Dr. Malcolm Mackenzie Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Malcolm Mackenzie?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

May 12th, 2017

Good Scientist but Communication Needs Work

I read all of these glowing reviews before meeting with Dr. Mackenzie for the first time, which is why I am compelled to offer a different perspective here. I was referred to Dr. Mackenzie by a midwife due to an irregular pregnancy: low HCG levels, and bleeding. My first impression of Dr. Mackenzie was mixed. I thought he was an intelligent scientist who took the time to explain things to me. On the other hand, he asked me if I worked "outside the home." I was surprised that a doctor of women's medicine would find that question appropriate and wondered if he would ask the same question to a man. The next time I interacted with Dr. Mackenzie, my situation had escalated. I was suspected of having an ectopic pregnancy, and he recommended that I have a D&C to diagnose the intrauterine tissue followed by Methotrexate in the event that no pregnancy tissue was found in my uterus. I had the D&C, but due to my falling HCG levels, Dr. Mackenzie told me that I was probably "miscarrying" naturally and he didn't want to give me the Methotrexate without more evidence that the pregnancy was growing. However, he told me he was sending me home on "Death Watch." He said any sign of trouble and I should rush back to the ER. I assume he thought the Death Watch crack was funny, however, I did not. If you've ever gone through the ordeal of an ectopic pregnancy - frequent trips to the ER, panic at any sign of unusual pain or dizziness - a family to care for AND work out side the home (thank you very much) - you know that there is nothing funny or cute about this experience. It is extremely stressful, scary, and destabilizing. Being sent home from the ER on Death Watch was bad enough, but when my HCG levels doubled two days later, the doctor called me and told me I was now a "ticking time-bomb." This, understandably, threw me into a panic and I rushed back to the ER with my toddler and husband in tow. Due to a series of prolonged diagnostic tests and typical ER procedures, I did not receive the Methotrexate until 6 hours later. The long wait and frankly, defensive on-call doctor only exacerbated the stress of being told I was a "ticking time bomb." I believe that much of my anxiety could have been decreased if Dr. Mackenzie had chosen to use more respectful language when speaking to me about my condition - risks and all. Finally, I don't feel that I was properly warned of the side effects of the Methotrexate. When I spoke to Dr. Mackenzie on the phone, I asked him if people have serious side effects from the shot, and he said - "You could be the first!" Well, the morning after the shot, I woke up at 5am with intense pain in my abdomen and fell out of bed with spasms, then fainted. My husband woke me and brought me to the ER, where a lovely nurse told me that fainting from pain after Methotrexate was common and I should have been warned. Granted, the ER doctor gave me the handout about side effects and talked them through with me, but did not mention fainting from pain. I also had extreme fatigue, nausea, and back pain, and could not go back to work for several days. I was told that I would be back in my routine the next day (which is why I opted for the Methotrexate over the surgery.) All in all, I was dissatisfied and disheartened with the way I was treated by this practice. As I told my new doctor, I believe that Dr. Mackenzie is a very good scientist - but I need a different kind of person around when I am in a crisis.

February 2nd, 2017

Genuine gem of a doctor, best I've ever met

Dr. MacKenzie is an incredible blessing to women's health and wellness. His expertise in endometriosis excision is a gift to the women of Massachusetts and New England who need skilled, precise care & education. Kip's bedside manner is unparalleled, his attention to details and willingness to explain and answer all questions is beyond all expectations, and he is truly the most gifted surgeon I've ever had the honor of meeting!

April 25th, 2016

Excision specialist with wonderful bedside manner!

Excellent doctor, spends as much time with a patient as needed, so there may be a bit of a wait but well worth it. The staff is courteous and efficient. I am scheduled to have surgery with him on Wednesday and have nothing but good hopes for the outcome. I will update as needed.

April 13th, 2016

Amazing Doctor and staff!

April 1st, 2016

Dr. MacKenzie is an amazing physician. He is patient, supportive, understanding and has his patient's best interest in mind. His bedside manner is second to none. His goal of explaining disease, treatment and options are always met. Wonderful Doctor. Wonderful man. Wonderful human being.

January 24th, 2016

Beyond Compare

Dr. Mankenzie is, in a word, amazing! After a 17 year delayed diagnosis and one unskilled surgery I have little patience or confidence in the medical community but Dr. Mackenzie turned all of that around. His compassion and attentiveness are beyond compare and he treated me as a colleague, sharing information and medical studies as opposed to assuming that I'm ignorant about my condition. He immediately put me at ease and listened to my concerns with genuine interest. I travel 2 hours to see him and it is very much worth the trip, every time!!

June 29th, 2015

I have had to deal with a lot of doctors in my time, and Dr. Mackenzie is my favorite. His bedside manner couldn't be better. He is attentive, respectful,warm and caring. He takes the time to explain what he recommends and why, and works to make you feel empowered to make educated choices regarding your health.

April 6th, 2015

An AMAZING doctor... Wouldn't see anyone else!

August 20th, 2017