Dr. Mardjan Foroutan MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8

October 26th, 2016
Not a good experience
I left this appointment feeling worse than when I went in. To start, the staff seemed nice, but while I was waiting, they were joking about someone “always having issues” and it sounded like it was about a patient, which seemed inappropriate. I could tell that things were not going to go well with the doctor herself pretty early on, as she started going off on a tangent about one of my family member’s medical problems like “oh no, the doctors just do X to fix that problem” even discussing it in front of me with the other doctor she had invited to sit in (though she had not asked me if it was ok) and even kind of arguing with me about the severity of the issue, when this is something my family had been dealing with, with a lot of doctors, for months which was adding to my own mental health challenges. In my frustration at that, I teared up a bit, and she took it as “oh so you cry all the time, right?” which is completely untrue and a rather big leap. It continued in this basic line, not even letting me try to finish putting what was going on with me into words, and she had what I felt was a rather unprofessional response to the fact that my husband and I did not have children, first by asking what was wrong that I didn’t, and then after I indicated it was by choice saying “What are you in some kind of trouble or something?” and acting incredulous. Perhaps she was joking? If so I didn't get that impression. Just a generally judgmental demeanor, without really listening. Using language like “even normal people can’t handle their stress sometime” is also pretty crummy thing to hear from the person who is supposed to be helping you, when you are already struggling with feeling like you should be able to just get over your issues, and can’t. Honestly, if I wasn’t already so wound up and stressed over the interaction, I would have walked out in the middle, but instead ended up making my next appointment, knowing I’d never go, and crying in my car to my husband who basically confirmed I should never step foot in there again. She did prescribe me three prescriptions, which was a positive step for me in part. One was helpful, but one I was given a voucher for , and the pharmacist said he was never able to get a response from her to verify it. It would cost me almost $300 for a month without the voucher, so I never got it. The last was a vitamin blend that would have cost me over $100!!! She did say that she could help me figure out how to just make up that mix from GNC if that was the case, but that seems like a ridiculous thing to prescribe at all then when from what I understand from the pharmacist, almost no insurances will cover it. I said to my therapist that I was so glad that this doctor was not my first experience with a mental health professional, or I’d have honestly never gone back for any kind of help again, as this is not easy for me at all. She might work very well with some people who are pretty thick skinned (and usually I am, but apparently not enough), or who already know what their issues are and what they need, and just need a check in and a prescription. Or maybe you just have to have a lifestyle and personality she clicks with. If that’s possibly not you, I’d find someone with a little different approach. It's been several months, but worth the wait for me to be finally be doing the same.

January 15th, 2016
She helped me a lot with my anxiety. Love her to death!

May 23rd, 2015
Horrible
Saw Dr F today. She didn't listen to what I had to say. She started off by saying hi nice too meet you. You don't look like someone I would normally see what's your story. I told her what was going on and gave her some of my past and she was stuck on something that wasn't even relevant at this current time. She also was 45 mins late. Never felt more put down or angry after a session in my life. I will not go back nor will I ever recommend her to anyone.

September 15th, 2014
Absolutely horrible. Was incredibly rude and unwilling to listen to patients. Talked down to me as if I was stupid and was a very angry psychiatrist.

July 22nd, 2013
A different approach - for me, a better approach to behavioral health
Dr Foroutan does not let me wallow in self-pity. She challenges me to say exactly what is wrong with me, accepts it, helps give me professional and intellectual insight into my issues, then we work together to choose the right medication and work on a follow-up plan. My condition will so far as we know last the rest of my life, but it can be managed if done so carefully. I have been her patient on and off for years. If I had been able to stay with her during those "off" years, I would be been in much better shape mentally.

April 16th, 2013
very cheerful environment, puts you right at ease! And the Doctor is a darling. My Dad is feeling so much better!

January 15th, 2012
the most important step in my life
It was hard for me to go and see her but I am so glad I did. I feel so much better, thank you Dr Foroutan

January 7th, 2012
She needs to read the DSM-IV
Her diagnosis was not even congruent with DSM-IV. A clueless and worthless Dr. who hasn't read a medical journal since 1985.

December 7th, 2011
Lifesaver
Dr. Foroutan took time with me and told me that I did not even realize how depressed I was even on medication. She listened and was very empathetic. As a result, she changed my medication. I have never felt this quote "normal" in my life. She is incredible!

September 13th, 2010
she was firm with me when I needed her to be firm and helped me face up to my challanges

September 13th, 2010
bipolar
A good mix of compassion

April 19th, 2010