Dr. Lisa Sclafani MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

December 5th, 2015
Dr. Sclafani and the entire staff at MSKCC made my journey from multiple lumpectomies and radiation to an eventual double mastectomy "almost" easy. I never felt like just a patient. The sense of calm and caring is constantly present. In my opinion, their knowledge and compassion is unparalleled.

January 17th, 2012
where to begin.....
my mom was diagnosed in 2008 w/ breast cancer. she had seen another breast surgeon who brought her back to stoney brook hospital because he didn't take everything out the first 2 times and wanted to bring her back yet again. He was totally inept so we sought out someone who we thought would actually know what they were doing especially if they were tied in with memorial sloan kettering. what another mistake this was. dr sclafani suggested to my mother who was accompanied by my sister that she have a total mastectomy on the left breast as she only had 1/3 of it left from the other breast surgeon. so, it was agreed. dr sclafani also told my mother that she would leave the skin under her arm for reconstruction. my mother told her 'no' as at the time she was 78 years old and didn't need reconstruction. my mother also told her not to leave the skin on because she wanted to be totally cancer free. this was conveyed to dr sclafani 2 times!guess what dr sclafani did? she left the skin on. guess what happened? my mother developed cancer again in that skin and also this time in her lung. she has had 8 months of chemotherapy which seemed to be going great but now has bone cancer. need i say more about dr sclafani? my sister knows of someone else who also had a horrific experience w/her during her breast cancer. this woman should not be practicing medicine. you think a doctor from sloan kettering would be worth their weight in gold. this is not so. please do your homework. we are devastated by this.

August 7th, 2011
I had a total masectomy with dr. scalfani and she is an excellant doctor with a great bedside manner. I would highly recommend her.

April 9th, 2010
"Another good report"
without reading the radiologist report; she was asked if she "had read the radiologist's report". She admitted she had not read it yet. She came back to me after 15 minutes, informing me I did " have to get a core needle biopsy of same breast ". I asked for an MRI again, she said no. She refused to order an MRI when I asked on previous visits too. The MRI was according to her "like compareing appples to oranges, we'll keep the same type of tracking". The second opinion surgeon, said there were significant changes in the first 6 month mamograms taken; after the lumpectomy. Dr. Sclafani gave me "all good diagnosis then too" I had my new Surgeon review all the medical information, and when she ordered a MRI at LIJ, it showed there were two additional spots in the other breast and a third undetected spot in the breast that Sclafani was initially giving me "another good report".I needed a double mastectomy.

March 25th, 2009
Dr. sclafani takes her time to explain things
I feel Dr Sclafani shows she cares by the time she has taken with me at my appointments to explain everything to me and answer all my questions. her staff at commack is also kind and very helpful (especially Erin).