Dr. Lisha Barre MD Patient Reviews

• Pain Management Arvada, CO

October 8th, 2013
My first step to recovery
I was very nervous for my first appt. I was surprisingly relieved at the optimism of this bundle of energy and her encouraging words. Also amazed at the amount of time spent with me, NEVER have I had a Doctor so generous and thorough with her time. I have had Fibromyalgia, severe migraines and "numerous" painful physical and even psychological traumas for decades, to the point where I was just existing off of extreme amounts of narcotic medications. Although it was a battle to get my Primary Doctor to agree with me that I wanted OFF these pills, I am SO happy I pursued it on my own and found Dr. Barre on my own. I wanted my life back. With 4 children, 3 grandchildren, life was just passing me by in a blur. The withdrawals I dreaded never happened. Dr. Barre knew from my first visit how much my Christian faith means to me and has been so respectful from day one, even thinking about then deciding, no, certain treatments might not fit well with my spiritual beliefs. Never has she belittled me for my faith, she encourages it. I have had my ups and downs mostly because of ongoing unavoidable stressors and traumatic events with my family. She goes beyond a physical Doctor and helps to ease even my emotional state. I find her office assistant, Michelle, of the same quality, so willing to answer and help with insurance questions and any little trouble, always so quick to respond and always kind and patient. My insurance does not cover everything, I live off a very small disability right now and I have never been pushed to over extend my budget therefore easing another of my main concerns. It will be one year on Oct. 17, 2013 that I took my last pain pill. I have honestly never looked back, I am so happy to have that burden off my back. I will have my days of life's ups and downs, that is only natural for everyone, but I am learning more about myself and even the people in my life that I have the right to choose, or not, to open the door to. That includes the medical field that I've come to realize just being a Doctor does not mean someone is automatically going to do right by you. We are all human beings and a Title does not automatically make you a better person with special rights to be rude. After dealing with Dr. Barre this last year I have a new set of standards for "anyone" I choose to have access to my life, from Doctors to people of every walk of life even family, friends and fellow "Believers", we all deserve respect, compassion and honesty even when it means we may have to swallow our pride sometimes and listen to our own wrong choices. We have the right to agree or disagree without being insulted unless it is for our own good. Well that about sums it up for me right now, I'm looking forward to my next appt. in a few days with my Doctor and I will take the liberty of saying friend. I know Dr. Barre does not as a "habit" like to read profiles, with good reason I agree in general (I would hate to see what random people in my life would say about me!) but if by chance you do Dr. Barre or Michelle, Thank You from the bottom of my heart. By the way, a great sense of humor is always a plus, laughter is a great medicine, something I have been missing way too long.

November 13th, 2012
Amazing Life Giver
Dr. Barre has given joy of life back to me. I suffer from chronic pancreatitis and have been taking prescribed narcotics for nearly 15 years. I was taking up to 800 milligrams of OxyContin a day and was still having a lot of pain. I wanted to be done with the narcotics and, especially, the pain. Dr. Barre prescribed Suboxone which apparently helps you get off of opiates almost immediately. Unfortunately, I was allergic to the Suboxone. Dr. Barre and I decided that a long, slow taper would be the best way for me to go. Today I will taper down to 320 milligrams. I was on 340 for about a month. Like I said, it's a slow process-down about 20 milligrams every two or three weeks. To control the pain, Dr. Barre injects me with a pain medication (no narcotics and no steroids in my syringe) and vitamin B12. There are no words to describe how much better it makes me feel! My energy level is 500% higher and I told her I almost feel high after getting them. She explained that they are stimulating my endorphins. My family and friends have even noticed the difference! Her assistant, Michelle, can handle any insurance problem and is amazing, also. I truly hope that anybody who truly wants to get better goes to see Dr. Barre. Be perfectly honest with her because she can't help you if she doesn't know whats going on. She won't judge you or cut you off cold turkey or make you go straight to rehab. Let her work her magic and you will be feeling better in no time. It's the best think you can do for yourself and those who love you.

June 8th, 2012
Enlightened diagnosis
Dr Barre changed the way I think about my pain - what caused it, what works to treat it, what that pain really is (or is NOT). Amazing. CHANGED MY LIFE!

May 9th, 2012
Dr Barre was very knowledgable about my condition, she spent an hour with me on my first visit I never felt rushed. She takes more of an eastern medicine type approach instead of just prescribing another drug I highly recommend Dr Barre

December 20th, 2011
Dr. Barre is a fabulous doctor. She understands that a "pill" doesn't fix everything. Dr. Barre treats the entire body, not just the symptoms. She is progressive, enlightened and sincerely caring. If you truly want to feel better, see Dr. Barre and listen to what she asks you to do.

August 22nd, 2011
If you are willing to work, Dr. Barre works with you
I am a chronic pain patient. Dr. Barre has helped me be able to walk and work again--using alternaitve and western meds.She is a gifted accupuncturist--knowing exactly where to go each time. She also stresses diet, exercise, stress relief--treating the whole person.She is a ball of fire and energy, and won't work well with everyone. But if you have chronic pain--she is your best bet towards getting a productive, as-pain-free-life as possible.

May 21st, 2011
WARNING: YOU MAY END UP IN HOSPITAL IF BEING "TREATED" BY DR. LISHA BARREU
I decided to see Dr. Barre after reading positive reviews, and ended up having a dangerous and almost deadly experience. My first visit with her was average, mostly with her sharing her strong liberalist views, along with her extreme support of medical marijuana and its appropriateness for almost every pain patient. I found that a bit "off" for a physical rehabilitation MD (she is not an actual pain management MD, I found out later after doing some research, though she prints, "Pain Specialist" on her business cards). However, the real red flag was the fact that I had to wait one hour and thirty five minutes before I was seen on my first visit. Her staff (one office individual, no nurses or PA's or other medically qualified staff present) was superficially polite, but when I called to ask a routine insurance question following my visit, this individual was unbelievably curt and rude, and unwilling to get the answer to my very basic question. On my second visit, as I attempted to share personal information with Dr. Barre which was pertinent to my medical condition, she was extremely condescending and she interrupted me, responding with highly negative and judgmental comments about the personal health information I'd begun to share. She told me that in her opinion, my scenario was "hopeless" and that I'd be better off to essentially "give up". These were her words, verbatim. She then told me our time was up (even though for this second appointment, I waited a full 55 minutes) and then prescribed a medication which she told me she "doubted I would actually take or be compliant with". I filled the prescription and began the medication, determined to prove her wrong about my "hopeless" condition or willpower to take 'alternatives' for pain medication. Three days later, the medication she prescribed began to have serious and frightening effects, and landed me in two different hospitals as well as an Urgent Care, with a life threatening organ obstruction, resulting from a complication from medication interactions and my pre-existing medical condition (related to thyroid, a common condition for many patients). This was a condition which she was informed of on my first visit, as well as the following visit, and which was clearly listed in the pages of paperwork I was required to complete, which was "partially" transcribed to every page of my patient chart. I called her, FROM THE HOSPITAL, wanting to let her know I was in the ER, and she simply did not care, blaming me for "likely not taking the medication correctly" and subsequently hanging up. I'd asked her about my pre-existing medical conditions (again, which she knew I had) and any potential interactions with this medicine BEFORE I agreed to take it, and was completely ignored and re-directed by more comments from her about her doubts that I would even give the medicine "a chance". I requested that Dr. Barre communicate with my GP and with at least one of the three ER physicians who saw me, in order to clarify the reasons behind the medication and dosing protocol she prescribed to me. She refused to communicate with any of the doctors who saw me in the ER following her error, and told me that she was no longer interested in treating me (what a surprise). After spending over $2600 in ER fees and copays, I am worse off than I ever was before seeking Dr. Barre's "help" for "alternative pain management". Since sharing this painful and frightening experience with friends, I met a friend of a friend who also saw Dr. Barre in the past for pain management: this individual has MS, a very painful condition, and is in a wheel chair. Dr. Barre told her she would "never get better" unless she "lost the wheelchair" and "forced" her body to move, and also pushed medical marijuana on her in every visit (again, she did this with me as well, apparently medical marijuana is her "natural" drug of choice for every pain patient). Dr. Barre has NO compassion, no follow up, and no interest in working with other physicians. She belittles you for asking questions regarding medication or your "treatment plan" (which she does not put together with other doctors because it is too time-consuming) and she has no hesitation in telling you that your case is "hopeless". I am astonished that Dr. Barre still has a license to practice medicine. Her approaches are unethical, dangerous, and just plain lazy. It is highly unusual to come across a complete stranger who has seen the same doctor that you have, and to learn that your experiences were almost identical in terms of having been belittled and insulted, and having very serious health problems arise after being "treated" by her. Dr. Barre should not be practicing medicine, period. Three ER/Urgent Care doctors that I saw as a result of her "care" could not believe that she prescribed the medication she did for me, with my medical background, and were also astonished that Dr. Barre was unwilling to speak with them and explain her reasoning for putting me on this medication, which resulted in my life-threatening medical scenario. If you value your health, your recovery, your time, and your faith, DO NOT SEE DR. BARRE!!!!!

April 17th, 2011
She is a fantastic doctor! She CARES.

July 14th, 2010
Thank you for being such an amazing doctor and for the huge difference you've made in my life, health and pain management. I wish more doctors were like you!

May 29th, 2009
Excellent!
Dr. Barre digs deep into my issues and address them. I've been a patient of hers for a few years, i'm a chronic pain victim. The acupuncture drops my pain level down and helps. She has been the best pain management doctor i've had. I look forward to each visit. She coaches me on my life, what I should be doing physically, eating habits, calms me down before each procedure, sets the stage for a peaceful treatment. I can't say enough great things about her. Her staff always praises her and her methods, Pat and Ron. That's a great sign of a great doctor.

May 23rd, 2009
holistic approach
Dr Barre took the time to explain to me the importance of diet and exercise, and worked with me to get me off my meds. She is a very caring and knowledgeable doctor, the best I've ever been to. She won't just prescribe meds. Highly recommended!

May 18th, 2009
A doctor who really cares
I was addicted to pain meds for so long, an did not know who to turn too. I found out about the drug "Suboxone" and Dr. Barre helped me this amazing drug and got me off these meds. She is the most caring, understanding , knowledgeable Doctor I have ever met. If you are having trouble with pain addiction she is the person you need to talk too.