Dr. Loren Jenkins MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

January 30th, 2017
Used the wrong hardware
I had spinal surgery in 2002 and titanium screws were installed in my vertebrae as planned. He went to secure them down and he had mismatched metals. All the hardware and cables were removed and then stainless steel with nickel was installed in my back. A large bone graph (that caused painful arthritis) had to be used to fill in the vertebrae first. I never recovered from this surgery, was in worse pain afterwards, and I developed an immune response to the hardware that was in my spine. I wasn't aware until 7 years later that he made such a huge mistake despite telling him it hurt worse for years. My operative report wasn't even to legal standards but since I had just turned 18 before my surgery, the state protects surgeons in Oregon after so many years. My operative report didn't even state what metal was in my back. It took much research, going through old Kaiser records, and contacting the medical hardware company to determine what was exactly in my back. The surgeon knew I couldn't tolerate the hardware used worn as jewelry but never suggested removing the hardware despite my pain being worse, the hardware backing out, and my health going down hill. Nearly half my hair fell out, I developed constant headaches, and became chronically fatigued within months of the surgery. I started getting regular infections throughout my body and my immune system went down hill. After having worse allergies to metals and worsening immune issues, I had elisa blood work done suggesting the metal come out. I tried to talk to Dr.Jenkins office numerous times after learning what was in my back and wanting to get them removed. I asked his office talk to him about the mistake but he refused to talk to me unless I had Kaiser insurance again. It was a horrible process and so upsetting to learn how much he messed up on my surgery. Two neurosurgeons since 2012 when my hardware was removed have said the surgery that Dr. Jenkins did makes no sense at all in the first place. I 100% regret my surgery with Dr. Jenkins. My back and immune system will never be the same.

March 3rd, 2011
major spine surgery
Surgery is not for everyone. Since I needed it for degenerative disk disease, spinal stenosis and scoliosis, I figured we should do it all at once. Three months after a 15 hour surgery with rods from T7 to L4, I am no longer having to take pain med's. My back is straight, I am healing and making great progress!

March 9th, 2010
Excellent surgeon
I was referred to Dr. Jenkins when my MRI showed a massive hernia at my L5-S1 disc. Upon meeting him, I explained that my condition worsened so much that I had severe pain in both legs and it started going into my groin. He made me feel very comfortable and assured me that the pain I was experiencing was valid due to the size of the hernia. He explained the hemilaminectomy and microdiscectomy procedure, went through the checklist of what the risks and benefits were, and scheduled the appointment for surgery a week from our office visit. I was pretty scared to get back surgery. I watched my grandfather go through it many years ago and he was never quite the same afterwards. So I had a preconceived notion that this was going to royally suck. I did a lot of frantic research beforehand and found conflicting results from people who had the surgery I was in for, so I went in expecting the worst but hoping for the best. I went in at 6 am for the procedure, surgery began at 8, lasted about 2 hours plus, and I was out of the Kaiser facility by noon. The pain was pretty intense at the incision, but it was a different kind of pain than what I'd been experiencing. Had no pain in my legs. I could walk without assistance or without a pronounced limp that same day. After suffering for six months of debilitating pain, I am happy to report that I am in a much better place and am able to return to normal day-to-day activities. I couldn't be more pleased, and am thankful to have been referred to such an awesome doctor. Best of luck to those searching for answers.

October 22nd, 2008
Tim
Great surgeon. I had no complications and he was very professional and understanding of my problem. I would highly recommend him to friends and family.

February 19th, 2017