Dr. Maria Carter DO Patient Reviews

August 8th, 2015
A REAL Family Doctor
Maria Carter saved my life by noticing problems that were pre- existing were NOT the cause of a quick weight gain plus other signs other doctors said were mental. I had a mitral valve damage and because she cared, I'm still alive today. During that same time period she had to argue with hospital personnel for me as I was finally (after 5 mos) diagnosed with an 8 percent working gallbladder that was basically slugde. A hospital here in Springfield told me that she needed to take care of her own people and stop sending me to them! I was appalled. They said too that I probably needed mental help as they couldn't find the cause but they never did a HIDA scan which would have found the problem quickly. She never gave up on me, not for a second. When I was put in the hospital she called me directly to see what the doctors were telling me even though she had already spoke to them. She always kept a close eye out for me even though she had a work load of her patients at her office. She also put a name to the severe tiredness and pain my body experienced and didn't just tell me I needed a phsycologist. She did a thorough lookup of this problem and has worked with me to try to have a decent quality of life. She also helped me through the care of my mother, who also was a patient, when mom went through dementia. All of Maria's nurse's and workers are such a great caring bunch of people. These people are like family to me and I'd hate to EVER lose Maria as my doctor. I will recommend this doctor to anyone who wants a caring, upfront doctor who if she doesn't know what is wrong with you, she'll find someone who can help. I truly love her and her staff.

February 25th, 2014
Dr. Maria Carter is a exceptional Doctor. I come from a family of Doctors, Military Commanders, Black Ops, Engineers, etc. Maria is a Kind & Caring Dr. with more than enough Knowledge for her excellent Placement in the Medical field. I've noticed though that her Nurses etc. have gotten much "nicer" since I've read these reviews. I think they are having a positive impact on better patient/nurse relations. I'm a male patient and I have to say, Maria I Love You! Keep up the good work. I'll see you tomorrow for my appointment. Just take it a little easier on those Prostate exams! LOL! Sincerely BTL. P.S. Debbie, take it easy and go with the flow. This is a business, not the office of the German SS! Just take a Chill Pill?

July 8th, 2013
Dr Carter and her staff are friendly and knowledgeable. If you want a Physician who is down to earth and listens, she is a great choice. She has performed my physicals, removed cancerous lesions from my face and diagnosed my thyroid problem.

July 11th, 2012
couldn't ask for better
Dislike doctors very much, but when I didn't have a choice my wife suggested her. She has worked with me, and listened. Even though no doctors have figured out what is wrong yet, at least she always has an idea of where to go next. Many of the ideas she had off the top of her head have improved my health, not sure how useful a human I would be without her at this point. She is exceptional for the tools she has available. I'm no more important than the next guy, but she sure does her best to make it seem that way.

June 21st, 2012
They could care less, but only a bit less
Dr Carter seems confident and knowledgeable at first, then you realize that her answer for almost everything is "you are getting older" or "you have just gained a few pounds" or "I will check up on you". Unless you have high blood pressure (like me) and there is something on paper saying definitively what you have then it is all make believe to this woman.Let's get to my blood pressure. I was called in to have my blood drawn, fasted for a day, had to take time off work, etc. I got there, they fiddled around trying to figure out what to do, then advised me that my health insurance required me to go to a particular site to get my blood drawn. How convenient that they decided to get a clue about how to take care of me only once I get there, making me have to take more time from work and wait even longer due to having no appointment at the 2nd location.I then get put on medication for my blood pressure. After 5-6 months of taking the medication, the doctor would like to see me again to check up on me, here's where I just love this lazy worthless staff she has. Do they call me? Nope, then just stop refilling my meds, BLOOD PRESSURE MEDS! I wait while my Rx faxes the request, 2 more days later I'm out of meds they fax again, I call in the next day and oh by the way she wants to see me before they refill my meds. I question the process and they agree to refill my meds but ask me to schedule an appointment.Prepare to do all the work and follow ups yourself with this doctor. If you have symptoms that don't just go away (because she will tell you that's just what symptoms do is go away) then find a specialist, DO NOT rely on this doctor. If you want my advise just don't go to this worthless shack of a building they are worthless. I'm looking for a new doctor as I right this, reading reviews this time before I pick.

May 24th, 2011
Refused to refer me to a specialist for a 2nd opinion
I started seeing Maria Carter as my family doctor when my longtime family doctor retired and recommended her. For the first 6 months or so that I saw her, I really liked her-- she seemed kind and caring, took time to listen. Then she seemed to have less and less time for me, and she expected medical students to be able to take care of all my needs. I asked to see her instead of the student, and she saw me but stood by the door looking at her watch while I tried to talk. I started looking for another doctor then. But immediately I began to have symptoms that could be serious, and she rightly schedule an MRI for me at the hospital. But then she insisted on interpreting the MRI report herself-- the statistics were contradictory and "inconclusive," she said, which she interpreted to mean something positive rather than an indication of a need for further testing or treatment. This didn't sound right to me, because my symptoms were no better. So, I asked her for a referral to a specialist in that area because I still had symptoms, and she laughed at me. She said I worry too much, which had created the symptoms. She said she could be my specialist, so to speak, by giving me yearly checkups. I asked again for a referral to a specialist, but she just told me to make an appointment for a checkup with her, and she left the room. I went straight to a family clinic that could refer me to a specialist, anyway. The specialist worked me in immediately because, he said, the MRI actually DID indicate the need for a biopsy. It turned out that I had cancer. I had surgery immediately and was lucky enough not to need chemo because it had not yet progressed. Now, I don't blame Dr Carter for misreading the MRI, because anybody can make a mistake. But her arrogant attitude could have had very bad results if I had followed her, and I also feel I did not deserve to be laughed at. After my diagnosis of cancer, I called her office manager to ask her to relay the facts to Dr. Carter, because I would want a chance, myself, to learn from the situations. But the manager became irate and defensive, as if I were accusing Dr. Carter of deliberate misinformation and misconduct. I couldn't get a word in edgewise. I tried to tell her that I knew I would have had the cancer whether or not Dr Carter had acted as she did, so I did not blame her for my condition, but this manager would not listen to me. She said I was expecting too much of a GP (no kidding? So, send me to a specialist, already!), and basically she worked herself up into a frenzy. I just quietly hanged up and walked away from the whole mess there. The level of bullying and complete dysfunction at all levels of that office is pretty scary.

August 12th, 2009
Dr. Carter is caring and personable and in the past has taken as much time as needed to listen and discuss my situation. I appreciate her knowledge of and willingness to use alternate treatments, supplements, etc. along with mainstream medicines as needed. Was disappointed at my last appt. as I was seen by an assistant (trainee? nurse? not sure what position she held), instead of by Dr. Carter. I don't mind being seen or interviewed by an assistant, but when I go to the doctor, I would like to actually have the appt. with the doctor - or at least a few minutes with her. One minor "irksome" point is that the office has a notice saying that if the patient is more than 15 minutes late, the appt. will be rescheduled for a later time. I've never been late and I don't mind a reasonable office wait, but their displaying this notice and then requiring the patient to wait up to an hour (usually at least a half hour) seems rather one-sided. As for Dr. Carter, I think she's great and I do appreciate her knowledge, skill, and bedside manner. I hope next time I'll actually be able to see HER, though, and that it will not be the norm to see an assistant instead.

June 11th, 2009
Dr Carter
You will not find a nicer, kinder doc than Dr. Maria Carter. She is extremely smart and yet very caring. I am an old man and I have been to many docs. She is a real, caring, intelligent human being and a fantastic doctor. Also, Lora is wonderful. She is great too.

April 20th, 2009
Wonderful Experience
I have had nothing but good experiences from Dr. Carter and her staff. I am pleased to have her as my doctor.

March 23rd, 2009
She ordered a MRI on my hip and called me with the results. Sent me to physical therapist who informed me the MRI was of the incorrect joint, not the damaged one.