Orthopaedic Surgeon
1000 Welch Rd
Ste 203
Palo Alto, CA 94304
650-723-5256
Locations and availability (3)

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Fantastic surgeon, answered all of my questions and was committed to my follow-up and recovery success  |  show details
by HF on Mar 27th, 2014

Dr. Safran is an amazing surgeon---I didn't experience any of the problems people have commented on in other reviews. I had numerous issues (torn labrum, asymmetric hip bone, nearly all of the cartilage gone from my hip bone, a hip pocket that was too deep); my surgery was about two years ago, with nearly the entire year post-surgery for recovery. Dr. Safran was exceptional with follow-up. I had a schedule of appointments throughout the year from my first post-op visit (his staff was super flexible with my schedule) through to the one year follow-up. He also provided a very specific physical therapy plan for my physical therapist, which included exercises, bench marks and progress checks. At my post-op, he explained thoroughly what he did in surgery, walked me through the photos he took, answered ALL of the questions that me, my husband and my parents had. Not at any time did I feel rushed or that he was condescending. He is brusque and all business, though. Even during the course of my recovery, I received calls and check-ins from his staff (who were all always REALLY responsive and super nice); at one point when Dr Safran was out on vacation, and I had a question, they were able to get an answer from the on-call surgeon. My only complaint is the waiting time to actually see him. They'll get you into a room pretty quickly, but the wait time from there can be pretty darn long, however, to me it's worth it to have a surgeon of his caliber repairing my hip. Plus, having been one of his patients that was super late to an appointment due to bad traffic, I'm guessing some of his delays aren't his fault. I feel sad that other patients didn't have the fantastic experience I did.

|  Condescending and rude  |  show details
Oct 27th, 2012

Consulted and eventually operated on by Dr Safran. I should have run but hip arthroscopy is such a nascent field and Safran is supposedly at the forefront of this field as a thought-leader. Perhaps I was unfortunate with my subpar surgical results, but he was quick to avoid further follow-up care, suggesting a general surgeon instead, when I do not have any hernia symptoms. No matter how great a technician he may be, the rude behavior and poor interaction skills do not make him worthy of caring for any patients.

|  Excellent surgeon!  |  show details
May 28th, 2012

Dr. Safran is one of the best hip surgeons in the country. I flew clear across the country to see him. I've had one arthroscopic surgery for femoral acetabular impingement and will have the other hip done in a few weeks. He was able to diagnose my impingement within just a few minutes. I wish I could have seen him a few years ago, so as to save myself much pain. He is a very thorough physician who provides more than adequate time for the appointment. You might have to wait a little while for him to come in the room, but I figure that means he is only providing excellent care to someone else who needed a few more minutes of his time. His rehabilitation program for after surgery is quite comprehensive. He follows the latest research not only in regards to the surgery, but to the rehabilitation protocol. Bottom line, I would send my sister, son or friend to Dr. Safran any day!

Oct 1st, 2011

My overall experience was that of a very caring, efficient, and professional group that had nothing but my best outcome in mind when helping me-they all try their utmost best to help me-from the assistant who does the initial interview all of the way through to Dr Safran-he was great and leads his team very well!

|  Horrible  |  show details
Apr 14th, 2011

dont waste your time with Safran, I refuse to refer to him as a DR he is a rude, know-it all type that will not listen to your symptoms with an open mind and will not look at or consider reports from other Drs. I was referred to him by my orthopedic surgeon after having X-rays and an Arthogram w/contrast on my hip that showed I had several ligament tears on my right and necrossis on my left hip, my DR told me that Safran is one that would be able to repair the Tears. First I waited over a month for the appt and when I got there he made me take X-rays, even though I had all my reports and films that I had done they insisted that Safran insist on getting his own Xrays I didn't feel comfortable with this because I knew that the tears would not show up on the Xrays and the Arthogram should be sufficient but I had no choice if I wanted to be seen. When I finally get to see Safran has me do a few strength tests and tells me I have a hernia and that I need to see a general surgeon I ask him about the tears and he says there was no indication of such tears and them I ask him about the necrossis and he says he didn't see any, I tell him it's in my report and films he said it wasn't at this point I'm frustrated and ask for my films and reports that I had provided them and it takes them 5 min to find it, I look at the documents and noticed that it was not even looked at the report about the tears and necrossis was the first report he would have seen had he looked at the documents. I was so angry for waisting time and $ with this Fraud. I was hoping he was at least correct in the hernia diagnosis but of course I should have known better--- he was WRONG!

|  Past Patient  |  show details
Apr 7th, 2011

I had surgery by Dr. Safran, and got worse. He doesn't provide care, expertise or correct diagnosis. I need a total hip replacement when I was initially informed by Dr. Safran I would be okay at 3-4 months post op. Do your homework and research if you need arthroscopy. Go to Steadman Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Dr. Sampson in SAn Francisco or Dr. Kelly in New York. Ask a lot of questions. Unfortunately Dr. Safran doesnt like being questioned. He is not what anybody wants from their surgeon.

Dec 4th, 2010

amazing doctor. enough said.

|  disappointed mother  |  show details
Aug 14th, 2010

My 13 year old was refered to Dr. Safran's office by her orthopedist for a torn labrum (after and MRI). Dr. Safran ordered an expensive, invasive, and painful arthrogram of my daughters left hip. Our local imaging place overnighted the disk to him and his radiologist for review. I have called his office 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Our radiology reports that the arthrogram shows a frayed labrum. His MA has told me repeatedly that she has asked him to please call us with results and a plan of care. I called again last night, and was told that he would call me in the morning before he left on vacation for 2 weeks. Guess what, no phone call! By the time he gets back, it will have been a month since her test. This guy has no idea how to deal with pediatric patients. He told my daughter (who is a stud and took the needle in her joint like a champ), that if the injection took her pain away, that was bad news and she needed to have surgery. The injection took her pain from 7 to 0 and she has been worried ever since. I'm sorry, but I find this unacceptable as a parent. He could have taken 30 seconds to call to let her know the plan instead of making us wait for a month for results. We aren't waiting. I explained the situation to Dr. Carlos Guanche in Van Nuys, he is taking her as a patient right away. Hopefully we will have better luck there! Good luck to you! Do research before you send your child anywhere. Stanford has some great MD's for children, this isn't one of them!

by cd on Feb 8th, 2010

Dr. Safran may come with an impressive resume, but look out! When asked why he was considering this or that option, he got very nasty, very quickly. He can't stand an adult dialogue. Overall, he's a boy in a man's body, and a very insecure one at that. For something as important as surgery, don't trust this guy.

|  Book smart but lacking  |  show details
by Frustrated Patient on Feb 4th, 2010

The doctor seems intelligent. He is not able to convey it to his patients. I've seem him twice. You leave his office feeling stupid and frustrated. He does not acknowledge you concerns or questions. He is a good example of what you do not want in you doctor.