Dr. Luis Vargas MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

October 11th, 2016
Nurse practioner either does not listen to voice messages or does not like to leave messages in response to questions.
To schedule a physical exam, call at least 2 months in advance of when you want the exam. The office is filled with wonderful people. Love Dr. Vargas...great guy, great doctor in every way. Love his staff. Calling and leaving messages with his nurse practitioner could be handled much better. There is little hope she will leave a message when returning your call, addressing your issue or answering your question if you are not able to take her call. She just says call her. So right off the bat, you play a round of phone tag, which is frustrating. A direct answer or declaration that she does not understand or does not know the answer would be preferable.

September 17th, 2015
Dumb Reviews
What's with these 1 star reviews. They're completely the result of the person and not the doctor. I've been seeing Dr Vargas for years and he's been great. But since we can't comment on reviews, I'll comment here. Why would anyone go to a general practitioner for a bipolar disorder? That just makes no sense. At the end of the review she admits her mistake but still gives Dr Vargas a 1 star. That's stupid. Even more ridiculous is the Mexican drug addict that gives Dr Vargas one star because he wouldn't refill the drug they had gotten addicted to. Come on, people.

July 4th, 2012
Do not see him for mental health issues!
I was misdiagnosed with depression (I am bipolar) by Vargas, which isn't such a big deal except the meds for depression make bipolar disorder worse. When I was finally diagnosed bipolar (3 years later by two other doctors) I discussed my concerns with him about continuing on antidepressants as they weren't working. Recently I did some research to find out why my antidepressants weren't working, only to find out the reason I'm getting worse is because of the meds he kept putting me on. When I asked him to put me on a mood stabilizer, he suggested a new antidepressant. I trusted him, thinking he must know what he is talking about. Unfortunately, he put me on the antidepressant that has the worst withdrawal symptoms (something he didn't go into much detail about when I asked about side effects), wrote the dosing instructions for the pharmacy incorrectly, then went on vacation. I tried to fill the prescription when it ran out and found out that because he screwed up I'd be forced to detox from the meds. Called his office to talk to his nurse and the front office people refused to let me even leave her a voicemail message. Was promised he would call me as soon as he got back from vacation. He never did. Now I'm experiencing pretty horrible withdrawal symptoms from a medication I wouldn't have taken in the first place had he been up front about the withdrawal symptoms.BOTTOM LINE: If you have any sort of mental health issues, see a specialist! If he is currently treating you for a mood disorder and you don't like the results, get a second opinion!

April 23rd, 2012
Uprofessional doctor.U
I went to see Dr. Vargas because I was feeling withdrawal symptoms from stopping taking klonopin. I had brought some with me from Mexico and I had run out. I was feeling very bad. He refused to prescribe more klonopin. Later I had to go to emergency room because my symptoms got worst. I learned that it is very dangerous to stop taking klonopin and that it has to be taken in decreasing quantities. This doctor should have known that. He was also very unprofessional during the visit (out of place humor, disrespectful.) Horrible experience.