Dr. Mahbod Paya MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.1

March 7th, 2016
BEST SURGEON IN THE WORLD..... YES I AM BIASED
I can't say enough wonderful things about Dr. Paya, and his staff. Especially Denny. I had my surgery, just about 18 months ago, gastric sleeve and went from a size 30 to a size 28, and plan to lose about 70 more pounds. I leave his cards where ever we go, on cruises. to the movies. I thin he has gotten 2 or 3 people from me doing this. My brother and sister-in-law (who happens to be a nurse a Northridge hospital} told me that Dr. Paya is one of the most highly regarded doctors in the valley. I had gone to another doctor, but through him you had to put together your own package i.e. him as you surgeon, then through the hospital )St. Joes) your had to find the doctor who put you under{come on people, please..... if I am paying cash I feel it should be down for me). Through Dr. Paya, it is all down for you. The doctor who puts you under has a wonderful sense of humor. I looked at the operating table, which was small in my estimation and I looked at him and said *I do not think my big butt will fit. He patted my back and laughed and said * honey, there have been much bigger butts than yours on this table, do not worry, we will take great care of you. AND THEY DID. FROM START TO FINISH., SO IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A DOCTOR AND STAFF THAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL SPECIAL, AND MORE IMPORTANT GIVE YOU THE BEST MEDICAL CARE IN THE WORLD DR. PAYA IS YOUR MAN.

October 21st, 2015
excellent and kind doctor.

December 24th, 2014
Great experience
Best Dr. and staff!!! They were all very caring and helpful. He changed my life. He did 2 surgeries for me and referred me to another amazing Dr. for my 3rd surgery. Couldn't have asked for a better experience

October 1st, 2014
Beware!
Two and a half years ago I had a revision of a lap band to a sleeve previously performed by Dr. Paya. I was told he was going to remove the slipped lap band and do a sleeve. Within the year I kept visiting him and mentioning I feel like there is something in my abdomen and he said no it nothing and never checked. Exactly a year later I ended up at the emergency room with a lower right side pain in my pelvic area. After an x-Ray and C-T scan they realized a foreign object " the tubing " of the band was left behind! It had dug into my appendix now removed and given pressure to my bladder. I wore a catheter for 3 weeks at risk it may have been longer if I couldn't urinate on my own. To make my story short after all this a second opinion told me my sleeve was also done incompletely! I had it redone by another doctor. I have reported Dr. Paya and he is under investigation but everyone I warn you go get checked out before you end up like me.

June 16th, 2014
Beware!

March 18th, 2013
Best Doctor for weight loss surgery
I have been a patient of Dr. Paya's for over a year. He did a sleeve surgery on me last and year and I have lost over 100 pounds. First let me tell you that most doctors don't know how to do the sleeve surgery and try to push the Lap Band on you- but Dr. Paya knows/does all the three forms of weight loss surgery and he helps you decide what is best for your weight loss. He spent a lot of time with me before and after surgery. Just FYI I went to all the top surgeons in the valley and the west side and Dr. Paya was the best amongst everyone. I couldn't be happier with his staff as well!!! Thank you Dr. Paya

May 31st, 2011
I have been to other doctors to see about a correction to a previous gastric bypass. While I was herded with the masses and never spoken to once about my "special" needs (from 1-800-get-thin). I was very pleased with my experience so far with Dr. Paya. I felt that I was finally getting the attention and care that I needed for my condition. He spoke to me about my options and after I had my endoscopy he sat me down and showed me the pictures and explained to me how he wanted to move forward in treatment.I have not had the lap-band done yet but if my experiences that I have had so far are condusive of the treatment I am going to receive I am sure I will be happy.It is nice to have a Doctor that communicates with you during this process.

July 18th, 2010
BEST SURGEON EVER
I completly disagree with the bad reviews. Dr. Paya is one of the most skilled surgeons in los angeles. I had a complicated abdominal problem that multiple surgeons missed. Dr Paya saw me immediately and diagnosed me correctly. He is not very talkative but he is skilled.

May 19th, 2010
Avoid this doctor
Poor bedside manor, no interest in any real diagnosis of my hospitalization, cold and uninterested but very very liberal with his bill. Do not see this doctor.

April 29th, 2010
Dr. Paya is the Best!!!!
When I saw Dr. Paya for a Lap Band consultation, I knew immediately that I wanted him to perform the procedure. He put my mind at ease by answering every single question I had without rushing me. His staff is awesome; very helpful. I had the surgery, and had no complications, very little discomfort, and I was back to work in a week. I recommend Dr. Paya to anyone!!

April 26th, 2010
Deborah Bidari
Dr. Paya performed surgery for my mom, Mary Smith. The surgery went very well and the healing time was minimal. No complications from surgery. I would refer Dr. Paya to anyone in need of GI surgery. Bedside manner is great and explains in details to patient and family. Many thanks to Doctor and his wonderful staff!

March 6th, 2010
in it for the money!
Very poor diagnostic ability.Never came to see me in the hospital, was discharged without seeing MD.Was unable to diagnose a hyatal hernia after five swallow studies. His reply to my constant vomiting was "but you look so good" Research your doctor before you let him touch you!