Dr. Lois Van Tol MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

September 2nd, 2016
Lois needs to improve her people skills. She knows a lot, shares information, and responds quickly. But she makes me feel like I can never do things quite right, and I don't mean medically. She always was correcting me for improper office protocol. If I wrote an email, it was too long. If I called, I should have sent an email. One time I called shortly before an appointment to tell her that my car had broken down and had been towed to the shop, and that I couldn't get to the bus because there was a downpour and my umbrella was in the car. Her response was to threaten to terminate me for not giving her 24 hours notice. The final blow was when I decided to participate in a flu vaccine study and had a severe reaction. The people doing the trial provided whatever assistance they could, but were not authorized to prescribe medications. So, I called Lois. She refused to see me. She said it was their responsibility, not hers. Other thing: she told me it could take 6 months to get an appointment with an experienced endocrinologist, so I should accept an appointment with a resident who hadn't actually begun working. The next day I was given an appointment with the experienced endocrinologist for the following week. There were any number of experiences like those where, for some reason, Lois felt she needed to correct me. I finally brought my husband along, so he could witness it. Needless to say, I have changed practices.

November 19th, 2013
Misleading practice
I was looking for a holistic doctor and Dr. Van Tol was recommended to me. I saw this doctor twice in the last couple months, at her Prince St address. The first time I saw her, she marveled at all the phone calls she gets assuming she is holistic, complementary, homeopathic or alternative. She told me flat out she is allopathic. She boasted that because she has a micro practice she could spend more time with her patients. So I decided to continue with the visit in the hopes of dealing with some pain and depression issues. Dr. Van Tol never addressed my pain issues but she did prescribe an antidepressant. She told me to stop all supplements for two weeks. The pharmacist told me I could continue with my calcium and vitamin D so I did take those. I had side effects from the medication she prescribed and told her that in our follow up appointment. I also confessed to her that I did continue to take my calcium and vitamin D supplements after speaking to the pharmacist. She told me she could not help me. She told me if you eat right, get enough sleep, avoid stress and exercise, you don’t need supplements. In fact she seems to be adamantly opposed to supplements, which is something I have not encountered and would not have expected. She acknowledged that I need help and then said “I can’t help you.” Her attitude was akin to ‘don’t let the door hit you on the way out.’ Since that happened, I found her name in Lori’s Natural Foods “Directory of Complementary and Alternative Practitioners.” I called Lori’s and told them of my experience with Dr. Van Tol and suggested they might want to remove her from their list. I was informed the doctors / practitioners are the ones that ask to be on that list and I believe she said they even pay to be on it. I am very frustrated in having wasted my time and money to see this doctor. I want people considering seeing her to know she is not complementary or alternative in any way in the hopes no one else would waste their time and money as I have. And also have to deal with a frustratingly closed minded individual.

January 28th, 2013
Look forward to our visits!
Dr. Van Tol is our family doctor. She's easy to contact with any concerns about our newborn. She's very holistic and provides us with a lot of information regarding health decisions ( vaccinations, birth control, etc.) I've never had such a kind physician... I'm so thrilled we found her!

August 24th, 2012
Excellent caring physician
It is hard to find a doctor that really listen and respect your preferences. Dr. Van Tol portrays both. She listened carefully to what I had to say and respect my preference treatment. She gives personalized attention. I strongly recommend Dr. Van Tol.

August 7th, 2012
exceptionally caring
I find Lois Van Tol to be exceptionally caring, a good listener, willing to change approach if asked, knowledgeable. She has been my primary doctor for months and I am find her easy to communicate with by email/phone, readily available, a great resource.

October 10th, 2011
This doctor has poor bed side manner,I was very unsatisfied with how she treated me throughout my appointment.She was unwilling to listen to what I had to say and when asked by a practice manager what she said she lied.Very disappointed in this doctor,I will never return there again.