Dr. Magdalene Karon MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

July 26th, 2016
Bad midlevel
I saw her NP who did the lousiest exam I have ever had. Then, she tried over and over to sell me a laser treatment for stress incontinence but couldn't even tell me what kind of laser it was. I saw dr. Karon last year and liked her. She should monitor her midlevels

June 29th, 2014
Wonderful Doctor
Dr. Karon is a great doctor. It is hard for me to reconcile the negative reviews with my own experiences because they are so vastly different. I usually see the PA or a nurse practitioner except during OB visits or something out of the ordinary such as treating PCOS. The wait time is hard, but guess what? I have never been to an OB/GYN's office and not had to wait a long time. Women in delivery can't "hold off" until a more convenient time for non-delivery patients. Babies come when they come and the doctor has to attend. I have been asked in the past if I wanted to re-schedule with Dr. Karon or see the assistant and have always gone with the assistant rather than reschedule. She is very knowledgeable, does her job well, and doesn't hesitate. I went in for an amniocentesis, she said my BP was elevated and there wasn't enough fluid around the baby. She scheduled a C-section that same day eight hours later, after her regular office hours. Dr. Karon didn't take any chances with me or my baby and I am very grateful for that. Unfortunately, I had to experience a really bad OB for my first pregnancy to really appreciate Dr. Karon. She came highly recommended to me by several women I work with and I wish I had chosen her instead of the dud doctor that first pregnancy. If she were a man, would "cheesy waiting room" even be a part of a review? I think not.

April 10th, 2014
Multiple Terrible Experiences
The office people at Dr. Karon's office could not be worse. Multiple times it took more than 2 weeks (and several phone calls) for them to fill out a preauthorization form for me to get my prescription filled. Once, I was living out of town and they told me (after 2 weeks) that they still could not fill out the form for me because someone in their office was on vacation. I spent my afternoon driving to Lexington to get a free sample so I would have my medicine, only to find them perusing Facebook when I arrived. Another time when I called them, they answered laughing and then hung up on me as soon as I started speaking. They are rude and very unprofessional. During regular, routine visits, I have spent up to 3 hours waiting in her office (sometimes mostly naked in that robe thing). Don't put yourself through that. Dr. James' office will have you in and out in 30 minutes. Dr. Karon has performed 2 of my surgeries for endometriosis. She thinks very highly of herself and doesn't explain things very well. If you don't have any problems and just want a yearly checkup, this may be fine. But it wasn't okay with me! My most recent surgery took 2 hours longer than was expected and she did not alert my family as to what was going on ... needless to say, they were very concerned!

July 27th, 2013
Good doctor, terrible practice
Dr. Karon seems very knowledgeable, intelligent, and willing to provide you with the necessary information. Her practice, however, is beyond abysmal. I've visited the office on three separate occasions during the past year and each time (though the staff was different at each visit) the staff has been downright rude and unfriendly. You wait three hours (no exaggeration here) to see a doctor, are never told she's running behind and offered to re-schedule, and when you get back to a room you wait another 30-45 minutes, at least. All to see the nurse practitioner or Dr. Karon for maybe 5 minutes. The small lobby has been jam-packed every single time I visited and it feels like you're being rushed in and out. Also, labs take forever to come back and when you call to check in them you have to deal with their extremely rude staff. Is Dr. Karon a good doctor? I would say yes, she knows her stuff. Is it worth it? No. There are many knowledgeable doctors in the Lexington area who will care more about your time and personal well being than the ones at this practice.

June 13th, 2013
I always call the office prior to my scheduled visit to see if Dr. Karon is on schedule. The staff tells me she is, but then I wait for 2 hours! No excuse! Our time is just as valuable as doctors!!!!

May 8th, 2013
Best OB/GYN in Town!!!
Dr. Karon diagnosed me with PCOS and endometriosis and delivered my children that I was told by other doctors I would not be able to have. Prior to seeing her I had very painful periods that were irregular. Since her diagnosis I have delivered 2 healthy children and have gotten my periods under control. I have recommended several friends and family to her and they feel the same. The wait can be long at times but I expect that when she delivers all of her own OB patients, which is rare these days. The staff has always been great!!!

January 28th, 2013
Retired navy
This is the worst doctor I have ever seen. A three hour wait then told because of her vacation she was over booked SHE IS HORRIBLE!

May 16th, 2012
I've been with Dr. Karon for 14 years. She took over in my last month of pregnancy for my fourth child when my OB/GYN decided he couldn't deliver because of his own personal illness (stroke). She took me immediately and I had wonderful experience. I have had to wait at times but its always because of an emergency and that is very common with OB/GYN 's. They always give you and option of canceling, rescheduling or seeing her PA. I have had excellent service with her and her staff. I do not understand patients who say she has no time for them because she has had very indepth conversations with me about my care and yes she and I have gone into my personal life also because she is concerned about us. Maybe you are the one who does not know how to carry on a conversation with her. Take a list of questions with you she will answer you. She, in my opinion, is a great doctor. My eldest two daughters also use her as their OB/GYN. I have even seen her outside of the office and she recognizes me by name and speaks to me.

May 1st, 2012
After reading the other comments, it's surprising that women blast Dr. Karon for wait time, office decor, misdiagnosis, bedside manner, etc. Whatever one's opinion of her bedside manner, she is the one who beats the path and clears the way for other Ob/Gyns. She finds ovarian cancer sooner, or when no other doctor does. If patients expect anyone to sit with them for 30 or more minutes, they need to review their insurance coverage; are you willing to pay double? There are therapists for that, and it's called "talk" therapy. We are way beyond the days of physicians who pull up a chair, offer a coffee and encourage us to pour out our hearts: it's all financial and it starts at the top of the insurance foodchain, not with Dr. Karon. I have no vested personal interest here, as I usually see the practitioner, which, by the way, will become more common as technology changes and insurance companies push for more cost effective treatment, but I encourage those who complain about Dr. Karon to realize that whether you know it or not, we are really getting filet mignon and paying hamburger prices! She is highly-esteemed, and she is sharp as a blade! You may not always get that "bedside" service, but know that she is fully aware of your particular case and that your treatment is her top priority. It also amazes me that so many girls/women choose to have multiple sex partners, contact diseases that are beginning to resist once-relied-upon medications, then rush to the doctor and expect an instant diagnosis and cure! I am from an older generation that sees this new generation as one that expects more from others than it expects from itself. If you think wait time, conversation and personal interaction is now lacking, get ready to one day soon have "McDonald's" treatment: drive-through service! Again, these decisions start so far at the top that the only we can "see" them is to "log-in!" Dr. Karon is the "real deal," and she is a real deal. Also, when I consider how difficult it is to get into medical school (almost impossible), how expensive it is to go to medical school, and how ridiculous malpractice insurance coverage has become for doctors, I marvel at why anyone would put themselves through that process alone, not to mention the extra 4-6 years of studying in the specialty of obstetrics and gynecology: 10-15 years of medical school before hanging the sign on the door! We need to encourage women to enter the medical field, but I find that women are the worst critics of other women: it's our right, but we have a duty to encourage our daughters and our granddaughters to emulate women such as Dr. Karon: study, work hard, care for others, be responsible. I could go on-and-on, but I will close now and go to work so that I can pay-off student loans!

April 10th, 2012
Do Not Go Here
I have not been to Dr. Karon in many years, but felt the need to add a review. I have had extremely negative experiences. Most importantly, I was diagnosed with HPV at her office, which was later confirmed. HOWEVER, Dr. Karon also perscribed medication for genital warts, was unclear about application, and when I questioned whether or not it was actually working, her assistant called me back and scheduled surgery to have them removed. I went to another doctor for a second opinion, and was told that I had NO warts. I have consistently gone to another gynecologist annually since then, and this supposed problem never arose again. She was going to perform a completely unnecessary surgery on me. In addition, I went for a series of HPV shots that I learned later they did not administer in the appropriate time frame.

June 8th, 2011
Shes very knowledgable. I had surgery and am doing very well. Shes very nice. The reason why theres a delay when you have an appointment is because she gets stuck delivering babies. The staff is always apologetic and asks if you want to see the APRN or reschdeule.

May 17th, 2011
Not great
I have never waited so long for a doctor. In the waiting room, I sat for 30 minutes, which is normal; but then they took me into the exam room, told me to undress, and then I sat there without pants for over an hour. No one checked in on me or told me Dr. Karon was running behind. Additionally, she obviously did not read my chart since she wasn't aware of my medical history. Although I've visited that office several times over the past few years for regular pap smears, this was the first time I actually saw the physician, and it was only because I needed a procedure that only a PHD could perform. Typically, you'll see her Physician's Assistants. I don't recommend this doctor if you have questions about your health, don't have time to wait, or don't like cheesy waiting room decor...