Dr. Louis Belzie Is this you?

3.3

Have you seen Dr. Louis Belzie?

Ridiculous Appointment Policy and Degrading Bedside Manner

Posted on July 12th, 2016

I needed a psychiatrist that was local to me in New York, following my mother's cross-country move which meant I could no longer use my psychiatrist of 10 years from my hometown. This resulted in a nightmarish search to get anyone around that actually accepted my base-level insurance policy. I was diagnosed as an early teen, with clinical depression and anxiety and have been treated successfully with the same medication and occasional therapist ever since. I didn't ask anything more of Dr. Belzie than for his understanding and to maintain my level of medication. Somehow this rubbed him the wrong way as he needs his patients to see him every month for "record-keeping" and so that he can continue to bill their insurance companies and collect visit co-pay. He required that I see him every month, despite my living over an hour away by public transit. This made it near impossible to get to his office at opening in order to write my name on the list. He doesn't give appointment time slots, just a date, and from there it's a free-for-all. I have never not waited for multiple hours in the waiting room. Inside the office, Dr. Belzie is very impersonal, makes little eye contact and spends inane amounts of time typing on his computer. He is wildly forgetful. After seeing him for months, I needed to reschedule my appointment and he gave me a Thursday that week at Brookdale Hospital. When I arrived in the lobby, he greeted me as a colleague before it dawned on him that I was a patient. He only laughed at his egregious error and then proceeded to discuss my medication in the public space, never taking me to an office. No apology. This guy's main focus is the wealth he's making from patients' insurance companies.

Second opinions and research are advised

Posted on April 17th, 2016

The wait in the office can vary from ten to fifteen minutes if you are the first one or second person there when the office opens, to three to four plus hours if the office is full. Don't worry about being late for your appointment. There is a tv in the lobby so if there is an empty seat in view you can take your mind off with the view. Making an appointment is easy, changing appointments too. May not be the day you desire but some people dont seem to mind. Sometimes I didnt either. They call to remind you of your appointment too sometimes. If you get there two or three hours after they open you may be waiting for a few hours before you see the doctor. Appointments are not set in stone. The staff is courteous. One or two attitude days but not very noticeable. Nice receptionists. My diagnosis was not accurate. Too bad it took years of just going before I got fed up and researched into a second, and even third opinion as to level of care, diagnosis and treatment. I dont believe Dr Belzie entirely follows a recovery model. They do accept medicaid though. Dr Belzie was calm seemingly. However, Ive seen his bad side. Never really spoke to him for more than 5-10 minutes. Never really responded but hes not really there to talk. He mentioned that once or twice. If you want someone to talk to you would need another Doctor for that he said in not so many words. He seemed to spend time with other clients though. Often, some people would be in his room for 20-30 minutes, give or take. 6 to 8 people ahead of you when you arrive for your appointment, you may be waiting 3-4 hours, give or take. You or your family can contact him if any trouble arises during the month, he may speak for a minute or few, but he recommends the ER if you cant reach him. One to grow on. The follow up is your next visit pretty much. However, the courteous, kind and savvy receptionists, lovely girls who sit in front most of the day, are salways happy to remind you by phone of your next visit.

Posted on March 16th, 2016

I Wish he would listen a little more overall hes very accommodating comforting..front add staff is so serious no smiles in aplace like this and reason you go....you woyld think that they would greet you with a smile

Stay away

Posted on September 3rd, 2015

Quick to file for payment from your insurance company but slow in filling out forms. Don't answer phone or respond to voicemails or faxes.

a total retard

Posted on May 30th, 2014

Has some teenage girl sitting in the room with him as hes asking you to spill your personal business. Totally indifferent to patient needs. Always packed office if you have an appointment at 4 youll be seen at 7 total retard.

Stick around

Posted on July 22nd, 2013

Dare to experience him at your own discretion. A 10 AM appointment won't get you into McDonald's in time for a little brunch. Very long wait. Slightly uncomfortable seating for the wait. Ive waited well over 3 hours on more than one occasion behind only 4-5 other people if that and only spent less than 15 minutes in his office when I was finally called to be seen. Seemed quite inattentive to my desires or needs beyond keeping his appointment calendar full. Mostly courteous front desk will call if you miss an appointment but I would question whether he paid attention to my file or even concerns I had previously addressed during our short meetings. First experience was the worst but I settled for his services due to lack of finances. I was referred. Big mistake. Lesson well learned. There were better alternatives I later found with a little research. Wouldn't go back, wouldn't recommend him to anyone either. I only added a star because it is required for rating.

waiting time was over 3-4 hours