remember last time you were here that your insurance was expiring, but you should have reminded us." What I am still trying to figure out... why do I have to remind people in an office of something that they remember??? Also, I don't care how much experience you have or how many degrees... you can't tell me how and when I am feeling pain. The most ridiculous group of people...

August 19th, 2013
i had a very positive experience at the hand center in danbury ct. after suffering a car accident that left me with an injured right hand. Drs Lionel Brown and Lunt performed a successful surgery while their center also treated me with the much needed therapy until my recovery was completed. Dr. Brown was very considerate and detailed in what was otherwise a very traumatic experience for me. i have had repeated visits and each time had a positive outcome. i highly recommend the hand center specifically Dr. Lionel Brown for his professionalism.

April 19th, 2013
I first old like to say Dr. Brown is absolutely wonderful, I went to him for a IME in 1999, sent by the other ins. Co. I found Dr. Brown to be very efficient in his exam and his explaining things to me so I would understand what was going on . He takes the time to explain things and ask questions along with exams to make a accurate diagnosis. I would highly recommend Dr. Brown to anyone. I do have to say the "review a doctor" bis a little confusing.

April 17th, 2013
patient
I have been under the care of Dr. Lionel Brown for over ten years. He is the number one hand specialist in the entire Danbury, CT area, and is very well respected. He is an exceptional, knowledgeable doctor with a wonderful warm personality. I highly recommend him for any hand problems.

March 27th, 2013