Overall Review

3.6

February 26th, 2016
I'm glad to read that others find her bedside manner dismissive and condescending, because for the longest time I've thought perhaps it was just me. She definitely takes an "I'm the expert" approach and, while taking time to listen to my perspective as a parent, she always finds a reason to dismiss my concerns. Unfortunately my kids really like her, they want a female doctor and she's the only woman in the practice, so I kind of feel stuck with her. :(

May 1st, 2013
Diagnosed my son with something absurd because he had one symptom for it, even though the location was wrong and the other symptoms don't match. Horrible bedside manner and is definitely condescending. I have only had to deal with her a few times for sick visits and it makes me want to leave the practice even though I love my kids regular ped. Front desk staff have attitudes but the nurses are nice.

April 12th, 2013
I have a very hard time believing that the negative reviews below were written about the same "Dr Y" that we have been going to all this time. My son has a number of behavioral and physical health problems and I have never felt ignored or patronized, she explains things better than his specialists do. Once she even saw him on a Sunday morning when he had been up crying all night and it turned out he had a terrible ear infection. Show me another doctor who does that.

May 14th, 2012
Left the practice after 15 plus yrs
I have 6 children. I had been with this group for over 15 yrs. I was very happy with them until Dr. Y arrived. I find her rude and condescending. She is bossy and does not listen to parents concerns. I have 3 grown children and have never experienced such a poor bed side manner. She overlooked several serious conditions that my youngest child has, even after I pointed the symptoms out to her. I would highly recommend that you find another Dr.

March 26th, 2012
Practice skills questionable
The office staff and other doctors in the practice of Children's Medical Group are very nice. Unfortuantely I found Dr. Yamakawa's bedside manner to be very dismissive even though I had valid concerns about my child's health. Her dismissive demeanor resulted in a delay of treatment and misdiagnosis on two separate occasions. On one occasion my child required surgery and the second occasion resulted in my child being medevaced to a children's intensive care unit. I am very concerned about Dr. Yamakawa's practice skills beyond treating the common sniffles.

April 15th, 2009
Great doc!
Dr. Y always listens to my concerns and has been right on with her diagnoses. And my kids love her!