Dr. Lori Willinghurst Is this you?

1.9

Dissatisfied

Have you seen Dr. Lori Willinghurst?

Posted on August 3rd, 2017

Dr. Willinghurst is the first psychiatrist I've visited. I came to her because of her trauma expertise; this was a huge mistake. I informed her at the beginning that I suspected that I was autistic, that I definitely had PTSD, that I very probably had ADHD, that I was having significant memory loss problems, and that I had high anxiety and depression. She prescribed me the lowest dosage of Wellbutrin, used to treat ADHD and depression, and increased the dosage every 2-3 weeks. These appointments were largely a waste, as I kept informing her that I felt absolutely zero noticeable effects despite the increases and that I should maybe change to a different medication. She pretty much ignored this until I revealed that I had been doubling each dosage myself (which I'm aware is something I shouldn't have done and I told her this) and still felt nothing except for a rise in suicidal thoughts (which is not a side effect of Wellbutrin and I told her this also), at which point she finally changed the prescription to Citalopram, at again the lowest dose. I originally had a problem with taking the medication at all, because I could not remember to take it and even couldn't remember appointments. Dr Willinghurst was very unhelpful with this, and stated that even her patients with memory problems remembered her appointments because they actually cared about getting better, not-so-subtly implying that I didn't care about getting better. There was also a fee for missing an appointment, which is a standard practice, but I expected some sort of help for people who have trouble making appointments. I asked her for advice with the medication and she offered to put reminders in the calendar on my phone, which I told I had already tried and that didn't work, and that five other people had also suggested this to me. I fixed this issue when my grandma gave me a simple pill box, and she was stunned that Dr Willinghurst had not suggested this. Alongside the medication problems were massive therapy problems. I had an appointment with her over the phone because I couldn't find her new office, and the first thing I said was that I was very anxious and frazzled over not being able to find her office, and that there were several new issues I wanted to talk about and that I was going to talk very fast. In the next few sentences I was talking about speeding up the medication because my suicidal thoughts were increasing. I said "f*ck" out of frustration and she immediately interrupted me to state (agonizingly slowly) that she felt in danger when i swore and that she would not tolerate it,. I reminded her that we were talking over the phone and that the subject of my swearing was a traumatic near-death abuse experience that resulted in my PTSD that any non-mentally ill person would swear about and was not at all about her. She ignored this and did not give any reasons for why she felt the way she did. She instead stated that she "would not tolerate disrespect". I again reminded her that I meant no disrespect, but also informed her that that particular phrasing was exactly what my abusers had said to me, and was a trigger of mine. She retorted that there was literally no other way to phrase that concept, and restated it. At this point I was entering a panic attack and getting a bit angry with her. I told her that i was entering a panic attack because of her words and asked her why she was continuing to use that trigger with a PTSD patient who was pleading with her to stop it. She replied that getting mad at basic concepts was not an excuse, restated the trigger, and at this point I had started to cry (which i then told her i was doing). This seemingly did not phase her, as she still was talking evenly and (very) slowly. I called her "a f*cking idiot" for purposefully triggering a person with PTSD, at which point she threatened me with a referral to a "mental center with security guards", describing a psych ward. I was still crying and she asked me whether I would want to keep seeing her. I replied that I didn't know and she made an appointment for a week later. After I hung up I immediately texted her seven different ways to restate the triggering phrase. The experience on this phone call was horrendous and unacceptable. In the appointment a week later, I asked to talk about the phone call. She seemed very keen to move forward but I stayed on the topic. I asked her why she felt it was acceptable to keep triggering a person with PTSD when I sent her very clear alternatives to that phrasing. She ignored me and again stated the she wanted to move forward. I asked her why she lost all respect for my well being by forcing me into a panic attack and she replied that she thought that respect was a touchy subject for me, and mockingly asked "its hard to say disrespect without saying disrespect, isn't it?" I replied that she should stop trying to play games with me. She continued by stating that she did not feel that diagnoses were important, and that she didn't think I had PTSD at all. She went on to state that I might have Paranoid Personality Disorder, and that my extreme emotions and reactions may be a result of my autism. It should be known that when a US doctor doesn't feel that diagnoses are important, this is a huge red flag, especially when they require out-of-pocket pay like Dr Willinghurst. This is less of an issue in places with universal healthcare because the standards are universal as well. In the US, diagnoses are used as treatment standards because they're the only universal standard we have. In my personal case, having a diagnoses gives me hope that my symptoms have been treated before and that my life can improve, not just being in a limbo where someone is just guessing at what kind of medications I need. I was also extremely skeptical of her judgement at this point, because she was ignoring my clear symptoms of PTSD yet all of a sudden claiming that I had autism despite me giving her no medical or psychological records and running no diagnostic tests for autism on me. I replied to her by saying that swearing out of anger is not an extreme emotion in most contexts and is also not an abnormal reaction, and that not using diagnoses for what they were created for is a massive red flag, and that my paranoia and anxiety only started rising after I learned that the way my abusers had treated me was horrific and abnormal, so a personality disorder diagnoses didn't make any sense. She proceeded to explain to me that PTSD was usually diagnosed in people who have experienced near-death war situations and domestic abuse situations, and that she had worked in a VA center and a domestic abuse center. I told her that the traumatic situations I had described (being strangled to death on my kitchen floor by my brother, among other things) was exactly what she had described, a near-death domestic abuse situation. She replied that it was a little bit different and that she again wanted to move forward. I asked her three separate times exactly how it was "a little bit different", and she refused to answer me. The third time, she described that my symptoms were likely biological and social in nature, to which I replied "no sh*t, that's almost every mental illness diagnoses." At the mention of another swear word she again threatened me with a psych ward referral. At this point I think I've conveyed enough. This woman is an insensitive and dangerous practitioner that frankly shouldn't be anywhere near a mentally ill person. Intentional triggering a PTSD patient to the point of a panic attack, frequent interruptions and ignoring questions, threatening a psych ward at mere swearing, and a fundamental lack of understanding of her supposed specialty despite the hardcover DSM-V in her office, this treatment is unacceptable. The suggestions (as she phrased it) of a psych ward to me were not empty since as a psychiatrist, she has the legal power to send me there without my consent. This scares me to no end, and my urge to get as far away from her as possible was for this reason more than any. She needs to know that these threats are terrifying to patients, if she doesn't already, and the fact that she's willing to threaten that for something as menial as saying"f*ck" is a huge warning sign. She has shown so much insensitivity towards myself and my well-being that I could only recommend her to people I despise. Unfortunately, she has made my anxiety and paranoia actively worse, and I am now incredibly skeptical of any future psychiatrists because of her. I am genuinely worried for any patient she has or will treat, because of the terrifying experience I had with her. Keep in mind, I only had five (5) appointments with her, and this is what happened. And this is just the large stuff, there were several smaller exchanges that sent off alarm bells in my head: I told her that PTSD vets definitely swear about their experiences and she told me not a single one did, I would arrive on time and more than once waited fifteen minutes to walk in, I told her that I felt suicidal but had no plans to do so and she informed me that she would have to call the police if i had a plan even though I already said i had no plans, she immediately accepted that i had autism and ADHD which need more in depth testing but denied that I had PTSD, implied more than twice that i was being abusive towards her by swearing and showing anger even though neither of those things were directed at her at the time, and finally, she used a hypothetical of not diagnosing a man with bipolar disorder because he'd lose his job as a police officer, to which I replied that she should've done that because giving an undiagnosed bipolar person a gun and putting them in life-and-death situations is an abysmal and extremely shortsighted idea, to which she replied that she didn't want to discuss hypotheticals anymore. Please stay away from Dr Willinghurst unless you have no other option, paying out of pocket for psychiatric abuse is not at all worth it.

Terrible! Keep her away from your loved ones!

Posted on June 29th, 2017

A dangerous doctor that only keeps records based on what you pay her.

Incompetent and provincial. Especially avoid for therapy if you can.

Posted on March 13th, 2017

Noticed

Posted on June 16th, 2015

I was noticing how a lot of these reviews sound the same. And all the dates are very close to one another. Just saying.

Posted on June 29th, 2017